Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:42 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What "propaganda" is it exactly?
I did not express myself well. Here is the propaganda:

Forcing people to reside with people that are different from themselves increases tolerance and respect.

In actuality, the "forcing" part tends to decrease tolerance and respect due to the interference in private life. Instead, programs should encourage, but not force people to live with people who are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I did not express myself well. Here is the propaganda:

Forcing people to reside with people that are different from themselves increases tolerance and respect.

In actuality, the "forcing" part tends to decrease tolerance and respect due to the interference in private life. Instead, programs should encourage, but not force people to live with people who are different.
And how does the college know the personalities of their students? They don't. I'm white, I lived with white female roommates. Some of them were like me, some weren't. And how are students supposed to choose their roommate if they have no idea who their fellow students are? Are they supposed to interview thousands of candidates ahead of time, then choose? No.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
And how does the college know the personalities of their students? They don't.
They don't need to. Rather, they should let people choose two options:

A- select their own roomates
B- enter into a random pool.

As an incentive, dorms catering to choice 'b' can be the newer ones, or those with more creature comforts, or a better location.
Quote:
And how are students supposed to choose their roommate if they have no idea who their fellow students are?
Facebook, internet forums and other social media sites?
Quote:
Are they supposed to interview thousands of candidates ahead of time, then choose?
No, they could interview as few or as many as they want and have time to do. Likewise, they could interview nobody and enter the random pool (choice 'b').

Old 09-14-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Facebook and other social media sites?
Seriously? Really, you really know people simply by them being on social media? Lol, wow. Give me a break. People have to live with strangers in dorms, deal with it. That's life.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:04 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
It's hard for colleges to pair up people based on the limited information they have. My freshman year, I was paired with a guy who was *way* out on the Asperger's spectrum. He said hello about halfway through the year. I am more of a party guy. We were paired on the basis of both being white and middle class, interested in music, and interested in science. His interest in music was to listen to Wagner with headphones on; mine was to play Crosby, Stills, and Nash songs on my guitar. My interest in science also died freshman year when I was exposed to economics. You can imagine how well we got along.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:14 PM

296 posts, read 319,035 times
Yikes. My freshman roommate was really chill. And he was barely there half the time because he was pledging his fraternity.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Seriously? Really, you really know people simply by them being on social media?
Each person answers that question for themselves. Are you afraid of people making their own choices regarding whom they live with?
Quote:
People have to live with strangers in dorms, deal with it. That's life.
People do have to live with strangers in dorms, but that does not have to be life. And yes, I dealt with it successfully. Even still, I want others to have more freedom.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Each person answers that question for themselves. Are you afraid of people making their own choices regarding whom they live with?

People do have to live with strangers in dorms, but that does not have to be life. And yes, I dealt with it successfully. Even still, I want others to have more freedom.
What a weird question. Why would I be afraid of people making their own decisions regarding dorms? I did the college thing already, I really have no horse in this game, I just find your suggestions impractical.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:37 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Edited out my question, as it was already asked.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
What a weird question. Why would I be afraid of people making their own decisions regarding dorms? I did the college thing already, I really have no horse in this game, I just find your suggestions impractical.
Some people are just afraid of changes and the proposal calls for a change. But OK, you are not afraid of the change.

I don't think my idea (allowing people to select their own room mates if they choose to and if they are comfortable with it) is impractical at all. It does not matter if 5, 50, or 500 people use the option, it would still be beneficial to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events