Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 03:10 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times

Advertisements

People cook waffles in a oven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 03:29 PM

306 posts, read 365,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Heh. That's the first thought that came to my mind too.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:14 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Boy she is lucky she wasnt killed!!!

Stupid place to put that kidna stuff!!!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:24 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Boy she is lucky she wasnt killed!!!

Stupid place to put that kidna stuff!!!
Nothing to do with luck. A round going off outside of a firearm has nothing to contain the explosion so comparatively it's mostly harmless, the brass tears open, the bullet has little force behind it.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Only in Florida

Old 09-14-2016, 05:33 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Shrapnel from the case would not be fun.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:14 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
This is kind of related:

My first job out of high school back in 1977 was as an appliance tech. We got a call in saying that their GAS dryer wouldn't ignite, and dry clothes.

I get to the house, and the dryer is in the basement, of which the floor is covered with dog crap, and smells too high heaven. Anyway, I go over to the the dryer to scope it out. Nope, burner won't ignite. I pull OFF the bottom kick-panel, to look at the burner unit (which is built sort of like a flamethrower type style). I'm looking around it, and notice ONE of the burner wires (which are asbestos covered to keep them from melting) is broken in half. That just can't easily happen by itself, and I was WTF?

I continue to look, and notice that there was several/3 loaded and viable 12 gauge SHOTGUN shells laying in the bottom of the dryer, and one is laying very close to the exit of the burner!

Turns out the husband is a hunter, AND the wife (like most typical wives) didn't properly check all pockets before throwing clothes in for drying. The shells fell out of his clothes, made their way through the front or back drum seal, fell into the bottom, and got into a position that could have perhaps blown the house up, or at least cause a bad fire, and/or kill anybody close by when they went off, IF the ignitor had remained viable to light the flame.

So, perhaps more proof that angels DO exist to protect (some) stupid people?

I know this much, there's no likely way that wire simply broke by itself in the way it did...

Old 09-14-2016, 06:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
A cartridge that fires outside a gun does not present a problem. What makes a bullet travel from the chamber to the muzzle and rapidly accelerating is the obturation (sealing) of the chamber except at the opening to the barrel A bullet requires very high pressure to do this, often in excess of 50,000 p.s.i. The barrel of the gun has a small diameter so it's easy to reach this pressure. A cartridge firing without this has very little pressure.

The U.S. Army performed some experiments during the early thirties. They used a small light cardboard box. They placed a bar of common soap inside the box along with a cartridge. Wires were run to the cartridge allowing it to be remotely fired. The results showed that was no damage to the bar of soap. Only one shot marked the box. it made a very slight dent. The man who did the experiments was General Julian Hatcher who was involved in ordnance during his entire career. He recounted this in his boook Hatcher's Notebook. It's a fascinating work so I'll link to it. It's been in print for almost sixty years.

https://www.amazon.com/Hatchers-Note...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Old 09-14-2016, 08:48 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
They can.

Eggo Waffles, Homestyle*- Wegmans

Eggo Waffles directions:

"Oven: 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees - 450 degrees F. 2. Place waffles flat on baking sheet in oven for about 5 minutes or until crispy and hot."

If you want to make them for three or four people that is easier than doing it two at a time in a toaster.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 PM

25 posts, read 23,504 times
Hmmm...not the brightest bulb on the tree, eh? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events