Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 12:32 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
When I started college, all students were required to take a swimming test. If you couldn't swim, your next term of PE was a required survival swimming course.
California requires students to pass a swim test in order to graduate from highschool. I don't think there's a similar requirement for out-of-state college students, but maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
When I started college, all students were required to take a swimming test. If you couldn't swim, your next term of PE was a required survival swimming course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
California requires students to pass a swim test in order to graduate from highschool. I don't think there's a similar requirement for out-of-state college students, but maybe.
Back in the dinasour age when I went to high school in Chicago we were required to learn to swim as one of the criteria for graduation. But even the best swimmers can panic. My guess is that's what happened here. The information being given about these students is just not enough to be able draw any definite conclusions about why they all drowned.

In any case it's a tragedy that these young lives were lost.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:12 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Jesus Christ people! 1 woman fell while taking a selfie. 4 people jumped into save her and all died trying.

Darwin award? Oh we are so much better sitting behind a computer we can mock their deaths! Just...Jesus Christ!
Actually the one that originally fell in survived. It was the five people who jumped in to save her who all drowned.

That is just weird.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:23 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Actually the one that originally fell in survived. It was the five people who jumped in to save her who all drowned.

That is just weird.
I didn't even catch that..

I double down on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I'm usually skeptical and this is another time. I don't understand how one person goes in who can't swim, so 4 other people go in to help, who also can't swim.

give it a few days, pratyusha will be investigated..

Old 09-21-2016, 02:38 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,491,591 times
They died trying to save a friend, that is so sad. People don't have to be Olympic swimmers, but at least learn to float. Dang, that's depressing.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:16 PM

1,149 posts, read 933,810 times
Yep, that and texting deaths are on the rise. Smh.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Learning to swim, unfortunately, is not considered a priority in Indian culture. This is one of the subtle results of overpopulation. The effects of overpopulation go far beyond competition for food, water and shelter. In a less densely populated country like the U.S or Canada, the school system has a much better chance of providing a well-rounded education for students. In India, it's all about academics, resulting in graduates who have lopsided life experience. Universities are merely factories for churning out graduates in their chosen field, but these graduates all lack life skills. Ever wonder why all Indian students fresh from India look so awkward and weird in the West? They have no confidence at all and just look out of place. Overpopulation. If they are young enough, university education in a Western country can partially or fully reverse the effects. But most older adults can never adapt.

It's really simple:

An American school can make something out of a moron.
An Indian school will ruin a genius's life.

PS: Indian here.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:21 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
I didn't even catch that..

I double down on this.
Jesus dude...100k people drown in that country annually.

So basically, from the other side of the world based upon your cultural upbringing you think the whole thing is *shady*.

You guys seriously have zero clue but hey....if it makes you feel superior to have some sort of insight that everyone else has missed from thousands of miles away....go for it.

Standard conspiracy theory junkies, boosting their own ego via insights nobody else has. Sigh.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:09 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
I'm usually skeptical and this is another time. I don't understand how one person goes in who can't swim, so 4 other people go in to help, who also can't swim.

give it a few days, pratyusha will be investigated..
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post

Because they were trying to save her. What's hard to understand about this story?
Quote:
No, but four people suddenly forget they can't swim. If it was that easy to just do, wouldn't the first girl have figured it out? Instead four people ..... forget?? That they can't swim..

At some point, theres no possible positive outcome for running into a burning building.

Do you just believe everything you are told?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They also likely panicked. Stories like this are not entirely uncommon and it's happened here in the US as well.

Also people may think they can just go a little ways to help someone but then can't make it the short distance back.

Also, as I noted in a post that got orphaned, many people of their almost certainly higher status in India do not know how to swim due to cultural influences and views. They lose over 100k people a year to drowning.
It doesn't help to make a post about a post that is gone. Why do you assume they panicked? I don't believe that FIVE people couldn't just "suddenly not make it back"
Quote:
Just based upon the article it seems likely there are translational issues and like we often see in the press they get basic facts wrong all the time. I see this all the time in our own press whenever the topic gets into something I have a lot of knowledge about.

Obviously we didn't get nearly enough facts to draw any conclusion whatsoever and I trust that the local authorities there are not stupid enough to just accept the deaths of four people if they clearly shouldn't have.
Did you read this article too? The one that says all of them could swim??
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
According to this they could all swim... how nice of some posters who find it amusing to mock these young people drowning..
Mystery over deaths of five students who 'drowned while trying to take SELFIES' at beauty spot - Mirror Onlineand maybe the American blacks never learned bechttps://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2015-03-26/black-swimmers-sweep-away-a-stereotypeause they werent allowed to mix in swimming pools... just a thought..
Is it you just don't trust the media in general or because it doesn't go along with what you are saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yes possibly, "The Hindu" website says they could swim. Other Indian sites don't mention whether they could or not.
Quote:
Jesus dude...100k people drown in that country annually.

So basically, from the other side of the world based upon your cultural upbringing you think the whole thing is *shady*.

You guys seriously have zero clue but hey....if it makes you feel superior to have some sort of insight that everyone else has missed from thousands of miles away....go for it.

Standard conspiracy theory junkies, boosting their own ego via insights nobody else has. Sigh.
Neither do you. So why do you keep feeling the need to say everyone else is wrong? We are having a discussion about this in here, and you just keep trying to insult those that don't go along with your own assumptions. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. You are not required to believe it or respond to it. If you are going to though you should try to be; on topic, productive, and make a point that isn't just petty insults. You should also try to include the other information in the thread even if it contradicts you.

Why do you ignorantly assume my idea is based on culture and not on the peculiarity of the situation, or that I feel good in any way about it? What does cultural upbringing have anything to do with it??

(P.S. I have traveled the world, including India. I have spent 5 years living outside of this continent in 3 different countries and been to another 50. I'm certainly more culturally aware then you are trying to give me credit for. How about you? )

Old 09-22-2016, 12:18 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Did you read this article too? The one that says all of them could swim??
The one that says... why are you so fixated on this one line from one article? Does it really even matter if they could swim? It doesn't change the fact that they all drowned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events