Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 09:21 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times

Advertisements

I dont get these awards myself.. dont understand them.. I wonder if hes pleased.. I was just listeing and watching his son Jakob singing on youtube.. Is it true Bobs name was take from Mr Dillon in Gunsmoke.. I read there that it was and not from Dylan Thomas who he never liked... or so its said..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 02:29 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Can you give us an example of a non-mumbling perfomance where he actually sounds good? On second thought, never mind, hearing his singing ranks up there with getting a cavity filled or having a prostate exam.
If you actually listen to his songs, he has vocal range, control, etc. I have heard "early" Dylan, prior to the style choice. He still sounds like him but sings very nicely. I don't have any links, I heard tapes of him...pre you-tube. I am sure its out there, somewhere online. I don't know where.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:30 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Bob Dylan 1966 Scottish gig recordings to be released - The Scotsman

Old 10-15-2016, 03:54 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
I tihnk he was BEST in the 60s

Old 10-15-2016, 03:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
If you actually listen to his songs, he has vocal range, control, etc. I have heard "early" Dylan, prior to the style choice. He still sounds like him but sings very nicely. I don't have any links, I heard tapes of him...pre you-tube. I am sure its out there, somewhere online. I don't know where.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:14 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well I remember my Dad listening to the "Freewheeling Bob Dylan" and almost being driven to violence (and that was before Dylan ruined what little vocal ability had with years of heavy smoking). What about his recent standards and Christmas albums? He wasn't mumbling on those and they were atrocious. I think if you are truly honest about it, you have to admit that he's a bad singer and even worse harmonica player. His guitar playing is adequate for folk music, but there is nothing special about his chord progressions or melodies. It's all about the lyrics - and that's why I really don't have a problem with his Nobel prize. Now if they had a music category and he won it, that would be a different story.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:33 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

I suppose this this is what qualifies as decent singing in the folk, country, rock/pop worlds. In fairness, however, I admit that I wouldn't smash my clock radio if it woke me up with either of these.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:47 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Tell them to chill. Haruki Murakami is only 67, and a young 67 at that. Plenty of time to win awards. Certainly in the history of the prize, Europeans and Americans have been favored, but it IS a European award. And two Japanese authors have won in the past so it's not as if the Japanese have been excluded. Now if Japanese women wanted to complain, that would be a different story.
Well, they are all women, and all of them of Chinese descent. Ironically, a couple of them have gone on at length numerous times about how they hate the Japanese and have warned that they can't be criticized for doing so due to Japan's treatment of the Chinese during WW2... but, well, anything you can use to get torqued off and claim some social justice points, amirite??

I actually like Murakami's writing a lot. Norwegian Wood was amazing. I certainly think he deserves plenty of recognition for his work. This said, I don't think Bob Dylan's influence on society and culture should be discounted... as I said, he's a brilliant lyricist (singer, less so).

Old 10-16-2016, 05:37 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I actually like Murakami's writing a lot. Norwegian Wood was amazing. I certainly think he deserves plenty of recognition for his work. This said, I don't think Bob Dylan's influence on society and culture should be discounted... as I said, he's a brilliant lyricist (singer, less so).
I think the nobel price in literature should be given to people who write literature... not old school pop singers. This "cheapens" the prize. 40 years from now they will give it out to Lady Gaga and 50 cent.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
He is a great songwriter. I was so surprised to see this, though. I don't know if I've ever seen the Nobel awarded for someone's lyrics before.

1966 would have been more appropriate than 2016, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events