Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The high school graduation rate in the U.S. reached an all-time high of 83 percent in the 2014-2015 school year, President Obama announced today, marking the fifth straight record-setting year.

Achievement gaps have narrowed even as all boats have risen. Graduation rates range from 90 percent for students who identify as Asian/Pacific Islanders to 64 percent for students with disabilities.

In remarks at Benjamin Banneker Academic High School in Washington, D.C., the president used the good-news announcement as an opportunity to tout his education initiatives, from Preschool for All through the America's College Promise free community college partnership.

"When I took office almost eight years ago, we knew that our education system was falling short," he said. "I said, by 2020 I want us to be No. 1 across the board, so we got to work making real changes to improve the chances for all of our young people ... And the good news is that we've made real progress."
The High School Graduation Rate Reaches A Record High
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Do you have a take on the article or topic? It seems you've started threads only to link to an article without posting any thoughts of your own. Seems like a waste of time and lazy to be honest as this is a message board not a news feed

Edit by count you have started 26 of the threads listed on this first page and the vast majority follow this copy/paste posting

Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Do you have a take on the article or topic? It seems you've started threads only to link to an article without posting any thoughts of your own. Seems like a waste of time and lazy to be honest as this is a message board not a news feed

Edit by count you have started 26 of the threads listed on this first page and the vast majority follow this copy/paste posting
Okay...thanks for the update. I lost count. You are right...I am wasting time and I am lazy. Do you have a take on the article or topic or are you here to harass me...

Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
Too bad 70% of those don't have the basic skills to enter college without remedial classes.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:37 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Okay...thanks for the update. I lost count. You are right...I am wasting time and I am lazy. Do you have a take on the article or topic or are you here to harass me...
You are far from being harrassed but you should do a bit more than copy/paste and run off because that is lazy.

As for your article the graduation should be higher than it is

Old 10-18-2016, 06:53 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Too bad 70% of those don't have the basic skills to enter college without remedial classes.
Yep. Social promotion to make room for illegals and refugees.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:10 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Don't worry about it dude. I'm guessing that person woke up looking to be mad at something. I know you post a lot of the articles that way, and I appreciate you starting a discussion. I have done it a couple times, mostly knowing that I want to start a conversation, but I either need to compose my words better, or want to see how the conversation starts off from someone with either a little more experience or a little more passion for a subject. There next comment about how

Quote:
marking the fifth straight record-setting year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You are far from being harrassed but you should do a bit more than copy/paste and run off because that is lazy.

As for your article the graduation should be higher than it is
just proves my point.

Back to the thread, It is great its been increasing to a new max every year for the last five and that's great, but I feel like there is some information missing here. ACT and SAT scores are down so its not necessarily getting better overall. Ohio stayed steady, while Georgia increased graduation rates by 10% over the last 6 years. I'm not going to do any research to find the answer, but am I the only one who feels like there is some small area (a state or two, or maybe some small graduation requirement change), that is probably responsible for most of the increase?

Quote:
Is this just another classic percentage you came up with? Its certainly not anywhere in this article.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Yep. Social promotion to make room for illegals and refugees.

Make Room for Baby Daddy?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Don't worry about it dude. I'm guessing that person woke up looking to be mad at something. I know you post a lot of the articles that way, and I appreciate you starting a discussion. I have done it a couple times, mostly knowing that I want to start a conversation, but I either need to compose my words better, or want to see how the conversation starts off from someone with either a little more experience or a little more passion for a subject. There next comment about how

just proves my point.

Back to the thread, It is great its been increasing to a new max every year for the last five and that's great, but I feel like there is some information missing here. ACT and SAT scores are down so its not necessarily getting better overall. Ohio stayed steady, while Georgia increased graduation rates by 10% over the last 6 years. I'm not going to do any research to find the answer, but am I the only one who feels like there is some small area (a state or two, or maybe some small graduation requirement change), that is probably responsible for most of the increase?
I'm not worried...he can't even spell harassed properly. I appreciate his obsession with me regardless of how creepy it is.

Anyways, like the employment rate this is smoke and mirrors.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:52 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Sadly, given the long history of graduating kids and shuffling them along when they can barely read....I can't trust many of the most troubled public school systems to honestly test or graduate students.

There have been too many cheating scandals to count or trust these results.

Who knows, maybe they are up now because schools for a while were forcing out bad students to help their standardized test scores for NCLB....maybe after that they've gone back to graduating illiterates so their numbers have rebounded?

P.S. My kids went to public school, most are really good. However, in predominantly urban areas there can be some real problems, often exacerbated by corruption and racial\economic segregation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events