Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:32 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
83% is pathetic. But I guess it's good news because it's not 75%.
It's clustered in areas with extreme poverty.

My kids public school is in the upper 90%'s.
10 miles away in a metro area it's been 60% give or take....which is gangs, poverty and despair driven.
That public school system keeps getting political get out of trouble cards for not meeting goals but what are they supposed to do? They're dealing with kids that in so many cases don't even have steady square meals or steady family units and they often come from families without a tradition of education....show up to kindergarten never having been read a book. Sigh.

How do you fix that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 10:34 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
I think this is good news. Maybe the curriculum isn't what it used to be in many schools, but completing something successfully builds confidence.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:37 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I think this is good news. Maybe the curriculum isn't what it used to be in many schools, but completing something successfully builds confidence.
So does completing a puzzle, but that won't help me get a job.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Just another pat-ourselves-on-the-back story. Self-serving, deceitful, nothing-to-see-here propaganda from the education establishment.

Alabama ranks third in nation for graduation rate | AL.com

If Alabama has the 3rd highest HS graduation rate in the country, we're in deep doo-doo.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:42 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Anyway, it seems no one is defending the highschool graduation rate as real but rather recognizing it as faking results to get around federal guidelines. But Obama is touting it as an accomplishment.

Kinda puts a bad taste in your mouth when you know the kids getting "fake passes" are generally poor\minority students.

I mean, rather than address the issue, they are pointing to fake numbers and declaring success regardless of the actual outcome in education and ability to be employable.
The world still needs ditchdiggers.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
You guys keep mentioning Obama, but it started with George W. and the "No Child Left Behind Act" and has certainly continued with the current administration. Trust me, this is a problem that was propagated by both parties and we are stuck with the results.

Just because a standard is set does not mean that the schools should be able to cheat to meet it. The standards were created so that bad schools would be shut down or the administration replaced, not to fake the results so they can keep their jobs.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your claim was the current unemployment rate is often compared to times in which it was measured differently so I asked when that was because since 1945 people not looking for work haven't been counted. So what were you referring to?

If you are on any welfare or aid package and not disabled, you should be counted if you don't get a W2 from an employer.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
It's clustered in areas with extreme poverty.

My kids public school is in the upper 90%'s.
10 miles away in a metro area it's been 60% give or take....which is gangs, poverty and despair driven.
That public school system keeps getting political get out of trouble cards for not meeting goals but what are they supposed to do? They're dealing with kids that in so many cases don't even have steady square meals or steady family units and they often come from families without a tradition of education....show up to kindergarten never having been read a book. Sigh.

How do you fix that?

Make attending a public school a privilege instead of a right. Your kids should have to meet some minimum standards to attend. If you don't qualify, you must attend some private training to get up to the minimum. Kids that break the rules are kicked out and the parents must PAY to be able to be re-admitted. Parents will pay attention if it will cost them out of pocket.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,052 times
Supermarkets still have to put a picture of the fruit, veggie or meat product next to the descriptive word for the product when they send out those paper ad inserts with the newspapers or that are in a bin at the entrance to the store.......for the benefit of the "rubber stamped" HS grads that still can't read.....

Last edited by Chaffeetrekker; 10-19-2016 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-19-2016, 12:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I take responsibility for a language failure on my part. My apologies.

The formula hasn't changed but the participation rate which goes into it has.

My point being that not addressing that is a sleight of hand just like they are pulling with graduation rates.

One could argue that not openly addressing the participation rate or citing an on-level rate with participation would be a formula change since in those instances the presenter would be making an uneven comparison as if the participation rate were a constant.
The participation rate is widely talked about in connection to our current employment rate. Again the formula hadn't changed but if someone doesn't know how it's figured it's because they don't pay much attention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events