Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:48 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Me too H.F.B. I've never heard of anyone telling a child they're going to die in the 25 years I've been in health care. No one would want to cause that kind of anxiety to a child. You would reassure them that they're going to be okay. It reads like a Hollywood script and the kid dies right on cue. Nope, it just doesn't work that way, at least not in my years in health care. Nor with the way I've watched children die.
Yeah...it doesn't ring true to life. And no one else is telling the story, not even the parents.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Yeah...it doesn't ring true to life. And no one else is telling the story, not even the parents.
This just happened. Maybe they do not want their privacy invaded by the media in the midst of what must be overwhelming grief. The story has been picked up by major media outlets. I don't have any doubt that something special happened between the child and this generous, kind-hearted man, and I'm sorry to see that others are too jaded to believe also.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:26 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
thats so sad.RIP

Old 12-13-2016, 06:14 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I don't think I have gotten so choked up by a story in awhile.

Terminally ill child dies in Santa's arms | Fox News

This man is amazing. Sorry for posting such a sad story on a Monday morning but the man who did this deserves major props.

I read that this morning. It was heartbreaking to read so I can only imagine how it was for that Santa to be there. I have to give that man credit for showing such compassion and strength during such a difficult time.

One thing I don't understand is that what the child said right before he died.

The article claims he said 'Santa, can you help me?"

That's the part that leaves me feeling unsettled. What did he mean?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:29 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
So terrible-I don't think I'd be able to hold it together for the poor kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post

One thing I don't understand is that what the child said right before he died.

The article claims he said 'Santa, can you help me?"

That's the part that leaves me feeling unsettled. What did he mean?
Yeah-seems to be some missing dialogue there or something.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
Quote:
I've never heard of anyone telling a child they're going to die in the 25 years I've been in health care. No one would want to cause that kind of anxiety to a child. You would reassure them that they're going to be okay. It reads like a Hollywood script and the kid dies right on cue.
I was thinking something like that too, from my experience working as an orderly in the ICU unit when I was working my way through college, we don't state to a child that they're going to die. Also, something else I was thinking as I was reading the story, when someone is approaching the point of death, the oxygen level gets very low and the blood pressure also decreases so that with both of those vital signs going down, the brain slows/shuts down to the point where carrying a lucid conversation is unlikely.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:04 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
The story is very sad. I have been crying on and off since Monday. I have a 4-year-old, December 13th marked the 3rd year of my Father's death. Combine all three things and I have been a wreck. This hit very close to home. The child's last words of "Santa. can you help me?" were hauntingly beautiful. I have no doubt the child was hoping Santa could use his "magic" to make him better. From my point of view Santa did make it better. Santa made a dying boy's wish come true and helped him in his final moments on this earth. As painful as this story is I will ignore the naysayers that it did not happen because I don't believe humanity could be so cruel.

I am heart broken but, I would also like to add this observation. We don't know the background of the boy, his race his religion if he came from good or bad parents. And, it doesn't matter. We just know that he was a little boy who was about to die that loved Paw Patrol and he believed in Santa. Both he and Santa left a huge impression on the lives of many people that day from the family to the nursing staff to Santa himself. This story shows the goodness and compassion that still exists. This story will stay with me for a long time maybe forever.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:04 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I was thinking something like that too, from my experience working as an orderly in the ICU unit when I was working my way through college, we don't state to a child that they're going to die. Also, something else I was thinking as I was reading the story, when someone is approaching the point of death, the oxygen level gets very low and the blood pressure also decreases so that with both of those vital signs going down, the brain slows/shuts down to the point where carrying a lucid conversation is unlikely.
My son is an RN and back when he was a CNA he called me to tell me he was talking to a fave elderly patient about something while his family was there and he thought the elderly man was thinking about an answer to my sons question but in reality he died, just lik he floated away with his conversation .

I had a friend in the 80's who passed from AIDS who was sick but sitting up in bed talking to me and I was just there to visit and suddenly he sort of sighed like oh well what a beautiful sunset out the window or I am so tired of being in this hospital and I looked back at him ( we were talking and watching TV like normal ) and he was dead !

A terminally ill dad of a friend of mine who had been a heart surgeon his whole life , got up and answered the phone told the person he would give his wife the message, wrote it down and walked back down the hall to his bed , laid down, covered himself up and died ( they even put THAT in the obituary ) . It can sure happen but not always .

However I found it unspeakable if true to tell a 5 year old they were dying .. I would say nothing like that , I would never give up. For my own sanity if nothing else . Some kids know/ maybe he overheard ? I do not really believe in God so to speak but in a spirit world for sure and maybe he was close enough he could see through the veil . IDK but I do not think anyone was making anything up ..

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 12-14-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 10:20 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I don't think I have gotten so choked up by a story in awhile.

Terminally ill child dies in Santa's arms | Fox News

This man is amazing. Sorry for posting such a sad story on a Monday morning but the man who did this deserves major props.
This is nuts. My wife and I were traveling thru TN a few weeks ago, and we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for lunch. When we came out, the pick up truck parked next to us had a man with a really full white as snow beard get out to go in. I looked at him and commented on his beard, at which time he told me that he grew it so he could play Santa in a local hospital. That Cracker Barrel is just a few miles from Jacksboro, Tennessee... I don't, 100% know that it was the same man, but chances are good... I thanked him for doing that for the kids - who knew I'd be reading about him online a few weeks later?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:23 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
This story broke my heart. Kids dying is the absolute worst. Bless that sweet little angel and his family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events