Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:00 AM

17,332 posts, read 12,283,884 times

Advertisements

All indications are that the story is fake.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,558,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
All indications are that the story is fake.
Can you share your indications outside of your hunches?

Old 12-14-2016, 11:42 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,830,607 times
And in the background, a pastor was yelling "Hey kid! Don't die yet! At least, not until you listen to me tell you that Santa isn't real! Got that? Santa doesn't exist. Okay, go ahead and die now!".

Old 12-14-2016, 12:42 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,118,951 times
Goodness. It just got really dusty in here.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:40 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,567,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Goodness. It just got really dusty in here.
Some people hate a good story. Quite a few people on here were moved by it, me included.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:44 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,243,047 times
Quote:
Since publication, the News Sentinel has done additional investigation in an attempt to independently verify Schmitt-Matzen’s account. This has proven unsuccessful. Although facts about his background have checked out, his story of bringing a gift to a dying child remains unverified. The News Sentinel cannot establish that Schmitt-Matzen’s account is inaccurate, but more importantly, ongoing reporting cannot establish that it is accurate.
Story of Santa Claus with dying child can't be verified

The part that rings false to me is the idea that they kicked the mom of a dying 5 year old out of the room. I mean, if Santa was there to visit your sick kid, you'd stay in the room with him, wouldn't you?

Old 12-14-2016, 03:36 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,321,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

The part that rings false to me is the idea that they kicked the mom of a dying 5 year old out of the room. I mean, if Santa was there to visit your sick kid, you'd stay in the room with him, wouldn't you?
From what I read Santa asked them to wait outside because the parents were obviously upset and crying and the guy who played Santa was afraid he'd break down crying. The parents could still see the child through the large ICU window though.

I watched and listened to that guys interview and it rings true to me. I didn't get any indication that he was lying or making it up.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,740,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
And in the background, a pastor was yelling "Hey kid! Don't die yet! At least, not until you listen to me tell you that Santa isn't real! Got that? Santa doesn't exist. Okay, go ahead and die now!".
I know it shouldn't but that post made me LOL.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I was thinking something like that too, from my experience working as an orderly in the ICU unit when I was working my way through college, we don't state to a child that they're going to die. Also, something else I was thinking as I was reading the story, when someone is approaching the point of death, the oxygen level gets very low and the blood pressure also decreases so that with both of those vital signs going down, the brain slows/shuts down to the point where carrying a lucid conversation is unlikely.
19 years in healthcare, 15 as an ER doc...seen many, many people die...some talking till they code...but nothing as calm or coherent or unpanicked as that supposed conversation.
Maybe the timeline has has been tinkered with to make a better story.

Still tears.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,740,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
From what I read Santa asked them to wait outside because the parents were obviously upset and crying and the guy who played Santa was afraid he'd break down crying. The parents could still see the child through the large ICU window though.

I watched and listened to that guys interview and it rings true to me. I didn't get any indication that he was lying or making it up.
I just can not and will not accept that this story is a fabrication. I'm not going to volunteer to comb through the records but, there has to be a record of a 5-year-old dying in the Tennessee area around that time. I mean 5-year old's aren't;t just dropping dead on a regular basis. I think that would be a good place to start if people are so hell bent on 1. verifying the story 2. tearing Santa down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events