Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:49 PM

8,948 posts, read 7,010,380 times

Advertisements

Awesome that these will be protected!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:53 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,597,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Did you read the part of my post where I made it clear that the land being designated national monuments was already owned by the government?
Article I Section 8 Clause 17 says:

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;

Does a National Monument fit under any of that? What about the other millions and millions of acres that the federal government owns?

Old 12-28-2016, 11:58 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,597,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
No, it's dirty politics.

The Bundy family's cattle (the ones the feds haven't already killed) are grazing at Gold Butte.

The Public Lands Initiative for Bear's Ears, produced by two Republican congressmen (Chaffetz and Bishop), has been criticized by environmentalists as being too favorable to drilling interests.

But these are just coincidences.
Yes, you are right that they killed the Bundy Cattle, etc. Also, Facistbook tried to block the video of the standoff by labeling the Youtube video as "an attack site". Also, the whole thing WASN'T to protect some turtle, but it turned out to be a land grab scheme to help some Chinese businessmen that Harry Reid was in league with. That is why loads of people in Nevada are glad to see Reid leave this year.

BTW, if you're upset about the outsourcing wiping out manufacturing in the US, part of the reason is because of all the annoying regulations from this unconstitutional branch of the federal government called the Environmental Protection Agency.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:22 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,381,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Sorry to hear that. National monuments are magnets for vacationers who do not respect the land.
Better it should be defiled by multinational corporations owned by the 1% or ranchers who want to graze their cattle on it without paying a fee to compensate for all the damage the animals do?

These two land masses are important to several native tribes, so I'm thrilled for them.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:20 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,810,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Better it should be defiled by multinational corporations owned by the 1% or ranchers who want to graze their cattle on it without paying a fee to compensate for all the damage the animals do?

These two land masses are important to several native tribes, so I'm thrilled for them.
Not all of the members of the tribes agreed that Fed control is good for the land.

The ranches leasing ground are not "multi-national corporations, and in addition to the lease money, the ranchers have to do improvements and repairs (caused by all wildlife, not just domestic animals) on their own dime. Now the land will have no care. Often water sites are degraded by tourists and wildlife and even disappear. The wildlife will suffer. Sad.

So many people don't realize there is public access to public land in the west. Even when it is leased for grazing. So, no ones ability to access or appreciate these lands was limited before this. But now, land use will be limited in many ways.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:22 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,152,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
President Obama has designated two new national monuments in Utah and Nevada under his powers under the Antiquities Act. The national monument in Nevada will be known as "Golden Butte". It is approximately 300,000 acres. The monument in Utah will be known as "Bear's Ears". Its bigger and makes up approximately 1,300,000 acres. It should be emphasized that all this land is already public land that is owned by the United States. No land is being taken from any private individual.

Its a magnificent gift to our children and grandchildren.
Both will be reversed soon. Don't plan any vacations there!

Old 12-29-2016, 07:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,650,581 times
He should have just named them "ObamaLand" and "ObamaWorld".

Old 12-29-2016, 08:08 AM

14,498 posts, read 14,470,614 times
Quote:
No, it's dirty politics.

The Bundy family's cattle (the ones the feds haven't already killed) are grazing at Gold Butte.

The Public Lands Initiative for Bear's Ears, produced by two Republican congressmen (Chaffetz and Bishop), has been criticized by environmentalists as being too favorable to drilling interests.

National Monument status confers the most protection on this section of federal land. The area is full of Indian ruins. This will action will give the government greater ability to protect those lands from those who would steal ancient Indian artifacts or worse, vandalize them. It will also give more of the public an opportunity to view these national treasures. Chaffetz and Bishop would have done nothing at all if they hadn't thought the President was likely to designate these lands a national monument. No, I don't want oil or gas drilling there. The land is too fragile, the impact on the environment too great, and the price of oil is too cheap to take these risks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Sorry to hear that. National monuments are magnets for vacationers who do not respect the land.
This is indeed a strange comment to make. National monuments enjoy a degree of protection that other public lands do not. Most vandalism on public lands does not occur in national monuments. It occurs at out of the way sites that are not routinely policed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Article I Section 8 Clause 17 says:

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;

Does a National Monument fit under any of that? What about the other millions and millions of acres that the federal government owns?
I wouldn't try to argue the Constitution with me. I've had five constitutional law classes in college and as a graduate student. I suspect I know this subject a little better than you do.

Please go to Article IV; Section 3; Clause 2 of the Constitution. It specifically gives Congress the power to "dispose of and make needful Rules and Regulations respecting territory or other property of the United States...". The Antiquities Act was passed by Congress in about 1903. It empowers the President to designate sections of federally-owned land as national monuments. Its been used many times by presidents and the Supreme Court has always sustained this power under the Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Yes, you are right that they killed the Bundy Cattle, etc. Also, Facistbook tried to block the video of the standoff by labeling the Youtube video as "an attack site". Also, the whole thing WASN'T to protect some turtle, but it turned out to be a land grab scheme to help some Chinese businessmen that Harry Reid was in league with. That is why loads of people in Nevada are glad to see Reid leave this year.

BTW, if you're upset about the outsourcing wiping out manufacturing in the US, part of the reason is because of all the annoying regulations from this unconstitutional branch of the federal government called the Environmental Protection Agency.
The truth is that Nevada Senator Harry Reid wanted this land designated as a national monument long before the problem with the Bundy family occurred. It has nothing to do with protecting Chinese businessmen. I suggest you put down the Drudge Report, or whatever alternative journalism source you are using and accept the fact that some of us believe that the most scenic desert lands are beautiful and worth protecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Not all of the members of the tribes agreed that Fed control is good for the land.

The ranches leasing ground are not "multi-national corporations, and in addition to the lease money, the ranchers have to do improvements and repairs (caused by all wildlife, not just domestic animals) on their own dime. Now the land will have no care. Often water sites are degraded by tourists and wildlife and even disappear. The wildlife will suffer. Sad.

So many people don't realize there is public access to public land in the west. Even when it is leased for grazing. So, no ones ability to access or appreciate these lands was limited before this. But now, land use will be limited in many ways.
The public lands belong to the public. Not just to cattle ranchers. When Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument was designated, the grazing rights of ranchers within the monument were protected and management of the Monument was given to the BLM (which is rancher friendly) instead of the NPS. Some ranchers need to realize they don't own these lands. They simply lease them. The government has a right to revoke leases or modify them pursuant to legal standards. The lands are there for everyone including tourists and sightseers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Both will be reversed soon. Don't plan any vacations there!
We shall see what we shall see. There was talk of reversing the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument too. All that talk came to nothing. Its a wonderful place to go for vacation.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,228,556 times
I disapprove, it's getting harder and harder for me and my boys to go find them funny lookin' balancing rocks that we can go push over without dem libruls getting all upset about it, you lost get ovur it and quit trying to protect stuff commies

Old 12-29-2016, 08:27 AM
mlb

4,964 posts, read 4,473,419 times
Quote:
No, it's dirty politics.

Mr. Bundy's cattle are there illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events