Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:43 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times

Advertisements

While I feel for the fathers loss, I have little sympathy for the daughter, and his blaming TESLA Motors is just ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 03:57 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
Sounds like Paul Walker's daughter, Meadow:

Paul Walker's daughter Meadow 'awarded $10.1m with Roger Rodas partly to blame' | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Paul Walker's daughter Meadow, 17, 'awarded $10.1 million settlement as driver Roger Rodas found partly to blame for fatal car accident'

Daughter of late Fast & Furious star granted previously undisclosed court settlement in 2014
Driver Rodas was deemed 'partly to blame' for the fatal accident
Court recently cleared car manufacturer Porsche of fault in the deaths
Rodas' widow was suing claiming defects caused the crash and will now appeal the verdict
Meadow Walker has a similar lawsuit pending which her lawyers will continue to press

Old 02-14-2017, 07:05 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
I don't think they should be able to prevail in a lawsuit against Tesla.

But it does demonstrate from this account of what was happening at the crash site, that some new regulations might be necessary on Tesla in how they design the battery pack. i.e. Battery cells kept exploding long after impact hurling projectiles at people, and lithium fires are horribly difficult to put out.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/crim...olis/97597708/

Imagine 1000s of these scattered around a crash site in various states of damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp3hv5ms9I8

Old 02-14-2017, 08:05 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so what rationale does the father think the Tesla killed his daughter? I don't understand high performance cars. thanks!
The father said:
Quote:
"This is a vehicle that travels from 0 to 60 in 3.1 seconds. She's clearly having to swerve to miss a vehicle going the wrong way on a one-way street," Speckman said.

"If her foot should happen to hit the accelerator, it's like a rocket ship. I don't know why they have to make a car that does that."
Basically, his argument is that the car is too fast and that all cars should be legally required to go slow and not have that sort of acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Those lithium batteries explode just like gasoline. Who knows if a gasoline-powered car would have exploded?
Hmm, a large tank of highly flammable liquid? I wonder. The question is moot because the daughter died of blunt force trauma from the crash, she was already gone during the subsequent fire. Must have been a hell of a crash.

I feel for the father losing his daughter, but I question the wisdom of supporting a ban on fast cars because people with close to three times the legal blood alcohol level drive them too fast and crash them.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Don't drink and drive period. It would have happened if she was driving a Corolla. I smell a money hungry idiot who just cannot accept the fact that his daughter is an idiot and ruined other peoples lives...

Old 02-14-2017, 08:43 AM

477 posts, read 276,712 times
I wonder if it will come out about a possible affair between the now-dead boss and his now-dead subordinate?

Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Don't drink and drive period. It would have happened if she was driving a Corolla. I smell a money hungry idiot who just cannot accept the fact that his daughter is an idiot and ruined other peoples lives...
Well, the father's argument (which I think is bull**** BTW) is that a Corolla, not being capable of doing 0 to 60 in 3.1 seconds, wouldn't have been capable of crashing at such a high velocity as the Tesla was. And that further, as a result, were it a Corolla and not a Tesla she was driving, she'd be alive still. And he's probably correct. I find that a terrible argument for banning performance cars, however.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:04 AM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
imho even with the stop and go action of the very bad quality video you can tell the tesla was going 2 or 3 times faster than the wrong direction car .. speed killed them .. not how fast the car was capable of ...and yes even a corolla will do 100 .. mine will ...

Old 02-14-2017, 09:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
T
I hope that some greasy lawyer doesn't get involved and takes Tesla to court. Tesla makes a really neat product that is making strides in electric vehicles and a court case could slow them down.
Tesla has insurance for this purpose. However I do not think it can slow them down. There is no way they could get any slower.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:22 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
The only one to blame is his drunken daughter. She was almost THREE times the legal limit! She's lucky she didn't kill someone else....oh wait she did....There was a passenger that SHE KILLED. She is RESPONSIBLE! Not Tesla. The car was not on auto pilot. She was driving and she was about as drunk as you can be.

While it's sad that a father lost a daughter, perhaps he should have taught her about the perils of drunk driving. Clearly, she had no regard for anything else on earth by drinking so much and then driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events