Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 05:02 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Regardless of the disdain and others you have for this poster, it is still a good idea to retreat and escape if possible even if you have a gun when an unknown threat enters your home. The only reason to stay would be if you have loved ones to protect or can't reasonably escape without making too much noise.
Wait, don't you have to warn them you're escaping? Just to make it fair and all.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,667,923 times
Quote:
Regardless of the disdain and others you have for this poster, it is still a good idea to retreat and escape if possible even if you have a gun when an unknown threat enters your home.
Um, no it's not. I worry about eliminating the threat first. I'm not saying I look forward to shooting/killing someone if that ever happens, but I sure as hell wouldn't lose sleep over it. Don't break into my house if you don't want to get shot.

Quote:
The only reason to stay would be if you have loved ones to protect or can't reasonably escape without making too much noise.
Wellllll, I'd say this is the case 95% of the time. I'm not running out of my house if some scumbag breaks in. They deserve what they get.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:19 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Regardless of the disdain and others you have for this poster, it is still a good idea to retreat and escape if possible even if you have a gun when an unknown threat enters your home. The only reason to stay would be if you have loved ones to protect or can't reasonably escape without making too much noise.
And that is exactly what the home defense classes I took emphasized.

The classes I took also went through Arizona state law and how it pertains to deadly force. As ever, the law isn't quite as clear cut as the average layman imagines. Every state is different so it is worth taking the classes if only to understand the legal position.

At least for Arizona, we were told that in all circumstances to state that "I was in fear of my life". That gives important legal cover.

Once you have used your weapon, the law takes over and it can be very hard to predict which direction that will take. That is why every gun owner needs to take the time to understand their legal position.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:04 PM

10,346 posts, read 8,561,064 times
I just can't believe how often some people give the benefit of doubt or more rights to the criminal. Ruth4truth said she called the police and that worked fine so that's what everyone should do. She didn't say what the circumstances were in that case nor the response time. I'd be willing to bet she didn't have three intruders break in or that her case was anywhere near what happened in Ok.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:53 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
No charges to be filed against young man who shot intruders

No charges against Oklahoma man who killed 3 intruders | WGN-TV

Old 04-04-2017, 12:14 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I haven't been talking about castle doctrine states; I made that clear, earlier. The advice I give is the advice police give. Even in some castle-doctrine states, police say the law tends to encourage homeowners to be reckless, and to shoot unnecessarily.
No police do not give the advice you do. I should know, I'm in that profession. Your advice is terrible. And I'm specifically speaking about the advice you gave regarding how to confront an intruder if you have a weapon and your strategy regarding how to escape. I have no comment on the rest of your opinion or advice on this thread.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that your advice regarding the above is as bad as someone who has never even taken a CPR course giving their opinion on heart surgery. Please leave the expert advice to the people who have professional experience regrading this matter. Normally I would not object so strongly about someone's wrong advice but this is a serious topic.

Quote:
Your advice regarding escape isn't bad but 90% of the time its not possible to escape your home for various reasons. Now the retreat option is the optimal method in many scenarios especially if your home alone and have no one in the house to protect. Even though I have years of experience with firearms and have some very effective weapons in my arsenal; that is what I would do if I was home alone.

Basically all you do is lock yourself in the most strategically advantageous location in your home and call the police. While the police are on their way if you hear your door handle to the room your in being played with or noise of someone trying to break down that door just point and shoot through the door.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:17 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I just can't believe how often some people give the benefit of doubt or more rights to the criminal. Ruth4truth said she called the police and that worked fine so that's what everyone should do. She didn't say what the circumstances were in that case nor the response time. I'd be willing to bet she didn't have three intruders break in or that her case was anywhere near what happened in Ok.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:30 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Your advice regarding escape isn't bad but 90% of the time its not possible to escape your home for various reasons. Now the retreat option is the optimal method in many scenarios especially if your home alone and have no one in the house to protect. Even though I have years of experience with firearms and have some very effective weapons in my arsenal; that is what I would do if I was home alone.

Basically all you do is lock yourself in the most strategically advantageous location in your home and call the police. While the police are on their way if you hear your door handle to the room your in being played with or noise of someone trying to break down that door just point and shoot through the door.
This is exactly what the classes I took suggested as the appropriate course of action.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 AM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
No charges to be filed against young man who shot intruders

No charges against Oklahoma man who killed 3 intruders | WGN-TV
OKLAHOMA CITY — An Oklahoma prosecutor says no charges will be filed against a 23-year-old man who fatally shot three intruders in his home, but that the woman who drove them there is being charged with first-degree murder.

Wagoner County Assistant District Attorney Jack Thorp said Monday that Zach Peters “acted justifiably” March 27 when he shot Maxwell Cook, Jacob Redfern and Jakob Woodruff at his home just outside the Tulsa suburb of Broken Arrow.

Thorp also said 21-year-old Elizabeth Rodriquez was charged with three counts of first-degree murder. Rodriquez has said she drove the three men to Peters’ home to burglarize it, but doesn’t feel responsible in their deaths.

State law allows murder charges against a person who takes part in a crime in which another person is killed.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Glad to hear he isn't being charged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events