Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:54 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
My money is on it being the Energy drink mostly.
The medical examiner said it wasn't any one drink that did it; it was slamming down all three of them right after the other. He had nearly 500 mg of caffeine in his system and 300 mg would be enough to cause cardiac arrhythmia in the average person. And he was only 16 -- probably not yet his full adult size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 03:44 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady
My money is on it being the Energy drink mostly.
Ya probably,those things taste disgusting!!!

Old 05-17-2017, 04:50 PM

736 posts, read 456,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Something doesn't add up here.

I think there is another factor at play here. An undiagnosed heart problem, for example.
that was my first thought

Old 05-17-2017, 05:00 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Two things to consider:
1. 145lb for a 16 year old is pretty heavy imo, especially if they are still growing and under 6 feet. I don't know if that's the average weight in the US, but it would make him overweight at that age for a kid. I think I was around 110-120lb at that age, but I was never fat, so I wouldn't know.

2. Maybe statistically it is 50% chance of dying at the dosage you indicated, but maybe he was part of that 0.01% statistic for much smaller doses, aggravated by the fact that he was a teenager and not an adult. (I am assuming the study you are sighting was conducted on adults). Out of hundreds of thousands people who drink a lot of caffeine daily, he just happened to "win" that low chance caffeine overdose probability lottery.

How on earth would you know this? I was that heavy at 12 and was under weight

Old 05-17-2017, 05:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Two things to consider:
1. 145lb for a 16 year old is pretty heavy imo,
Well I was assuming he was over 5' 2".

Old 05-17-2017, 08:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I'm assuming there was an undiagnosed heart issue also.

While that is a lot of caffeine, it doesn't sound like enough to kill someone.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Undiagnosed cardiac anomaly.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
These energy drinks are bad news. They make the with alcohol too. One is like 14% alcohol. People (and not just young people) use both the booze and non booze drinks in conjunction with Rx meds and over the counter like dyphenhydramine and Cough elixirs to cop a high. I'm thinking this youngster did probably have an underlying illness as well as dumping enough caffeine , taurine, ginseng and all the other stuff they put in those drinks to give a heroine addict insomnia. I've seen kids in the mornings just loading their backpacks with these things. It also possible this kid was downing these drinks everyday all day.

I tried one of the ones with alcohol...once. It was "only" a 12% , but they make them all the way to like 16%. It made me sick. An hour later I had a headache from hell, felt like I'd been beat with a single jack, and was pretty nauseated too. Both the alcohol and non are trendy especially with young people. All the rage on the party scene getting mixed with all sorts of lovely stuff.

My son told me it was trendy when he was in school for kids to slam a couple of these drinks with a bottle of Nyquil or handful of benadryl to catch a high before class. These drinks get abused, badly, alongside other stuff that's not exactly a Slurpee. If they get their hands on some Rx pain meds or benzodyazapines that's a seriously bad mix. Kinda hard to regulate the drinks, other than the alcohol ones, to the underage crowd.

They get their hands on the booze to. Long and short of it is its just dangerous to abuse stuff like this. The kids think their immortal, and believe this is a "safe" way to get high. It's not just kids either. The powers that be have known how harmful these drinks can be for a long time. This kid isn't the first victim. Pretty tragic stuff.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:21 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
There is no positive benefits to caffeine. Although, experts say a cup of coffee is healthy for the antioxidants, but remember coffee, tea, etc. comes in decaf and provide the same benefit.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Something doesn't add up here.

The article I read said he had a McDonalds Latte (142mg caffeine), a "large" Mt. Dew (lets say 24 oz, thus 108 mg caffeine), and an unspecified energy drink; for the sake of estimation, lets say it was one of the very popular Monster energy drinks (160 mg caffeine)

That would make for a total consumption of 410 mg of caffeine in one sitting.

The LD50 (a statistical dose which will kill 50% of ingesters) of caffiene is 150 mg per kg of body weight.

Assuming this young man was of average size, say 65 kg (about 145 lbs), he would have to have ingested 9,750 mg of caffeine in one sitting, or about 24 times as much as he took in. That would be about 8 lattes, 8 large Mt. Dews, and 8 monster energy drinks. And then, statistically, he would have only a 50% chance of actually dying.

I think there is another factor at play here. An undiagnosed heart problem, for example.
Good points! People consume this much caffeine all the time with no more side effects than a headache.

Quote:
Two things to consider:
1. 145lb for a 16 year old is pretty heavy imo, especially if they are still growing and under 6 feet. I don't know if that's the average weight in the US, but it would make him overweight at that age for a kid. I think I was around 110-120lb at that age, but I was never fat, so I wouldn't know.

2. Maybe statistically it is 50% chance of dying at the dosage you indicated, but maybe he was part of that 0.01% statistic for much smaller doses, aggravated by the fact that he was a teenager and not an adult. (I am assuming the study you are sighting was conducted on adults). Out of hundreds of thousands people who drink a lot of caffeine daily, he just happened to "win" that low chance caffeine overdose probability lottery.
1. There are lots of 16 year old girls who weight more than 145 lbs.

2. There is no chance of dying at the dosage indicated unless there is undiagnosed heart condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The medical examiner said it wasn't any one drink that did it; it was slamming down all three of them right after the other. He had nearly 500 mg of caffeine in his system and 300 mg would be enough to cause cardiac arrhythmia in the average person. And he was only 16 -- probably not yet his full adult size.
Wrong. Where are you getting your information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
These energy drinks are bad news. They make the with alcohol too. One is like 14% alcohol. People (and not just young people) use both the booze and non booze drinks in conjunction with Rx meds and over the counter like dyphenhydramine and Cough elixirs to cop a high. I'm thinking this youngster did probably have an underlying illness as well as dumping enough caffeine , taurine, ginseng and all the other stuff they put in those drinks to give a heroine addict insomnia. I've seen kids in the mornings just loading their backpacks with these things. It also possible this kid was downing these drinks everyday all day.

I tried one of the ones with alcohol...once. It was "only" a 12% , but they make them all the way to like 16%. It made me sick. An hour later I had a headache from hell, felt like I'd been beat with a single jack, and was pretty nauseated too. Both the alcohol and non are trendy especially with young people. All the rage on the party scene getting mixed with all sorts of lovely stuff.

My son told me it was trendy when he was in school for kids to slam a couple of these drinks with a bottle of Nyquil or handful of benadryl to catch a high before class. These drinks get abused, badly, alongside other stuff that's not exactly a Slurpee. If they get their hands on some Rx pain meds or benzodyazapines that's a seriously bad mix. Kinda hard to regulate the drinks, other than the alcohol ones, to the underage crowd.

They get their hands on the booze to. Long and short of it is its just dangerous to abuse stuff like this. The kids think their immortal, and believe this is a "safe" way to get high. It's not just kids either. The powers that be have known how harmful these drinks can be for a long time. This kid isn't the first victim. Pretty tragic stuff.
Energy drinks do not have alcohol. They could not be sold in stores without a liquor license if they had 14% alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events