Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:38 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Totally agree 150%. When I was not even legal drinking age I developed a bad coffee habit because of my line of work and shift (graveyard). I used to drink two gallons of coffee per night. I know this because we had a one gallon coffee percolator that I would fill, brew and drink every night twice. After work when I was off, I'd then go and drink a two liter bottle of diet coke between getting home and going to bed, every night. Never a problem. In fact, the only pain and suffering I had ever incurred was when I stopped drinking coffee and diet coke cold turkey. Had a migraine for an entire week.
Two gallons of coffee every night??? Wow! I'm amazed you are alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 02:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's the caffeine in the energy drinks, among the other things.
Two 16 oz Monster Energy drinks have the same amount of caffeine as a Venti coffee from Starbucks. How much coffee does the avg American drink and how many times have you heard of someone dying? The toxic dose of caffeine is about 1 gram which would be about 30 cans of Monster for example. Certainly some people are more sensitive then others but it's not caffeine killing people. I have about 32oz of coffee by noon every day and a couple of cups in the afternoon and have been for about 25 years and I'm doing ok

Old 05-24-2017, 03:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Two 16 oz Monster Energy drinks have the same amount of caffeine as a Venti coffee from Starbucks. How much coffee does the avg American drink and how many times have you heard of someone dying? The toxic dose of caffeine is about 1 gram which would be about 30 cans of Monster for example. Certainly some people are more sensitive then others but it's not caffeine killing people. I have about 32oz of coffee by noon every day and a couple of cups in the afternoon and have been for about 25 years and I'm doing ok
A Monster Energy drink has 160 mg of caffeine. The toxic dose of caffeine is estimated to be 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass. For a 150 lbs person that would be 10.2 to 13.6 grams of caffeine. That would be 63 to 85 cans of Monster Energy drinks. Probably impossible to do in one sitting.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:51 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
A Monster Energy drink has 160 mg of caffeine. The toxic dose of caffeine is estimated to be 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass. For a 150 lbs person that would be 10.2 to 13.6 grams of caffeine. That would be 63 to 85 cans of Monster Energy drinks. Probably impossible to do in one sitting.
Thank you. So my point is there have been many stories of people dying from energy drinks not caffeine. I have yet to see a story of someone dying from a coffee overdose. Energy drinks all have "proprietary blends" of different herbal supplements and vitamins. Personally I don't trust proprietary blends when they won't tell you what you are putting into your body. Reminds me of the big phen phen crazy years back where everyone was using that because you could buy it at GNC so it must be safe...until multiple young healthy people including professional athletes started dying and it was pulled off the shelves. There is something in these drinks that is giving certain people bad reactions but I'm pretty certain it's not the caffeine content

Old 05-24-2017, 06:43 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Agreed. I don't think it's just the caffeine that kills these people (primarily teens), but everything else that's in the energy drinks.

I've been drinking caffeine in one form or another for 30 years, since I was a teen in the '80's. I started off with regular soda, then "graduated" to "Jolt cola" (apparently twice the caffeine of regular soda), then later started drinking coffee. I have drunk up to 6 cups a day, though usually it's only 2-3.

For those of us '80's kids on here, I'm sure some of us remember the "Revive with Vivarin" ads. I never tried this, since I didn't really trust it to be as "safe" as coffee, as was advertised. However, I remember it being very popular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ThcuP_FmM

Old 05-25-2017, 01:37 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I told my doctor the exact same thing when he told me it was going to kill me, if I didn't stop drinking it. I have been doing it for 40 years and I'm OK. Except that I wasn't OK.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:08 PM

939 posts, read 788,361 times
A lot of factors could have lead up to this; stress, smoking, drugs of any kind, full stomach, and just the fact that his body couldn't take the amount of caffeine that was disclosed in the article on this particular day.

Click the Explore Caffeine Database button:

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3MqmV47Lq8

Old 05-26-2017, 10:00 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
4 Locos have not had caffeine in them since 2010. In late December 2010, a reformulated version of the drink was put on shelves. The new product had exactly the same design as the original, but the caffeine, guarana, and taurine (ingredients in the original drink) had been taken out of the formula.

You don't find 4 Locos stocked on the shelf with energy drinks in Pennsylvania. You have had to purchase them in a beer distributor since they are malt liquor. PA has recently loosened their liquor law restrictions and a few other place are now allowed to sell beer and wine. Just don't expect to go into any grocery store or gas station and find any type of alcohol beverages being sold.

You'll find the Four Locos in any gas station or convenience store around here. I didn't know they had reformulated them but that's actually a good thing. With such a high alcohol content all that other crap just couldn't be a positive. 12-14% alcohol? Wow! And like I said they are NOT stocked and never have been with energy drinks. They've always been in the beer section.

Still, I see kids in the morning stuffing their backpacks with Monsters, Red Bull and such before school all the time. When I got clued in how they are mixing them with both Rx and OTC medications and alcohol as well in certainly concerned me. My son is grown and on his own now. Just turned 21. He learned his lesson about those energy drinks. Just by themselves they were messing him up. They effect different people different ways. He was getting bad migraines. The doctor said it was a combination of these energy drinks and high nitrate convenience store chow. Hot dogs being a biggy. He still has to watch what he eats that way. And he doesn't touch energy drinks.

I tried one once, and as I said it just crashed me an hour after I drank it. Didn't taste all that great and I didn't even finish it. Wasn't what I expected. Red Bull and vodka is a popular mix in the bars herebouts. I've heard people ordering the mix all the time. I don't drink alcohol anymore, not even beer, as my system just won't tolerate it. Don't miss it, and coffee is plenty for a morning pick me up. Don't drink it like I used to either. Used to drink it all day. Not anymore.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:11 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Still, I see kids in the morning stuffing their backpacks with Monsters, Red Bull and such before school all the time. When I got clued in how they are mixing them with both Rx and OTC medications and alcohol as well in certainly concerned me. My son is grown and on his own now. Just turned 21. He learned his lesson about those energy drinks. Just by themselves they were messing him up. They effect different people different ways. He was getting bad migraines. The doctor said it was a combination of these energy drinks and high nitrate convenience store chow. Hot dogs being a biggy. He still has to watch what he eats that way. And he doesn't touch energy drinks.
Exactly! And, while you have to be 21 to buy/drink alcohol legally, there is no limit on how old you need to be to purchase energy drinks. AFAIK, anyone of any age can just go to a store and buy them - and I"m sure in many cases a kids' parents don't even know how many energy drinks their kids drink.

Kids growing up in my generation (the '80's) did not have access to drinks this strong - not even close.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Exactly! And, while you have to be 21 to buy/drink alcohol legally, there is no limit on how old you need to be to purchase energy drinks. AFAIK, anyone of any age can just go to a store and buy them - and I"m sure in many cases a kids' parents don't even know how many energy drinks their kids drink.

Kids growing up in my generation (the '80's) did not have access to drinks this strong - not even close.
Yeah we only had Jolt Cola and Mountain Dew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events