Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 AM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Wow, you're really out there. You should spend some time in a Central American prison if you think US prisons are bad. Perhaps sample a prison in Southeast Asia while you're at it. Maybe even try a nice seasoned South American one...
Have we sunk so low in this country that we want to emulate the worst of the worst rather than emulate the best (and most EFFECTIVE) detention systems, such as Switzerland, which I mentioned?

If being "out there" because I believe in humane treatment of people incarcerated, especially those who may be first time arrestees, disabled, old, in need of frequent medical treatment, for example, then I will attest to being a champion for humane treatment for them (e.g. "released on their own recognizance, like a "ticket"), and not hauled into jail based solely on the judgment of a newbie or angry police officer.

In addition to suggesting that specific populations should be treated with special care and in separate facilities, I think that we need to intervene and provide treatment and education and decent facilities for everyone incarcerated.

It works. Humane treatment makes it far less likely that those incarcerated will re-offend.

We must treat people humanely in order to release good humans back into society. One way or the other, they will be released, in most cases. I want those incarcerated to be rehabilitated (if they actually committed an offense and were guilty, and if they have not yet be even arraigned, and especially first time offenders who just may have annoyed some officer, I don't want them incarcerated at all.

What we are doing now in this country is viciously mean and wasteful and it is not effective.

If you think the current system works to the benefit of our society, prove it. You could link to a video of a humane jail or prison in the U.S. and show statistics of extremely low recidivism (on a par with Switzerland and other North European countries for example). I don't think you'll find anyplace, but if you can, you should.

Meanwhile, visit (via YouTube, for example), the jails and prisons of Switzerland, etc.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 06-22-2017 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 AM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
You misquoted the
(snip)
to do that.

Blah blah blah, actually I copied and pasted, no misquoting here. Are you implying my computer's RAM was malfunctioning and not retaining all the bytes I had copied to it beforehand?

Nope, still works fine. I went back and verified the passage I copied and pasted that quote from and it checks out. Perhaps you need to move closer to your WAP or pick a more reliable 4G carrier without so much packet loss?

Old 06-22-2017, 01:20 AM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Default Family of inmate who died at Dublin jail settles for $8.3M (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Three meals a day, a roof over their head, access to better healthcare than most people on the outside get at zero cost to them is humane by most standards. That's the basic package available to all residents of correctional facilities, but the cost is high. Let them help lessen the tax burden on you and me by letting them contribute resources in exchange for personalized accommodations. It's like flying. There are first class, business class, and economy class to accommodate everyone. Regardless of which class one chooses, everyone gets to where they want to go.
Where do you get the idea that they get great (or even minimal, let alone decent) healthcare?

Nothing could be further from the truth.

http://abc7news.com/news/inmate-death-at-santa-rita-jail-settled-for-$83m/512517/

Corizon Healthcare provides health care for Santa Rita Jail and hundreds of other prisons around country.

Corizon has been fired by the county mentioned, but aren't you lucky, they (or another FOR-PROFIT) healthcare system like the one that took over for Corizon, may be in your community.

The actual award should have been significantly higher than $8 million, but poorer people are usually awarded less money than the richy-riches of the world, and out of desperation are likely to settle for less.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:22 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
How about charging the wealthy criminals and the money would go directly towards upgrading the standards for all inmates in jail instead of just those few special ones?
How about giving the cash to the victims they may have hurt with their crime... The Lockerbie bomber had his giant tv in his room.. not cell.... and had of course many friends to share it..

Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 AM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I think that if there wasn't outrageous treatment of SOME prisoners in SOME states, some of the outrage and mistaken ideas of how great prisoners have it might go away. To be clear, my view is that most prisoners do NOT have it "all that great" while some prisoners are unbelievably catered to --

California murder convict becomes first U.S. inmate to have state-funded sex reassignment surgery - LA Times

My view is that all prisoners should have BASIC healthcare (only) and that they all be treated as equally as possible, no matter what state they live in and how wealthy or poor they were before being sent to prison.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:07 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
"All criminals" have NEVER been treated the same. Those with money buy off judges, and get good attorneys. Those w/o $ go to prison for the same behavior. Those with $ go to "Country Club" prisons, those w/o go to horrible prisons. This will never change, since those running the justice system are often corrupt.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:58 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
California isn’t the only location where this is being done. The problem for me is that why should the wealthy have the option to have this benefit, yet if you’re poor you go to the nasty other jails with inmates that you might not want to know or live with while you serve your time. Is this fare? Shouldn’t “all” criminals be treated the “same” ? Everyone in prison should be treated humanely.

Soft Cell: California Inmates Can Pay for Cushier Accommodations - NBC News
So what? They are paying for the nicer digs.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:13 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
In Los Angeles, the jails already have separate holding areas for celebrities so that Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan, for example, is held separate from the general population. Authorities want to avoid a situation where a commoner maims the face of a celebrity just for fun.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:02 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
California isn’t the only location where this is being done. The problem for me is that why should the wealthy have the option to have this benefit, yet if you’re poor you go to the nasty other jails with inmates that you might not want to know or live with while you serve your time. Is this fare? Shouldn’t “all” criminals be treated the “same” ? Everyone in prison should be treated humanely.

Soft Cell: California Inmates Can Pay for Cushier Accommodations - NBC News

I see your point. Jail is supposed to be punishment and buying comfy quarters is not equal punishment, right? But consider it from this perspective. The upgraded quarters for the qwealthy are probably a bigger downgrade from their normal lifestyle than is the regular quarters to the lifestyle of the poor criminals. I think the wealthy are going to hate being in jail, even with "upgraded" quarters, as much or more so than anyone else.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:46 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
no, i think they need to be basic, no tv, no ac, just jail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events