Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:47 AM

68 posts, read 63,745 times

Advertisements

Hidden trove of suspected Nazi artifacts found in Argentina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 09:16 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
South America has a history of secret Natzi camps even up in the late 50's. They didn't stay just in Europe and North Africa.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Argentina has been known as a Nazi refugee center for a long time now. The worst of the worst Nazis fled there after the war. Nazi memorabilia is something that has never held any appeal for me. When I bought my TV package I included AHC (formerly the Military Channel) and have been quite disappointed with it because it seems their programming is dominated by Nazi this and Hitler that. Not a days programming goes by without a run of history on Nazi Germany.

I already know enough about the Nazis and Hitler and his cronies.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times
The story of Hitler committing suicide in the bunker came from the Soviets but the FBI and CIA have investigators who believed Hitler escaped by U boat to Argentina and lived at the Eden hotel in LaFalda Córdoba Argentina. The hotel was owned by Ida & Walter Eichhorn who were close friends of Hitler.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Argentina has been known as a Nazi refugee center for a long time now. The worst of the worst Nazis fled there after the war. Nazi memorabilia is something that has never held any appeal for me. When I bought my TV package I included AHC (formerly the Military Channel) and have been quite disappointed with it because it seems their programming is dominated by Nazi this and Hitler that. Not a days programming goes by without a run of history on Nazi Germany.

I already know enough about the Nazis and Hitler and his cronies.
Yes, so true! Growing up in the UK, this was common knowledge that the ones with the money and higher positions/connections got to escape to there. When I visited the UK last year, I was in an antique store and they had a room full of this stuff, including uniforms. It was creepy. My mother, who went thru WWII as a child froze in her tracks when she saw the room. She looked like she'd seen a ghost. She saw plenty of German prisoners up close as they were transported by her house on the way from the docks.

The symbol still turns my stomach when I see it. I only wish the young people who display it now truly understood what it represents.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:02 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
So, why and how can the collector be charged with a crime in this instance? I'm just wondering what the crime is to have a collection of such artifacts?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:16 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
So, why and how can the collector be charged with a crime in this instance? I'm just wondering what the crime is to have a collection of such artifacts?
I'm no expert on international law, but I don't think there is a crime concerning this individual having the artifacts, but questions need to be answered. How did this individual come by these artifacts? Was he housing these war criminals and that is how he got them? Did he steal these artifacts? It isn't every day where items of this caliber just pop up out of nowhere.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:17 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post

I think in this case, the owner is accused of selling stolen artwork, and the artifacts are seized as part of the investigation.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:55 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I think in this case, the owner is accused of selling stolen artwork, and the artifacts are seized as part of the investigation.
Ahh ok I misread the article. That would certainly make sense as a reason to seize his collection.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:03 AM

608 posts, read 516,844 times
I don't like to blame inanimate objects, I'd rather blame those responsible for their use, but I've never had any desire to own or collect any Nazi items. I've owned a number of military surplus rifles in my time, but I have never been interested in owning a Mauser. Not even enough to do any research to compare them to others. I would just feel a bit creepy because of the evil associated with any of those items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events