Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 09:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times

Advertisements

It is always appropriate to de-escalate a situation.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:47 AM

359 posts, read 320,359 times
I've traveled and lived many places, and have NEVER seen as many thoughtless/entitled/jerk drivers and road rage as I have in Southern California. It's disgusting. One of my favorite things about traveling to other states is the fact that driving is such a pleasant experience outside of CA.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I am going to err on the side of saying that the driver did not try to commit murder without some extraordinary, damning evidence.

I can't believe how many people think it was a murder attempt. No wonder 1 in 25 Americans on death row are eventually exonerated. Some post-mortem.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
I've traveled and lived many places, and have NEVER seen as many thoughtless/entitled/jerk drivers and road rage as I have in Southern California. It's disgusting. One of my favorite things about traveling to other states is the fact that driving is such a pleasant experience outside of CA.
Really? Have you driven in FL or the Northeast?

I live and have lived in Southern CA for now half my life, I find drivers here for the most part pretty good. Every once in awhile you get a jerk, but not that often.

FL is a scary, you have a lot of old people combined with reckless drivers. The Northeast very aggresive.

I pulled off the road twice in NJ due to tailgaters, going over the speed limit 10mph and they're still on your bumper.

Maybe you go to Iowa or Nebraska for you comparison.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
Have you been to Russia? I have and it's a million times worse then anything you'll experience in the US. I grew up in the northeast and live in LA now and I definitely think the northeast is as bad or worse

Old 06-25-2017, 05:40 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Have you been to Russia? I have and it's a million times worse then anything you'll experience in the US. I grew up in the northeast and live in LA now and I definitely think the northeast is as bad or worse
In Russia, it's mandatory for every vehicle to have a dashcam, that's how bad it is. Youtube has lots of horrifying Russian dashcam footage to watch.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
The only person I feel bad for is the guy in the white SUV that got flipped over. Amazing how two adults simply cannot act like adults and resolve a issue. A simple apology wave or a mouthed sorry man would of de-escalated the situation. Yet a third innocent person that wasn't even involved got hurt and destroyed their car. Damn idiots. If they turn into red staind on a highway I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Other than their friends and families I doubt most people would. Hopefully they find the biker and they both get sued by the SUV guy
I've seen bikers do stupid things. So it's not always the car drivers fault. Plenty of idiots on two or four wheels

Old 06-25-2017, 06:41 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
At first I was siding with the benefit of the doubt that the driver lost control after being startled by the kick, but after reading the testimony from the key witness (guy filming the thing) that the motorcyclist had kicked before the video, and therefore the kick we see is the second kick, its very apparent that what likely happened was an attempt to knock off the cyclist. Otherwise, how come he was startled the second time but not the first? Makes no sense.

It was also stated that the car bumped the motorcyclist before the video started. It seems to me that the driver of that car has a great burden of fault. However, so does the motorcyclist. He should have never instigated anything, should have never kicked the car. He should have just honked and yelled, but that's it. He has no reason to kick the car. I was almost hit by an idiot who went straight on a turning lane yesterday, I just honked at her to let her know what a dumb birch she was. I wasn't gonna open the door (my window doesn't roll down) and throw an object at her, that's insane!

He also fled the scene which will get him in even hotter water in the end.. Both are at fault.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:49 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am going to err on the side of saying that the driver did not try to commit murder without some extraordinary, damning evidence.

I can't believe how many people think it was a murder attempt. No wonder 1 in 25 Americans on death row are eventually exonerated. Some post-mortem.
"The motorcyclist then swooped behind the sedan, pulled up along the driver side and kicked the car again, Traber said. In a flash, the driver of the sedan swerved hard left and sideswiped the motorcyclist, almost sending him barreling into a concrete freeway divider, he said."
S/he knew the motorcyclist was there and pulled a hard left towards him. Maybe he didn't mean to actually kill him, but it sure seems like it wasn't just a scare tactic, there was intent to cause serious harm....

Old 06-25-2017, 11:49 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
To me, it looked like the guy in the car was retaliating back against the motorcyclist by trying to bump him with his car, then he lost control. Looks like some road rage on BOTH parts. Maybe not, but that's what it looks like to me.
I had some of the same judgement of the situation. It looked like the car was steadily edging in to the motorcyclist, who kicked the car to let it be known he was there. Then, almost instantly, the car swerved left into the motorcycle and somehow the rider maintained control. After viewing it over many times, I think that the car driver may have deliberately tried to smash the motorcyclist into the dividing barrier and may have known that the rider was there, all along. Obviously, if you've driven your car so close to a motorcyclist, that he can kick it, you're way too close.

But we don't know what happened before the video began, so the whole story is not known. Perhaps the video shooter has described the preliminary action, but I haven't heard any of it. The rider didn't look like a hardcore gangbanger at all and the cycle looked like one of those 250CC Honda motor scooters. It would have been very dangerous for the cyclist to try to edge over quickly to the right shoulder and to stop out there at the accident scene. So I don't blame him for continuing onward. I've ridden a motorcycle just a few times on a busy freeway and never wanted to do it again. It's too easy for drivers to miss seeing your cycle and to run right over you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events