Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:59 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The baby died in August 2016. There is no explanation why that site republished the information from last year without any indication it was that old, and without any updates. I googled and there hasn't been anything online since August 2016 about the case.
OK, thank you for the correction! Yes, it is puzzling why that site is publishing it now, nearly a year later.

I did find one reportage of the case having an update of September, '16 and it seems that was when the homicide charge was made right after the baby died. Looks like the salt was given sometime in early August, and she'd been on life-support since shortly after the incident.

Original article was Aug 2, '16 and the update was Sept 1, '16.

Quote:
SPARTANBURG, SC (FOX Carolina) -A woman is in custody after deputies said an Upstate baby died from acute salt poisoning.

According to the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office, the Special Victims Unit was called to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center on Saturday due to a 17-month-old baby girl suffering from seizures.

The baby, Peyton Martines, was reportedly diagnosed with an acute case of salt poisoning and was unresponsive on life support, before being taken off life support and passing away at 1:40 p.m. Wednesday.
Deputies: Baby dies after salt poisoning, mother charged -

Last edited by Macrina; 06-23-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 09:11 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,660 times
What the **** is wrong with these women who put a man before their children? No man is worth it. This mother deserves everything she gets. It is sad, so many people out there who cannot have children, but want them, would have took this child in a minute.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:07 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
This sounds like that horrible case....at least 10 years ago, Susan Smith. She wanted to marry a man who said he didn't want children, and she had 2 little boys from a previous marriage. So she hatched a plot to get rid of the boys. She strapped both into a pickup truck, then somehow managed to drive it into a lake. The boys drowned Meantime she made up a story about how her car was stolen with the boys inside. A hunt ensued, they found the truck at the bottom of the lake, with the two boys dead inside!

She broke under questioning and admitted what she'd done. All to get a man! Geez.....such precious little ones, how could any mother do such a thing?

Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I had never heard of a salt poisoning death, besides the science fiction series Alien Nation for that alien species. I would guess it would fall under Felony Murder even if there was no proof of her finding out that salt is lethal from some source.
Then read on. BBC News | UK | Warning after salt kills baby

Old 06-24-2017, 02:33 AM

228 posts, read 162,136 times
What a vile woman. No words for this.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:52 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The baby died in August 2016. There is no explanation why that site republished the information from last year without any indication it was that old, and without any updates. I googled and there hasn't been anything online since August 2016 about the case.
Yep. I did read the article and I remember when it happened. It just seems odd that a whole new story has been written with nothing new happening in the case. Or if there is something new, it wasn't written about.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:01 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I suspect people were getting better for when we were "uncivilized", especially when morals were dictated by religious adherence.
I say this as not a particularly religious person, but one that recognizes how this anything goes mentality has had a direct correlation with the loss of religion in our culture.
Even an atheist and/or agnostics must admit that religion keeps it followers from acting on all their base instincts. That is not to say religious people do not break the law or are perfect by any means. However many try to follow the teachings, and are less likely to commit vile/despicable things as a result.

The point being that we are all capable of evil and good, and only religious and/or societal teachings/pressures help to keep us in line. Life is still cheap to the truly evil, but it is likely more valued than it use to be. Or at least it was getting there until the aforementioned.

`
I disagree this is about good and evil or morality. It's about mental illness. I don't think it's lack of religion per se that allows people to get to this point, but rather the lack of community now.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:13 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
There was a similar case in my town a year or so ago, with a little boy adopted from another country dying of salt poisoning. Evidently the salt had been given to him as punishment - for what, I don't know. The mother was from a "good" family, and the case was hushed up - think she got probation, which is a travesty. I think the child was five or six...the mother claimed she didn't know the danger and was heart-broken, etc. Still a travesty.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:35 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There was a similar case in my town a year or so ago, with a little boy adopted from another country dying of salt poisoning. Evidently the salt had been given to him as punishment - for what, I don't know. The mother was from a "good" family, and the case was hushed up - think she got probation, which is a travesty. I think the child was five or six...the mother claimed she didn't know the danger and was heart-broken, etc. Still a travesty.
I think it might not be common knowledge how a fairly small amount of table salt can kill a child. And some people put hot sauce on a kids tongue, or soap in a kids mouth (I am not condoning that). So perhaps that played in. In this story the mother was trying to get the kid sick.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:31 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I suspect people were getting better for when we were "uncivilized", especially when morals were dictated by religious adherence.
I say this as not a particularly religious person, but one that recognizes how this anything goes mentality has had a direct correlation with the loss of religion in our culture.
Even an atheist and/or agnostics must admit that religion keeps it followers from acting on all their base instincts. That is not to say religious people do not break the law or are perfect by any means. However many try to follow the teachings, and are less likely to commit vile/despicable things as a result.
Religious people today are some of the vilest , meanest people I've come across in awhile . It CAUSED me to become an athiest . If thats what its about I don't want it .
We had a woman do this to her foster son back home in Corpus Christi, Tx anyone can google it , It was horrible . If this society were no so judgemental about "mothers" she may have found the courage to give the baby up .Before this was even an issue . Some people arent cut out for it and in this country there is always so much scorning for it .

I don't need religion to keep my manners or to be kind to someone .

Alot of kids here are kill in the NAME of religion . How many times have we heard a VERY mentally ill person say " I had to kill them so they could get to heaven ". Many times .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events