Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is sad that her purse was stolen and she ran down the robber the only way she knew how. It is sad that she will face more charges then the robber would. She did not ask to be robbed. The guy took complete advantage of her and she reacted.

It is sad that the right thing to do was to let him go and call the cops and let them file a report while she goes home and cancels all her credit cards, gets a new license, cell phone if that was in there and replaces everything in that bag while hoping the guy doesn't pay a visit to her house since he now has her address.

Purse snatching is somewhat of a petty crime in the eyes of the law but not to the victim.

Decades ago a relative of mine was pulling into his driveway and saw a guy coming out of his house with an armload of stuff, he chased the guy with his truck into the backyard where the guy went over a 4' tall fence and vanished.
The cops told my relative that it is a good thing that he didn't hit the guy with his truck because he would have been in more trouble then the guy who had just broken into his home.

Ridiculous.

In the case of this woman maybe her lawyer can get her off on temporary insanity.
I think attempted murder SHOULD be a bigger crime than burglary.

Somebody (can't find it now through Google) said about cruel and unusual punishment. "It's wrong not because of what it does to the criminals, but because of what it does to us".

Societies that are fine with running someone over for petty theft are full of completely desensitized and actually very dangerous people, IMHO.

Even in Biblical times, "an eye for an eye" was the standard of punishment. You don't run over someone and kill them for attempting to snatch your purse - he didn't even take her purse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 09:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Is this different than shooting a home invasion suspect in the back as he's running away? Sure they may deserve it but that's hardly self defense. Vehicular assault is easily overreaction.

You also have to question the maternal capability of someone who's going to do THAT to another human being. It's not like she was protecting the baby either.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:25 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Good for her. She should not be prosecuted. The dude made his choice and there's a thing called consequence. Get used to it.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:51 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Nope. Once the thief has left the property and has retreated, if you go after them away from the property you are the aggressor at that time. The man was away from the car and reportedly dropped the purse. He was no threat when the woman went after him.
So if he dropped it, then that's just fine? Let him get away with no punishment at all? He might not have been a further threat to her but he certainly wouldn't learn a lesson not to be a repeat offender.

So if your house was being burgled and you caught the guy/girl in the act and they ran with nothing, you wouldn't have tried to stop him/her?

Hmm? sorry, but I don't think many home owners with a gun would just leave it at that and walk back into their house. People get shot for a lot less.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
......So if your house was being burgled and you caught the guy/girl in the act and they ran with nothing, you wouldn't have tried to stop him/her?

Hmm? sorry, but I don't think many home owners with a gun would just leave it at that and walk back into their house. People get shot for a lot less.
They are not in the rules of engagement at that point. If they are leaving with property that is not recoverable by other means, yes (those are the rules of Texas but I'd probably just wave good bye), but otherwise, NO.

Rules of engagement are important. It means you don't do such of the above. It means you don't break the law to catch a bigger crook. It means you don't torture prisoners even if you believe they would do the same to you.

It means that you are actually civilized for if in anything else, what is there around to stop if you hit him, he comes back and breaks your leg? If he breaks your leg, you have his sister raped? If his sister is raped, he torches your house? He torched your house so you car bomb his family?

Where do we stop in trying to get the message across?

Old 07-04-2017, 11:01 AM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Then it is okay that the cops beat the skittles out of Rodney King? The man was in the wrong, fleeing from the police.

One is rather looking at the situation of "We are not going to bother with an arrest and a trial. We are going to take care of it right now and do what is right."

Is that what one really wants? Civilians and Cops taking that kind of attitude, taking that kind of action?

Does the ends justify the means?
If courts can't and won't do the job, yes.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If courts can't and won't do the job, yes.
That's the reason we have courts in the first place, to decide these things.

If we have already decided what the sentence should be and then we get upset when it doesn't happen, then why should we bother going through the cost of a trial in the first place?

Old 07-04-2017, 11:07 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
If this makes even one punk think twice about stealing a purse, a lesson was taught.
Inthis story, the victim is one of the punks as she has a drug and criminal history.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:44 AM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That's the reason we have courts in the first place, to decide these things.

If we have already decided what the sentence should be and then we get upset when it doesn't happen, then why should we bother going through the cost of a trial in the first place?
But a simple purse-snatching may take years to be heard even for plea purposes, much less a trial. And by that point everyone has forgotten the facts and just wants to clear the calendar. I personally think we should budget enough money for the courts so that matters can come up fast enough to be heard and be still relevant.

And for immigration instead of building walls, beef up those courts too, so that people are in or out of the country weeks, not years after INS catches up to them. It is unnecessarily harsh to deport people years after they come, the recent Ossining High School near-graduate being a case in point. See Ossining High School Senior Arrested By ICE Agents Faces Deportation. Much better to do it fast.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Assault with a deadly weapon (a vehicle) is not a proportional response to the crime of stealing a purse. A purse is not worth the risk she posed to herself, her unborn baby, this guy, and anyone else in her path who she could have potentially run over or struck.

I would also be understandably very upset if my property was stolen from me, but it doesn't give me the right to go back at the person who stole it in such a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events