Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:42 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Policeman adopts child he rescued from severe child abuse - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

^^^^^ Already made my day.

I saw a link re Amazon Prime Monday on the AOL homepage.

I clicked on the link.

That link took me to the Fox5 Vegas page, where the Amazon story was located. The link above was over on the sidebar to the right of the Amazon story.

The officer responded to a 911 call.

An 8 year old boy had been bound with rope, deprived of food, submerged in water, and apparently hit because he had bruises.

While the officer and his wife were looking into adopting the boy, they learned that the boy's biological mother had just given birth to the boy's sister in jail. They were able to bring the sister home when she was about a day old, and adopted the sister as well.

The boy is now a straight A student in the gifted and talented program at his school.

to the officer and his wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:48 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Thank you for posting that. With all the bad news and disasters that constantly plague us, it's nice to hear a story
that turned out good in the end.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Absolutely!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:27 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
As an adoptive mom, this just breaks my heart. Because it isn't a "happy ever after" story. Both kids and their new parents will face huge struggles along the way. It breaks my heart that people could harm their children. You have to wonder where their soul is. How do they even see themselves? I just cant....

Old 07-10-2017, 01:08 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
As an adoptive mom, this just breaks my heart. Because it isn't a "happy ever after" story. Both kids and their new parents will face huge struggles along the way. It breaks my heart that people could harm their children. You have to wonder where their soul is. How do they even see themselves? I just cant....
No, it isn't necessarily a happily ever after story, but re the recognition the officer received, I think the LEO community in that area may likely be supportive....better to have people above you in that professional world as supportive rather than not. That might later give the family more flexibility to meet the challenges. The person I love the most in the world (a member of my family, but not my daughter, and she doesn't live with me...I'm a close relative of her mother, who adopted as a single mom) is an international adoptee. We know she was likely born in a field, and ultimately was left on the doorstep of an an orphanage (likely by the birth mother who couldn't care for her), but we don't know much else that happened until her adoption at the age of one. She's a very healthy teenager now, but during her single digit years she would sometimes have terrible nightmares that we believed were rooted in that first year. We were supportive. Her pediatrician didn't suggest seeing anyone, and eventually the nightmares stopped. Anything she experienced was likely not even in the same universe as what the boy from the link experienced, but hopefully the love, stability, etc. the boy's adoptive mom and dad will provide will help more than a bit. I think it's especially great when LEOs, people in social services, etc. take on an adoption like this, as their professional skills/knowledge of the local 'system' might allow them to be more effective advocates re any available help than 'Jane or John Q. Public'.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:34 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
They don't have a soul... obviously.

Hope they spend many miserable years in jail, and most of all, have no more children.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:36 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
The infant will be fine.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:09 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The infant will be fine.
This is a common misconception about adoption. The baby and brain is heavily affected by gestation. A mother under great stress has babies with different brain structures. And then there is of course questions of drug/alcohol use, pre-natal care, etc.

Its going to be a long road but I am glad someone stepped up to love and care for them.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:16 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
The officer says everything is going well.

"I think little Dexter is going to turn out great! In fact, I'm already teaching him this code..."

Old 07-11-2017, 06:57 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
Nice story. I happy that the little boy and can know what it feels like to be in a loving family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events