Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 11:41 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,028,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The interesting thing here, IMHO, is that this couple is asking for an assistant to basically do the things other people do for pure pleasure. Create and maintain an aquarium, take the dog swimming at the beach. ???

It's a wonder she didn't ask for an assistant to please sit and sip coffee and read that stack of books she's been meaning to get to.
Yeah...the sample schedule and the job itself don't sound too bad for the most part. Some of it sounds quite fun.

They just sound "picky." It could go from something of a "dream job" to a really, really ****ty job really quickly if they nit-picked over every single thing, and I'm getting the gist that that's a possibility...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 12:05 AM

939 posts, read 789,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
...They just sound "picky." It could go from something of a "dream job" to a really, really ****ty job really quickly if they nit-picked over every single thing, and I'm getting the gist that that's a possibility...
+1

And they probably would nit-pick at someone taking care of other's personal hygiene, especially at that wage.

Brush their hair...why can't they use it as a bonding experience and brush each others!

$25 an hour for all that...no way.

$50 an hour, and $100 hazard pay every time doggy swims a little to far in the ocean, and if and when the bodyguard duties come into play...in writing!

And I'm getting the gist that there will be other things required that aren't officially on that list quite yet, even if they didn't ask applicants to supply a video.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,028,832 times
^ For some reason, I really thought the hair comments were related to the long-haired dog's hair, but who knows. They might just want their personal assistant to brush their hair.

I'm kinda wondering what "type of person" they are visualizing for this job.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:57 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,558,559 times
they asked for a cook, i know how to cook hotdogs, so what's the pet's name again?

Old 08-11-2017, 04:11 AM

16,306 posts, read 10,446,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
they asked for a cook, i know how to cook hotdogs, so what's the pet's name again?

Didn't you read the article? They are sick of eating processed foods and are looking for healthier alternatives. No you'll need to step up your game if you are going to be considered for this dream job.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:28 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,412,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
My problem with this is they are really underpaying. San Francisco is one of the most expensive housing markets in the U.S. That alone would require a much higher salary. They are basically offering minimum wage.

Yes there are butlers, but most get paid way more than this. My mother in law worked as a cleaning lady for a very wealthy family some years ago. Even back then she was paid 45k a year. That works out to $21.63 an hour. All she was required to do was clean the home, nothing else. There was a butler who earned 65k a year, or $31.25 an hour, and he ran the household. They also employed a gardener, 2 personal assistants, and a cook. My Mother in Law didn't know what the others earned, she really only interacted with the butler.

This couple wants a person to basically wear all of those hats. They should be offering what the standard rate for an executive assistant runs in their area. Looking at job websites, I can see job offerings for 80k to 90k a year.

The other problem they are going to run into, is the job posting seems to violate disability employment laws. By requiring potential job applicants to have a certain body type, they are opening themselves up to potential lawsuits. Yes some jobs require you be able to lift certain amounts of weight, but it is listed as "must be able to carry 50 lbs", not, "must look like Vin Diesel". Also, the add implies that you must be physically attractive to work for them. Again, you can't discriminate like that.
Sure...but it's so easy (though inefficient) to get around that. Don't say those words in the ad but screen out those that aren't "attractive" to you...they could probably hire a service to even do the pre-screening for them to get around the legal issues and then only do final interviews with the ones that passed the physical screening - voila!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:31 AM

518 posts, read 1,053,924 times
Sounds like a world famous egomaniac photographer who lives in my area who churns through 3 month no pay interns one after another. You know his famous cover photo, but might not know him by name. Copy of ad below from a few yrs back. This one is a little kinder than ones I've seen. I wish I could find the ones on Craigslist that pop up all the time. In addition to not being paid and having to work weekends as needed, it states very explicitly that the intern is entitled to lunch (so long as it's below $8). Funny, as if pouring salt in the wounds is a necessity. It also had longer full time hours 9-630 and a longer list of requirements. Apparently people line up for the abuse, and then write about it on glassdoor about how hostile and condescending the work environment is. Consistently 1 stars out of 5. Just to slap some a-holes name on their resume. Should be embarrassing for someone of his stature.

Magnum photographer .............. has an internship position available in his
......... office. REQUIREMENTS: The position requires a highly motivated self-
starter with a proven track record of excellence. Requirements: part time
3-month commitment, immediate availability. Candidates should have photography
work experience and be proficient in retouching using Photoshop. The ideal
candidate should be highly organized, flexible, resourceful and intelligent in
their approach to the workplace. Qualified and interested applicants should
send a detailed resume and three strong references. First selection is made
based on your skills relevant to our current needs. No phone calls, please

[LEFT] His typical ‘photo-related’ tasks were unappealing to say the least. These included reorganizing his three 5th Ave apartments where he hoarded what seemed like everything he’s ever owned. My personal favorite was the enormous collection of Afghan girl paintings, drawings and miscellanea that we would endless shuffle around until he got tired of directing. The biggest disappointment was learning that such a well respected image maker is so disconnected to reality and has a general disdain for the people he shoots.
I did, however, learn that as a photo rockstar you can do whatever you want. I think of him as the Terry Richardson of photo journalism. But alas…his name looks good on your resumé.

[/LEFT]Pros
Only pro is the free lunch under $8.

Cons
Interns learn little to no new skills, boss often makes interns run personal errands. General uncomfortable and hostile work environment.

[LEFT]Cons
Don't even know where to start- hostile work environment, vague directions, indecisiveness, a lot of condescension, which was known as an 'initiation' (and all came from the big boss himself).

Cons
I went into this experience expecting to pick up the dirty work: running errands, doing the tasks no one else had time for, being unpaid. I had no qualms with any of that. However, I went through 3 months of being spoken to in a manner that insulted my intelligence. I have no issue doing any job as long as I'm addressed with respect and positivity.[/LEFT]

Old 08-11-2017, 08:36 AM

34,256 posts, read 18,628,370 times
It sounds like they want someone to live their lives for them.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:26 AM

939 posts, read 789,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
...I can see this couple be the world's biggest pain in the @ss.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much for just swimming with the dog?
Nice one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
For some reason, I really thought the hair comments were related to the long-haired dog's hair, but who knows. They might just want their personal assistant to brush their hair...

So right you are, and thanks for clearing that up for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
...Or, they could be looking for young women to force into prostitution....

The way it's written, the ad will appeal to the gullible and the desperate. And the interviewees won't be averse to abusive situations. A 'good' con artist throws out certain questions or statements, which will cause wise people to FLEE. After running that 'filter', what they're left with, are people who're UNWISE: ideal prey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
...I would think some people who would request this service at that pay would probably just hire someone under the table to do the work and not advertise. Sounds like a job for an aspiring actor.
I think it's more of a peon job, rich dweebs who will degrade you, work your mind, then finally make it up to you be letting you please them under the table, as it were...they did ask for discretion.
Whether it's SF or not, what makes anyone think they'd necessarily want a woman for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm gonna get this job somehow then cook them Ramen noodles every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

Chow hound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Didn't you read the article? They are sick of eating processed foods and are looking for healthier alternatives...
Done.

Just boil the hotdogs or noodles in Kona Nigari ($402 per 750 ml):

Old 08-11-2017, 01:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,508,787 times
what's really sad are two functioning, living human beings who are so rapt with their "careers"/jobs that they fail at everything normal people do. Ok, nearly everything. they can still wipe and bathe themselves. something has gone terribly wrong. as a dog owner, why have an animal if you have little to no time to train it or interact with it? sure, you can hire out a lot of the pet's care, but when it gets down to it, to have a well adjusted pet, you need to be the one to do the training and much of the interaction.

I'd remain unemployed than take a job like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events