Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 02:34 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share this info with others who have short haired dogs. My current gf is super allergic to my dog so trying to make things as easy on her as possible keeping the house clean and hair off things and keeping my dog brushed. I tried the furminator with the blades and was impressed but once I bought the Kong Rubber Brush it blows the furmaster out of the water. With the furminator I feel like the blade maybe cuts hairs as opposed to pulling dead hairs out. This Kong brush gets so much hair off the dog and I like I can also use it in the shower when I give him a bath. I have an Olde English Bulldogge and this is the only thing that has worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 02:39 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
I bought the Kong Rubber brush because Karma runs and hides at the sight of a brush. She loved it! She loved it so much she ate half of it. I never did get to brush her with it.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:28 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,586 times
A trick I learned in my grooming business was to take a rubber curry ( has lots of little rubber nubbies on it) and use it while washing short haired dogs. When you get them soaped up, take the curry and work the coat in the direction the hair grows. Use as much pressure as your dog will allow or enjoys. The curry will help loosen and remove a ton of hair and really get the soap down to the skin. Then, rinse, rinse, rinse some more.

Brush them again with the curry when they are wet!!! Get yourself a bucket to put all that dog hair in!!! It works great.

With longer coats, husky, shepherds etc.. use a slicker type of brush and do the same thing. Be careful not to brush to hard as the wires can scratch, but it will take out gobs of undercoat and dead hair. It also helps get the crud out.

Have fun!

PS.... put your shampoo in a little bucket and mix it with 50% water.. leave a sponge or rag in the bucket and use that to soap the pooch. This diluted shampoo is easier to get into the coat, and easier to get out of the coat. Rinse, Rinse and Rinse one more time!!!

Old 07-20-2013, 07:53 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I bought the Kong Rubber brush because Karma runs and hides at the sight of a brush. She loved it! She loved it so much she ate half of it. I never did get to brush her with it.
Too funny

Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
I use a rubber horse grooming ... rubber curry comb cost all of $2.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
It doesn't have to be Kong. We have a similar rubber brush with a handle. These rubber brushes loosen and remove an amazing amount of hair. When you think you have it all removed, take a fine tooth comb and you'll get the remaining hair that was loosened. Our dogs LOVE these rubber bushes. It's like being massaged.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Zoom Groom.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:19 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
I like the zoom groom (use something like it to massage them when Im bathing them), also the shedding blade which gets gobs off and the Furminator (which I havent used in a while), that I do dry (no water). LIke Hopes mentioned, I use a flea comb around their chest and on either side of their tails where the hair seems to be extra thick. Will check out the Kong brush next time im in PetCo or PetsMart but I need another dog brush etc like I need a hole in the head, lol. They're not overjoyed by the brushing but tolerate it as long as I do it in small stages. Clipping their nails is also at the bottom of their list, that gets done by the groomer about once a month. Thankfully, teethbrushing is another story, they actually like it, go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs