Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 03:45 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times

Advertisements

People are getting ridiculous! If you know you have an allergy then you must tell the airline when you book your ticket. That way the airline can prepare. If not, then oh well, your problem! Pet are allowed to fly and people know that, it's nothing new!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 05:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Clearly none of you have ever suffered an asthma attack when exposed to animal dander. If I am in a room with a dog ...within minutes I would be wheezing. Now I don't think I would have reacted like her, nor am I convinced she even has allergies but I would feel a certain distress if a dog was near me on a plane. As a RULE though, it would be difficult to have an attack unless the dander had built up (i.e. on a rug or couch) so I'd probably deal with it. I always laugh when I go into a house and its covered in dog hair and the owner takes the dog into another room like that is going to do anything.
I have been with my husband when we have had to leave a party because the dog dander was really making his asthma act up---and this was a housewarming in a totally clean place where there hadn't been much dander built up yet. He is always supposed to carry his inhaler and unfortunately for him, he forgot it that night. We had to leave early and find those OTC pills that stink to hold him over because apparently he didn't want to go to the ER when he was having a very hard time breathing.

For him, he never knows, so he must always be vigilant. He would not demand dogs to be removed from a plane but I do think he might request that he sit away from the dogs. But then again, he's pretty reasonable.

This year he started having asthma attacks to pollen. We must cut all of the trees down now! (Kidding.)

Old 10-08-2017, 06:14 PM

46,975 posts, read 26,026,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Their logic is probably is "hell just deal with it!". I am the paying customer so they should notify me of this status.
Pet owners are paying customers. And in many cases they pay for their dog's passage as well, so if you want to make the case that "money=influence", it's your fare vs. the fare of the pet owner + pet, lessee - yeah, sorry, mr. Ryu, but we can better afford to lose your business.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
People are getting ridiculous! If you know you have an allergy then you must tell the airline when you book your ticket. That way the airline can prepare. If not, then oh well, your problem! Pet are allowed to fly and people know that, it's nothing new!
That's a bingo.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:25 PM

35,105 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
That's a bingo.
This is about religion, not health.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:31 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Pet owners are paying customers. And in many cases they pay for their dog's passage as well, so if you want to make the case that "money=influence", it's your fare vs. the fare of the pet owner + pet, lessee - yeah, sorry, mr. Ryu, but we can better afford to lose your business.
LOL. Did you read my post entirely?? Also, if the dog/animal is stated to be a service or EMS animal then they don't have to pay for the animal.

My statement on "I am the paying customer so they should notify me of this status" was in reference to how an airline should clearly make it known to all customers that an animal will be on the cabin and if anyone has a allergy or an issue with that they can see the gate desk to make adjustment. I get animal lovers but not everyone wants to be around animal to allergies, fear, or just plain not wanting to be next to an animal. The airline needs to accommodate all paying customers and they should do this before boarding the flight. This would prevent issues like the one highlighted in this thread.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:57 PM

758 posts, read 551,601 times
Quote:
The airline should be more communicative on the pet status on a flight. I have never heard an airline agent announce that a dog or pet will be on board a flight and if anyone has any allergies please see the gate desk or an airline carrier send an email to all passengers on that certain flight notifying them that a pet will be on aboard the cabin. Why not?? . . .It is too much hassle for them and it's probably more costly for them. Their logic is probably is "hell just deal with it!". I am the paying customer so they should notify me of this status. I usually book flights 1-2 months in advance so the airline can send an update before the departure date if a pet will be on board and if so they should be able to rebook me on another flight free of charge.
Why not? Because making such an announcement implies they will try to accommodate everyone who has a problem. For example, you want to be re-booked on another flight, and presumably one without dogs. How are they going to guarantee they even have such a flight going where you want?

Further, most people with an allergy wouldn't even notice, so announcing it is just asking for a bunch of people to come up and demand accommodation. Responding to those requests will slow the process to a crawl. If every airline did this the airports would approach permanent gridlock.

Why do I know most allergic people wouldn't notice? Because dogs were on the inbound flight, or the flight before that, or the flight before that, most likely, but the allergic people get on anyway and don't complain of any symptoms during the flight. The plane is not cleaned thoroughly enough between flights to reduce dog dander (or human-carried bacteria). Basically, they just pick up the trash, which doesn't address the issue.

I'm sure there are some sensitive allergic people. Everyone can make a mistake and forget to pack something, but my sense is that sensitive allergic people are the people who have had enough trouble or see enough danger they want to avoid that they prepare ahead of time. And if they are not prepared, they make other plans. They don't ask every other living thing to accommodate them.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:06 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
Why not? Because making such an announcement implies they will try to accommodate everyone who has a problem. For example, you want to be re-booked on another flight, and presumably one without dogs. How are they going to guarantee they even have such a flight going where you want?

Further, most people with an allergy wouldn't even notice, so announcing it is just asking for a bunch of people to come up and demand accommodation. Responding to those requests will slow the process to a crawl. If every airline did this the airports would approach permanent gridlock.

Why do I know most allergic people wouldn't notice? Because dogs were on the inbound flight, or the flight before that, or the flight before that, most likely, but the allergic people get on anyway and don't complain of any symptoms during the flight. The plane is not cleaned thoroughly enough between flights to reduce dog dander (or human-carried bacteria). Basically, they just pick up the trash, which doesn't address the issue.

I'm sure there are some sensitive allergic people. Everyone can make a mistake and forget to pack something, but my sense is that sensitive allergic people are the people who have had enough trouble or see enough danger they want to avoid that they prepare ahead of time. And if they are not prepared, they make other plans. They don't ask every other living thing to accommodate them.
Again. Re-read the entire post. Also, let's say the allergic person doesn't notice the dog and has an attack at 30,000 ft. The flight will have to land at the nearest airport. Making an announcement will also give notice to the person with the allergy so they can take medicine or buy medicine for the flight.

"the airline can send an update before the departure date if a pet will be on board and if so they should be able to rebook me on another flight free of charge. IMO, if you bring a pet you should not be able to select your seat. The desk agent makes the announcement and rearranges the seat configuration then afterwards, the pet person is placed in an area far way from the allergic person. This will save a lot of headache for ALL parties. The only issue is that people will not be to keen on giving up their seats (especially if they paid for that specific seat). Let's remember everyone PAYS for their seat. (the allergic person, the pet bringer, the regular flyer, etc)"

Old 10-08-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
LOL. Did you read my post entirely??
Yes.

Quote:
Also, if the dog/animal is stated to be a service or EMS animal then they don't have to pay for the animal.
Correct, and the airline is then legally required to accept it. I picked the exanple where the airline actually has leeway.

Quote:
My statement on "I am the paying customer so they should notify me of this status" was in reference to how an airline should clearly make it known to all customers that an animal will be on the cabin
Most customers don't give two hoots.

Quote:
and if anyone has a allergy or an issue with that they can see the gate desk to make adjustment.
Anyone with an allergy is already perfectly free to contact the airline ahead of time. In fact, Soutwest's website encourages it.

Quote:
The airline needs to accommodate all paying customers and they should do this before boarding the flight.
Call the airline, say "I see on your website you accept dogs, please seat me away from dogs, if any." Easy.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:20 PM

758 posts, read 551,601 times
Quote:
"the airline can send an update before the departure date if a pet will be on board and if so they should be able to rebook me on another flight free of charge. IMO, if you bring a pet you should not be able to select your seat. The desk agent makes the announcement and rearranges the seat configuration then afterwards, the pet person is placed in an area far way from the allergic person. This will save a lot of headache for ALL parties. The only issue is that people will not be to keen on giving up their seats (especially if they paid for that specific seat). Let's remember everyone PAYS for their seat. (the allergic person, the pet bringer, the regular flyer, etc)"
I doubt the desk agents have lots of free time to re-configure all the seating for all the passengers for potentially every single flight. Again, doing this would slow the air traffic to a crawl.

Quote:
Making an announcement will also give notice to the person with the allergy so they can take medicine or buy medicine for the flight.
If someone is so allergic they need to take medicine before a flight if _______________ is on the flight, they should approach the gate and ask the questions they need to ask to address that question. There is no need to make an announcement.

Quote:
Again. Re-read the entire post. Also, let's say the allergic person doesn't notice the dog and has an attack at 30,000 ft. The flight will have to land at the nearest airport.
You're making my point. Allergic people have been on thousands of planes with dogs and planes that had dogs on them and were not cleaned until days later, and there have been precious few (if any) emergency landings caused by allergic reactions. If you were right we'd see lots of emergency landings because of allergies. Yet, we do not. So, its not a problem. It may be a problem for YOU, but that does not make it a problem. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events