Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:07 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,896,519 times

Advertisements

Just a side note...they were about to take flash photos...anyone think the mom was maybe on top of her game because of that? You know, lights flashing at an epileptic girl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 01:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,896,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Tough crap! If that man playing Santa has an allergy, he gets the last word on this! Sorry, but the kid can be away from the dog for a minute for goodness sake. I am tired of these parents and how privileged people are acting. Santa can't help he has an allergy. Goodness!
Well the ADA disagrees with you...so...I guess tough crap for santa.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
As I have shown repeatedly, not necessarily.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:50 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Isn't 10 a little old to still believe in Santa?
No.

Some kids are naturally more trusting, believing, etc...

Some kids are naturally more skeptical...

What's more common I think is that the oldest sibling believes longer than the progressively younger ones, and if their friends are all more towards the older than the younger ones, then they believe even longer.

If this kid has a disability, then there's every chance she's very sheltered, and the more worldly "cool" kids are more likely not to want to associate with the girl with the helicopter mom and dog that goes everywhere and has siezures.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:11 PM

581 posts, read 456,977 times
Why is a 10 year-old still getting pictures with Santa? I outgrew that when I was five.

As a general rule, I'm just over people and their stupid entitlements. The dog could've been away from the girl for the 30 seconds it would've taken to snap the picture. If the girl was gonna have a seizure the dog would've detected it after she was done, so I highly doubt it was a life or death issue. It's just a case of parents thinking the world needs to bend over backwards for their speshul snowflakes.

Last edited by SparklesNShine; 11-30-2017 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 02:14 PM

11,832 posts, read 5,816,767 times
Quote:
People here are so lucky not to live lives with serious physical disabilities. Even people clearly disabled (paralyzed, wheel chairs, etc) are discriminated against by lazy people who don't want to follow the law and are too self centered to think about how other people live. Let alone someone with an invisible disability.

The girl had the legal right to have the dog with her ( a real service dog, not a ESA) and they refused her. That isn't ok. Santa needs to take a Zertec.
Why is it that other people have to put their health issues aside - to accommodate one person? I'm allergic and break out in hives if even near the fur of a certain animal. When someone can't have it their way - they run to Facebook and the media for their 15 minutes of fame.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:16 PM

11,832 posts, read 5,816,767 times
Quote:
Just a side note...they were about to take flash photos...anyone think the mom was maybe on top of her game because of that? You know, lights flashing at an epileptic girl?
If flash photos have the possibility of causing a seizure - than you don't have flash photos taken. Why even take the chance? Grab your cell phone - snap a pic and download it to your computer.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Why is it that other people have to put their health issues aside - to accommodate one person? I'm allergic and break out in hives if even near the fur of a certain animal. When someone can't have it their way - they run to Facebook and the media for their 15 minutes of fame.
Allergies should not be a reason to deny service - it doesn't say they may not be a reason to make a reasonable accommodation, like letting the dog remain to the side where he can see the child because Santa had an allergy.

Quote:
Most allergies to animals are caused by direct contact with the animal. A separated space might be adequate to avoid allergic reactions.
Similarly...

Quote:
If employees, fellow travelers, or customers are afraid of service animals, a solution may be to allow enough space for that person to avoid getting close to the service animal.
https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

The disabled person's rights DO NOT trump others'. One cannot refuse service because of an allergy or fear, but they can make a reasonable accommodation like those mentioned above.

Mom may want to brush up on her ADA rules before running to the media.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 11-30-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 02:34 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
Does it? What provision? At what point is it no longer a reasonable accommodation?

I think, that the mall screwed up a little in not allowing the dog to sit 10 feet away looking at the kid though. I can't imagine mall Santa is so allergic that that would cause problems. If he is, he really can't go out in public, much less have kids with dog hair on them sit on his lap.

I do appreciate the severity and intensity and danger of an allergy. I am violently allergic to cats. Their presence isn't enough to bother me, but I can't sit anywhere they like to sit. My in-laws have a cat, and while I can sit on their leather sofa, or in their kitchen (all hard surfaces,) I can't use any of the beds upstairs save for the guest bedroom which is perennially closed. I can't sit in the easy chair my MIL likes to use since the cat sits on top of it. Its more than sneezing and itchy eyes; my chest closes. I literally will wake up unable to take a deep breath at all. It feels like my lungs are filled with fluid. I used to ignore it til I happened to go to the Dr for a checkup one day before and he got on my case about it, said I would stress my heart in a bad way.

The most recent time it happened was the worst. I had my parents visiting my soon-to-be inlaws. This time I did go to the hospital. I would go again. So I believe that Mall Santa is allergic, severely so. I just don't buy his claim the dog needs to be out of sight for him to be safe. The guy isn't going around with a 40 yard anti-dog forcefield.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Does it? What provision? At what point is it no longer a reasonable accommodation?

I think, that the mall screwed up a little in not allowing the dog to sit 10 feet away looking at the kid though. I can't imagine mall Santa is so allergic that that would cause problems. If he is, he really can't go out in public, much less have kids with dog hair on them sit on his lap.

I do appreciate the severity and intensity and danger of an allergy. I am violently allergic to cats. Their presence isn't enough to bother me, but I can't sit anywhere they like to sit. My in-laws have a cat, and while I can sit on their leather sofa, or in their kitchen (all hard surfaces,) I can't use any of the beds upstairs save for the guest bedroom which is perennially closed. I can't sit in the easy chair my MIL likes to use since the cat sits on top of it. Its more than sneezing and itchy eyes; my chest closes. I literally will wake up unable to take a deep breath at all. It feels like my lungs are filled with fluid. I used to ignore it til I happened to go to the Dr for a checkup one day before and he got on my case about it, said I would stress my heart in a bad way.

The most recent time it happened was the worst. I had my parents visiting my soon-to-be inlaws. This time I did go to the hospital. I would go again. So I believe that Mall Santa is allergic, severely so. I just don't buy his claim the dog needs to be out of sight for him to be safe. The guy isn't going around with a 40 yard anti-dog forcefield.
It seems to be unclear. Another article I linked earlier said she did move the dog to the side, but did not clarify whether he could see the child or whether the picture was taken. The kid was mad, the mother said in that article, that her dog couldn't be IN the picture. AFAIK mom never said the dog was not allowed to be feet away, able to still see her.

I agree that if the employees would not accommodate, that sounds like a violation. But it seems we don't know. Which suggests to me that it's just mom freaking out, because why wouldn't she clarify and just say it if they refused to let the dog be a distance away? Her issue seems to be that her child didn't get what she wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events