Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:57 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I posed this in another group. Give me one instance where someone has had a severe allergic reaction to an animal who doesn't live in the building you are in, isn't in touching proximity to you, and doesn't lick you. I can't find any such instance. Allergic reactions you mention are more in the food such as peanuts than in animals where you don't touch them or their dander. If you had such an issue, then wouldn't even touching the girl have caused a reaction? She would, of course, have both saliva and dander/hair on her from the service dog. It is my belief (and I am stressing my belief) that this was an instance of fear of dog not actual issue with allergies. There are many people with extreme fear of animals.
My childhood best friend had a severe horse allergy. She didn't learn about it until she visited her cousins who had just gotten a horse and went out to the barn. She went into anaphylactic shock outside of the door to the barn, and was lucky that EMTs were able to get there very quickly. Even with an epi-pen, she will always need to be hospitalized following encounters with a horse.

Before that, she had been around people who had and rode horses so probably had horsehair and such on them, but never was in the room with a horse.

Now she works with vulnerable populations in a medical field. She lives in fear that one of her patients will have a service horse. Legally, she can't do anything to protect herself if there is no one else at her practice to fulfill her duties (small office where she's often the only dietician) despite it being a deadly allergy for her.

Granted, horses can cause anaphylaxis while cats and dogs are more likely to cause histamine reactions. Additionally, that level of allergic reaction tends to be paired with contact with the animal, generally though saliva.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 01:00 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I posed this in another group. Give me one instance where someone has had a severe allergic reaction to an animal who doesn't live in the building you are in, isn't in touching proximity to you, and doesn't lick you. I can't find any such instance. Allergic reactions you mention are more in the food such as peanuts than in animals where you don't touch them or their dander. If you had such an issue, then wouldn't even touching the girl have caused a reaction? She would, of course, have both saliva and dander/hair on her from the service dog. It is my belief (and I am stressing my belief) that this was an instance of fear of dog not actual issue with allergies. There are many people with extreme fear of animals.
https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/dog#causes

If Santa has asthma, there is a chance that the allergy could turn into an asthma attack which you can die from if not treated properly. As for the other symptoms, you might not think they are severe, but I personally wouldn't want these to happen to me while on the job.

swelling and itching in the membranes of the nose or around the eyes
redness of the skin after being licked by a dog
coughing, shortness of breath, or wheezing within 15 to 30 minutes of exposure to allergens
rash on the face, neck, or chest
a severe asthma attack (in someone with asthma)

Old 11-29-2017, 01:03 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

If she can't do without the dog for a few minutes, than perhaps a shopping mall isn't the place for her to be.
If Santa Guy can't handle working in an environment where he may have to deal with customers who are disabled and require service dogs, maybe face-to-face customer service work isn't for him.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 PM

531 posts, read 384,323 times
The little girl could of went with out the dog for a few mins. with out the dog. Sounds like mom just wanted some attention.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
The people with allergies versus people who need service dogs is an ongoing issue in society today.

In this situation, though, I think the girl could have let someone watch her dog for a minute while she talked to Santa. I've taken my kids to Santa over the years and he spends like, 2 minutes with each kid. Is there girl never separated from her service dog under any circumstance? I find that hard to believe.

So I'm going to side with Santa here.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:21 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So where does the Santa employee's rights kick in? It seems if he has a serious allergy to dogs, that needs to be accommodated too.
Legally speaking, the service dog (and handler) has rights that trump allergy sufferers... if you don't believe me, just check the official ADA site and their regulations. This is a federal law, too, so there's no wiggle room here. I can sympathize, given that I'm just clearing up now from a major allergy attack this morning (at work). But I also understand how these laws work, and wouldn't expect a disabled person with a service dog to accommodate me. I can take an allergy pill; this kid can't stop herself from having seizures.

FYI: My allergy attack was caused by dust and perfume, not a dog. But that's a moot point, lol.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:31 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Ironic how you talk about people with serious disabilities. Yet you have no empathy to people with serious allergies. You did that on the other thread about the sorority house.

Popping a pill doesn't always solve the problem. Someone who has severe allergies can end up in bad shape or worse.

If she can't do without the dog for a few minutes, than perhaps a shopping mall isn't the place for her to be.
As I said above, I suffer from allergies myself - very severely in some cases, like if I get within maybe 20 feet of a large bird (gives me instant asthma attack). But I still have more sympathy for people with legitimate service animals, and also understand their rights trump mine. Sorry.

And are you saying that people with (service animal-dependent) disabilities should restrict their lives, just in case someone is allergic? So a blind person with a guide dog should stay home 24/7, since they can't be independently mobile without that animal? Talk about lacking empathy and understanding.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:34 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Why couldn't they just go to a different Santa. I appreciate the need to be accommodating to those with special needs but maybe the mother should have called ahead. I'm sorry but it really sounds like this mother's attitude is making a mountain out of a mole hill and one would think after experience with her daughters challanges she would have more respect when someone says they have a health concern!

Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Legally speaking, the service dog (and handler) has rights that trump allergy sufferers... if you don't believe me, just check the official ADA site and their regulations. This is a federal law, too, so there's no wiggle room here. I can sympathize, given that I'm just clearing up now from a major allergy attack this morning (at work). But I also understand how these laws work, and wouldn't expect a disabled person with a service dog to accommodate me. I can take an allergy pill; this kid can't stop herself from having seizures.

FYI: My allergy attack was caused by dust and perfume, not a dog. But that's a moot point, lol.
My in laws use to work with a woman who had severe sensitivity/allergies to scented parfumes and deodorants. One of there coworkers found her slumped over at her desk and she was rushed to the hospital. they all decided that the office would be a parfume, deodorant, hairspray, scents free environment for her. It was a large office too. So kudos to them for looking out for her.

Regarding other posters in this thread: I’m wondering why people respond without reading the article or google it. It’s quite clear that the girl needs her dog 24/7 and the mother was only asking for the dog to be in sight of the girl. No where near the Santa.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:54 PM

123 posts, read 144,291 times
Honest question, how do professionals with animal allergies who need to be close to their clients/patients deal with service animals? I'm thinking doctors, physical therapists, dentists, etc... Can they deny service or request that the animal not be present? what kind of accommodation do they request for their own health and safety?

In my completely uninformed opinion, I feel bad for this little girl, but she and her mom can choose to see a different Santa. Santa cannot choose to stop being allergic to dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events