Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:38 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,150,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Seems pretty cut and dry here.
Seems like you clipped off the Bird's wings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 10:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,601,589 times
Don't you dare tell me Santa isn't real!

Old 11-29-2017, 11:26 AM

1,864 posts, read 1,662,557 times
10 year old daughter still being made to believe in Santa, "needs" an animal for assistance, animal is named:"Romeo", I'm guessing single (or effectively single) Mom.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,700,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
People here are so lucky not to live lives with serious physical disabilities. Even people clearly disabled (paralyzed, wheel chairs, etc) are discriminated against by lazy people who don't want to follow the law and are too self centered to think about how other people live. Let alone someone with an invisible disability.

The girl had the legal right to have the dog with her ( a real service dog, not a ESA) and they refused her. That isn't ok. Santa needs to take a Zertec.
Ironic how you talk about people with serious disabilities. Yet you have no empathy to people with serious allergies. You did that on the other thread about the sorority house.

Popping a pill doesn't always solve the problem. Someone who has severe allergies can end up in bad shape or worse.

If she can't do without the dog for a few minutes, than perhaps a shopping mall isn't the place for her to be.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:46 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,043,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
10 year old daughter still being made to believe in Santa, "needs" an animal for assistance, animal is named:"Romeo", I'm guessing single (or effectively single) Mom.
It’s a service dog not an ESA. She has him for a valid reason, she has seizures. And why do people get so sexist on threads?

Old 11-29-2017, 11:55 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,964,102 times
So from the article, it looks as though the mother was standing a ways from the santa and told the helper that the dog needs to see the little girl. She was told to move the dog away from the area (or off the red carpet). In another article, it says, the dog needs to see the girl at all times. All she asked was that if the dog couldn't be in the picture than to have it nearby to see her. She was told no on all accounts and that she should come back on another day.

Seems to me that they broke the ADA (based on what information the ADA link provided).

Old 11-29-2017, 12:19 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,923,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Ironic how you talk about people with serious disabilities. Yet you have no empathy to people with serious allergies. You did that on the other thread about the sorority house.

Popping a pill doesn't always solve the problem. Someone who has severe allergies can end up in bad shape or worse.

If she can't do without the dog for a few minutes, than perhaps a shopping mall isn't the place for her to be.
I HAVE SERIOUS ALLERGIES!

And it isn't the same. The child had a right to have her service dog with her. That's the law. Go read it.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 PM

3,239 posts, read 2,462,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The 10-year-old wasn't allowed to have Romeo, her service dog, in the pic due to Santa's allergy. Mom was told to return with her daughter for a "Pet" day. She immediately took to Facebook to recount her "horrible" experience.

Have we all gone mad? This child couldn't be without the dog for 2 minutes? All the mother had to do was step aside with the dog, and wait while her kid, in full view of her, sat with Santa, and then had her picture taken. Then she could have snapped her own cell phone pic of her daughter and Romeo to memorialize the event.

Yeesh.

Mall Santa Sends Away Girl With Service Dog « CBS Boston
That is what she tried to do but they wouldn't let her. The dog needs to be able to see the child in case a seizure is about to start but the Santa staff wanted the dog far away. It wasn't about having the dog with Santa for a photo op.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
Petsmart does photos with Santa every year at all locations. I'm sure that they would accommodate both dogs and children. https://www.facebook.com/events/242064679544536/
The problem with this and service dogs is that the dogs at pet smart may not be trained and may attack or in some way inhibit the service dog from performing his or her duty. I am aware of and a supporter of a trainer for service dogs, PSTD and helping children with developmental issues. He is very supportive of restrictions regarding non service dogs and vocal about it. There has been several instances of service dogs having bad encounters with non-service dogs to the point the dog can no longer function as a service dog. This is extremely costly, as it is expensive to have a well trained service dog and having to replace it is not just an inconvenience. It means training again with another dog. No one would bring their service dog into a situation where there are other dogs who may be untrained. The ADA law is such that there is no excuse other than the dog misbehaving to deny a dog access to his person for 2 minutes or for 30 seconds.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I posed this in another group. Give me one instance where someone has had a severe allergic reaction to an animal who doesn't live in the building you are in, isn't in touching proximity to you, and doesn't lick you. I can't find any such instance. Allergic reactions you mention are more in the food such as peanuts than in animals where you don't touch them or their dander. If you had such an issue, then wouldn't even touching the girl have caused a reaction? She would, of course, have both saliva and dander/hair on her from the service dog. It is my belief (and I am stressing my belief) that this was an instance of fear of dog not actual issue with allergies. There are many people with extreme fear of animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events