Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times

Advertisements

Error in South Carolina lottery game brings highs, then lows - CNN

My favorite line from this is the woman who is upset because she had been promising to take her kids to Disney but couldn't afford it but now she finally could! Until her hopes were crushed.

Maybe if she didn't play the lottery every day she'd have taken them to Disney multiple times by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 08:41 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Hmmm ... I must have missed the part where it said she plays the lottery every day.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Hmmm ... I must have missed the part where it said she plays the lottery every day.
I'm sure it was her first time playing.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:14 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
There's a wide, wide range between never played before and plays every day.

And if someone called you and said "hey, there's something weird going on, but everyone who's buying a lottery ticket today is winning!" wouldn't you run out and buy a few?

Old 12-28-2017, 12:11 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
I buy a lottery ticket maybe twice a year...maybe. It's always an impulse buy, but I'm not by any means a regular player. I'm sure I'm not alone in that once or twice a year impulse, no matter what your assumptions might be.

What a downer to think you won, only to have it snatched away.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Maybe if she didn't play the lottery every day she'd have taken them to Disney multiple times by now.
It costs a $1 to play. Even if she played a few times a week, she would have to save more than just that $1 or $2 a week to be able to afford multiple Disney vacations.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:14 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's a wide, wide range between never played before and plays every day.

And if someone called you and said "hey, there's something weird going on, but everyone who's buying a lottery ticket today is winning!" wouldn't you run out and buy a few?
No I wouldn't because if "everyone" is winning on the lottery, the lottery is broke and something is wrong. This whole thing is nothing more than when a slot machine malfunctions and tries to pay out a crazy amount. I do believe these people should get their money back for the purchased tickets, but nothing else.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:07 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
There was a lottery, I think it was the one in Maryland, they did their drawing, but afterwards found out that one of the balls had gotten stuck to the side of the container and thus could not have been drawn. So what they did, after fixing the problem, was re-ran the drawing. AND . . . they honored winning tickets from both drawings.

THAT is the way to handle something like this, if you want to maintain the public's confidence in the lottery's integrity.

If South Carolina doesn't want to go that far, they should say that everyone holding the affected tickets can turn them in and get two free tickets to the game of their choice.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I buy a lottery ticket maybe twice a year...maybe. It's always an impulse buy, but I'm not by any means a regular player. I'm sure I'm not alone in that once or twice a year impulse, no matter what your assumptions might be.
Looking back to past winners, these are the people that usually win the big lotteries, those that dont normally play and just picking up a few tickets here and there.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:35 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Looking back to past winners, these are the people that usually win the big lotteries, those that dont normally play and just picking up a few tickets here and there.
When the prize gets big, sales explode because infrequent players buy tickets.

Thus, mathematically your stacking the ticket sales towards people that are not regular players.

It would be like if the NFL randomly handed out $1000 to a viewer.
Doing it during the Superbowl instead of a regular season game on a Sunday afternoon would more likely have the "winner" turn out to be someone that doesn't watch frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events