Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:05 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
There are people who believe we are living in a computer simulation like the matrix even. I once saw a TV show where a couple claimed they were stalked by a gnome. Yes, the type with the pointy hat. Another person claimed they were attacked by lizard people on a street in Los Angeles. Even more get possesed by demons supposedly every year. All sorts of crazy stories, outrageous claims. Many are entertaining to read though.
There are actually numerous reports of people claiming to see or encountering lizard people, especially in the southwest. Some of these go back 100s of years.

I cant recall the details, but there was a newspaper article from 1930s describing an underground city that had been discovered in southern CA, there were all kinds of strange things found, gold tablets, etc. I can try to find the article and post a link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 12:43 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras2027 View Post
I want whatever these people are smoking.
Tide pods.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:06 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,118,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
Why doesnt the ocean water spill off???

It's funny to hear all the people say water would spill off a flat earth yet think water sticks to a spinning ball...

Old 01-29-2018, 06:17 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There are actually numerous reports of people claiming to see or encountering lizard people, especially in the southwest. Some of these go back 100s of years.

I cant recall the details, but there was a newspaper article from 1930s describing an underground city that had been discovered in southern CA, there were all kinds of strange things found, gold tablets, etc. I can try to find the article and post a link.
Lizard people??? :/

Old 01-29-2018, 06:35 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
If the earth was flat, there would be nothing standing (cats would've knocked everything over by now)
Yes. Just ask Walter..

Old 01-30-2018, 07:00 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I think that's more of a religious thing though. Some Biblical/Muslim/Hindu (etc.) scholars whose lives revolve around researching religion and creationism have come to the conclusion (through the analysis of various scriptures) that the planet is only so old.
Considering religion/creationism itself isn't particularly based on scientific fact, but rather beliefs from within and historical writings/testimonies (not a jab at any religion FYI... I'm Christian) I don't find that to be nearly as loonie a belief as flat Earth.

We have more than enough proof that the Earth is round. Aside from carbon dating (which is known to be very vague and not entirely accurate) I don't think we have any actual proof as to how old Earth really is, do we?

Carbon-dating is not used to date the Earth.

Yes, carbon-dating is very accurate. We know this from calibrating it using objects of known age (ie, established in the historical record) and from dendrochronology, which was date some wood to the specific year going back several thousand years in various locations.

However, carbon-dating is only accurate to roughly 50,000 years BP. No one uses it to date the age of the Earth. The only people who think this happens are people who are are completely uninformed on the topic. Other types of radiometric dating are used to date the Earth. And not just one - several different methods are all used. And guess what? They all point to the same approximate age. By the way, not just Earth samples are dated. Samples from the moon and meteorites are also dated. Result? Same conclusion - an age of roughly 4.55 billion years. The age of the solar system.

"No one really knows how old the Earth is!" is nothing more than creationist claptrap. It's right up there with the claim that no one really knows if smoking causes cancer.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:08 AM

587 posts, read 225,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984
It's funny to hear all the people say water would spill off a flat earth yet think water sticks to a spinning ball...
Hmmmmm Yes well I guess Gravity takes care of that....... (But if it WAS FLAT I dont think anything could stop it from falling off into space)

Old 01-30-2018, 08:38 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

Carbon-dating is not used to date the Earth.

Yes, carbon-dating is very accurate. We know this from calibrating it using objects of known age (ie, established in the historical record) and from dendrochronology, which was date some wood to the specific year going back several thousand years in various locations.

However, carbon-dating is only accurate to roughly 50,000 years BP. No one uses it to date the age of the Earth. The only people who think this happens are people who are are completely uninformed on the topic. Other types of radiometric dating are used to date the Earth. And not just one - several different methods are all used. And guess what? They all point to the same approximate age. By the way, not just Earth samples are dated. Samples from the moon and meteorites are also dated. Result? Same conclusion - an age of roughly 4.55 billion years. The age of the solar system.

"No one really knows how old the Earth is!" is nothing more than creationist claptrap. It's right up there with the claim that no one really knows if smoking causes cancer.
I fully agree with you.
I was just saying that this is what they use as a counter-argument; not me. I've talked to a few people who believe the Earth is 6,000 years old, and it was all based on creationism. I am fully aware of samples taken from other celestial bodies.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:22 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Sad thing is, one of the most intelligent friends I have (and who I worked with as an EE for years) believes in this ****.
That's because they're mentally ill. (Not joking)

Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,118,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
Hmmmmm Yes well I guess Gravity takes care of that....... (But if it WAS FLAT I dont think anything could stop it from falling off into space)
To be clear...I don't have a clue what the place we live is because I can poke holes in all the theories and have no way to find out on my own...and the more I look into it the more questions I have and the more I find out that we've been lied to and taught incorrect "facts" all our lives.

Gravity is an unproven theory...it has not ever been proven by scientific method.

The same gravity that hold entire oceans to it's surface allows things to float and fly. That gravity also holds the moon in orbit yet even though it's powerful enough for the sun's gravity to hold humongous planets billions of miles away in it's orbit it doesn't steal our moon or suck the smaller, closer planets into it? Gravity sure is selective! Perhaps intelligent?

If the Earth is spherical, do pilots constantly have to correct downward so they don't fly out into space?
If the Earth is flat and configured like the UN logo do pilots have to constantly correct for North so as not to go South when going in a straight line?

Why are the oceans and large water masses perfectly level across the surface instead of curved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events