Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:28 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times

Advertisements

This is not a political post. A thread on the politics forum got closed because it turned political. (An conspiracy-laden.) But it is a current event. Here's a link to CNN --

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/31/polit...est/index.html

Congressman Jason Lewis on Minnesota is being checked out for a concussion. At one time, he was a talk show host on WBT out of Charlotte, NC a few miles up the road from where I am now.

Apparently, the truck driver was killed and another person in the truck injured. Very sad. I'm sorry for the loss of live, but am glad there was not more injuries or fatalities.

The crossing was protected by a crossbuck sign over red flashing lights according to a picture of the accident. A politician on board -- can't remember whom -- said there was also crossing arms which were likely in the debris at the crash site.

Aside from the passengers on board, this is not uncommon at all. Trucks often get hit at railroad crossings. Search YouTube for some actual footage. An investigation will be done, of course. Some train locomotives have cameras on board. Some of these cameras also face inward to show the crew. Not sure if Amtrak locomotives have cameras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 01:44 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Aside from the passengers on board, this is not uncommon at all. Trucks often get hit at railroad crossings. Search YouTube for some actual footage. An investigation will be done, of course. Some train locomotives have cameras on board. Some of these cameras also face inward to show the crew. Not sure if Amtrak locomotives have cameras.
This is what I was telling a friend who was trying to claim that it was no coincidence, given who was on board. Trains hit trucks, cars, and pedestrians more often than people realize. We only hear about it if it's local (affecting traffic), if it derails, or if a bunch of congressmen are on board.

I was on a train from NC to DC that hit a truck. To be honest, we never would have known if they hadn't told us. We slowed down suddenly (causing some people who were standing or walking to stumble), but we didn't feel any sort of impact. We were delayed for a few hours, but then the trip continued.

Now if it were a truck containing explosives, then I might be suspicious.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:51 PM

I admit that I like trains and take photographs of them. As such I belong to Facebook groups that keep track of trains as best we can. When I lived in Columbia, the Silver Star was very often delayed because it hit either a car or a truck or a person. It's rarely the railroad's fault. I doubt if it were terrorism that the preferred method of trying to derail the train would be a trash truck of all things.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:11 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,371,285 times
With sincere sympathy to anyone injured its just too good to pass up saying the republicans were derailed by garbage.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:31 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
My uncle used to be a train engineer. I've been told he was in at least two incidents where his train hit a vehicle on the tracks. Nothing he could do if someone was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Trains take a while to stop.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:40 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
what a train wreck

Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
When I lived in the DC area, the VRE seemed to always have an incident involving hitting someone, and who knows how many near misses. Here in Miami, the new Brightline train has killed four people just during testing, and numerous close calls.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Here in Miami, the new Brightline train has killed four people just during testing, and numerous close calls.
I've heard of those deaths but have not been paying enough attention to comment on them other than to say it is fairly easy not to get hit by a train. Just stay off the tracks. A few miles up the road from me, they are testing trains on the light rail expansion in Charlotte. So far, luckily, they seem to be doing fine. No accidents that I am aware of.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
I wish truck drivers would learn to stop when the lights are flashing, they really shold know better. Sure, that driver was killed, but there are many more willing to give thir lives. Come on, Quit running railroad crossings.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:23 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
I think they need to expand the requirement that buses and hazmat trucks stop at railroad crossings, to all large vehicles. If somebody wants to drive their car in front of a train, it's not really a big deal to anyone other than the occupants of the car. But these types of large vehicles can cause a lot of damage to trains. Even derailments that could result in a mass amount of injuries and deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events