Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times

Advertisements

Found this tonight:

How the reportedly abused Turpin children are pursuing 'normal' lives - Business Insider

There is a little new info about the older siblings.

Lets keep any responses on subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Found this tonight:

How the reportedly abused Turpin children are pursuing 'normal' lives - Business Insider

There is a little new info about the older siblings.

Lets keep any responses on subject.
It's amazing that the are still in the hospital after all this time. That means either their health still hasn't recovered, or the state just doesn't have any other place to put them. The $500,000 that has been raised is not going to cover their medical expenses, let along any education. At California hospital prices, a 45 day stay for six people, would have already eaten up most of that $500,000.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:11 AM

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/us/tu...apy/index.html

I saw this this morning. The kids are learning to play guitars.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's amazing that the are still in the hospital after all this time. That means either their health still hasn't recovered, or the state just doesn't have any other place to put them. The $500,000 that has been raised is not going to cover their medical expenses, let along any education. At California hospital prices, a 45 day stay for six people, would have already eaten up most of that $500,000.
I suspect they are being sheltered, fed, and educated. These people could not be turned loose in the wide world. They are not prepared for life as an adut. Also, I can't imagine that a lifetime of avuse and poor nutrition can be reversed in a few weeks. We know at first that they had to have intravenous feeding, so I imagine their bodies would not have been be able to handle a normal meal.

It sounds as if CA is doing a good job of caring for them, i hope the younger kids are in supportive, safe himes as well.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:28 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,357,367 times
Good to hear they’re making progress. I won’t be surprised if one of the children writes a book about their horrific childhood they have endured. Investigators found hundreds of notebooks in the home so we know that the children know how to write

Old 02-25-2018, 08:31 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
That's happy news. I hope their lives continue to improve.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:19 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
Quote:
I would think that a social worker has signed them up for Medicaid and a lawyer can set up a trust for the money raised to shield from the state. 500k divided by 13 isn't much. I think a lawyer might even advise the older children to decline their share so they don't have problems getting Medicaid and other social services. Taking their 35k probably isn't worth eliminating their eligibility for California services.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:33 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I would think that a social worker has signed them up for Medicaid and a lawyer can set up a trust for the money raised to shield from the state. 500k divided by 13 isn't much. I think a lawyer might even advise the older children to decline their share so they don't have problems getting Medicaid and other social services. Taking their 35k probably isn't worth eliminating their eligibility for California services.
I was just going by what the article said, that the money was going towards their medical expenses and education. I hope you are right. Because if the donations are going to their medical expenses, the money will be depleted very soon. Hospitals in California charge thousands of dollars a day. They have now been in the hospital for almost two months now.

Medicaid takes years to get. Medi-Cal could take care of them in the meantime, but that is pretty limited. My gut feeling is that they are still in the hospital, because the state can't find any place else to put them. It's pretty uncommon, even for people with very serious medical issues to be kept in the hospital for months. Normally patients are transferred to a skilled care facility, with in a few weeks.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:27 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
At least for the kids who are minors, I doubt they will even receive a medical bill.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:25 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
Quote:
I was just going by what the article said, that the money was going towards their medical expenses and education. I hope you are right. Because if the donations are going to their medical expenses, the money will be depleted very soon. Hospitals in California charge thousands of dollars a day. They have now been in the hospital for almost two months now.

Medicaid takes years to get. Medi-Cal could take care of them in the meantime, but that is pretty limited. My gut feeling is that they are still in the hospital, because the state can't find any place else to put them. It's pretty uncommon, even for people with very serious medical issues to be kept in the hospital for months. Normally patients are transferred to a skilled care facility, with in a few weeks.
Medi-cal is Medicaid and Medicaid isn't a limited insurance. It's Cadillac insurance. I was on it for 9 months and I had heard the stereotype of it being less than..., it's not. It's the best insurance I've ever had. I work for the gvt now and have great insurance but it's no Medicaid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events