Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:42 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
But how did she take and send Youtube videos without knowing what they were and that she didn't know that she could contact authorities? I wouldn't want to question her knowledge of how the Internet worked as I cannot possibly know. But it's a mystery nonetheless. I'm 67 and some of the internet is a mystery to me as well.

I only wish them all the best recovery and happiness.
Some of the apparent dynamics of this situation remind me very much of Jaycee Dugard's ordeal. She was eventually allowed out of her captivity at times, and her "leash" was lengthened considerably at times, just as were the Turpins' "leashes" on their trips to Disneyland and Las Vegas. But Jaycee's psychological "leash" was firm and held her fast. Fear of the unknown, consistently being told that no one cared, that leaving would put her in terrible danger, that she was not capable of looking after herself, that only her captors could take care of her properly - I am next to certain the Turpin siblings were told many of the same things.

Tying and/or chaining the children to the beds indicates more than punishment - it indicates that someone had he courage to make a break for it, probably several times over the years, so that chaining them became a regular response. For any one of these children to have had the courage - both physical and psychological courage - to try to escape indicates great strength of character and determination, qualities that will serve them well now that they are freed.

Jaycee's family of origin was loving, caring and kind - yet she doubted that anyone still cared, after years of brainwashing by her captors. The Turpin parents are anything but loving, caring, and kind - yet at least some of their children believed they deserved better, and did what they could to achieve it, despite the torture, neglect, and massive brainwashing they had to have been subjected to. I hope their future lives will be as successful as is Jaycee's now, and am optimistic for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 11:10 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm so confused. They didn't know what police officers or medication was, but were familiar enough with instagram and youtube to make videos and post on there? If there was access to internet, I don't understand why they didn't know about cops and medication.
OK, one of the kids, the 17 year old, knew enough about a cell phone to post to Instagram. We don't know how she knew how, but she was the one who had the daring to climb out a window and run away, and call 911 on an expired cell phone. She sounds like a remarkable young woman with a lot of nerve.

When officers arrived at the house, they found what they found and that two of the older kids were being unchained or still chained to their beds or some other thing.

The kids were found to be malnourished and ignorant of ordinary things. But one of the kids, the 17 year old, had gotten hold of a cell phone and used it. The lyrics to the song she wrote and sang talk about abuse.

I imagine if she was using the internet, she was doing so secretly.

It will be interesting to hear how she obtained the phone, and how she learned to use it.

Our info will be coming out in dribs and drabs until the trial of their parents. If the parents plead guilty, it might be that we will never know everything.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
OK, one of the kids, the 17 year old, knew enough about a cell phone to post to Instagram. We don't know how she knew how, but she was the one who had the daring to climb out a window and run away, and call 911 on an expired cell phone. She sounds like a remarkable young woman with a lot of nerve.

When officers arrived at the house, they found what they found and that two of the older kids were being unchained or still chained to their beds or some other thing.

The kids were found to be malnourished and ignorant of ordinary things. But one of the kids, the 17 year old, had gotten hold of a cell phone and used it. The lyrics to the song she wrote and sang talk about abuse.

I imagine if she was using the internet, she was doing so secretly.

It will be interesting to hear how she obtained the phone, and how she learned to use it.

Our info will be coming out in dribs and drabs until the trial of their parents. If the parents plead guilty, it might be that we will never know everything.
I can understand that she might fear contacting the police before she was away from the house. If she had called 911 while in the house the cops would have come out and the parent's would have said everything's fine, brought the girl out to confirm that and she would have agreed that it was a mistake and the cops would have left, she would have probably been punished or killed and she wouldn't have the phone anymore. It was brilliant that she thought that through and waited until she could escape to call the Police.

It says here that after she ran away she called the police with a deactivated cell phone she found in the house, probably the same one she was using while she was in the house. If the parents had a wifi connection she could have used that to post on the internet without an active cell connection, if her parents didn't then she might have been able to connect to a neighbor's wifi account if it didn't require a password.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I can understand that she might fear contacting the police before she was away from the house. If she had called 911 while in the house the cops would have come out and the parent's would have said everything's fine, brought the girl out to confirm that and she would have agreed that it was a mistake and the cops would have left, she would have probably been punished or killed and she wouldn't have the phone anymore. It was brilliant that she thought that through and waited until she could escape to call the Police.

It says here that after she ran away she called the police with a deactivated cell phone she found in the house, probably the same one she was using while she was in the house. If the parents had a wifi connection she could have used that to post on the internet without an active cell connection, if her parents didn't then she might have been able to connect to a neighbor's wifi account if it didn't require a password.
One of the earlier reports said that the girl had planned to escape for two years.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:03 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Why? Why do these things happen? You can't condone it, but you can understand if some immature parent shakes a baby that won't stop crying, which leads to tragedy. But these people even bought desert foods and tortured the hungry children by leaving them chained and not allowed to have any. WHY??? Have they even offered some sort of hare-brained explanation? Every time I see a picture of the mother, I want to knock her teeth out.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:00 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,989 times
There is something funny going on here. While I believe the whole thing is strange, I don't believe the story is "as is". I think there is a lot more going on, than we have been told by the media.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:49 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
There is something funny going on here. While I believe the whole thing is strange, I don't believe the story is "as is". I think there is a lot more going on, than we have been told by the media.
It's probably a lot darker than we have been told. I don't want to know much more. Know what I mean?

Old 03-17-2018, 08:23 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Quote:
The children kept extensive journals, which will be of great value in bringing David and Louise Turpin to justice. Very odd that the "parents" allowed this - but thank goodness they did.

My guess is that we'll learn that any critical entries had to be heavily disguised and/or written in a sort of code. "Raining today" might indicate tears, "thunderstorms" a parental explosion, and so on.

We'll know soon enough.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Media report what is being told. If you read multiple news accounts you can see that the stories are virtually the same, with a very few additional details. So, you can pick up small details by reading, say, three different sources for the same story. But the story is the same in each case.

There is no reason for news sources to not reveal something they find out. News about the Turpins sells; there is high interest in it.

The reason information is sparse is because CA is protecting the Turpin siblings. I actually think the state is pretty enlightened about this.

When the parents go to trial, we’ll know more, unless they plead no contest or guilty.

I imagine someone, even now, is writing a book as well.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The children kept extensive journals, which will be of great value in bringing David and Louise Turpin to justice. Very odd that the "parents" allowed this - but thank goodness they did.

My guess is that we'll learn that any critical entries had to be heavily disguised and/or written in a sort of code. "Raining today" might indicate tears, "thunderstorms" a parental explosion, and so on.

We'll know soon enough.
I, too, am interested to hear more about the contents of their journals. And I wonder if they are still keeping writing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events