Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 08:03 AM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times

Advertisements

I agree that there were plenty of clues early on about the Turpin family, enough that they should have been investigated. I just unfortunately feel that legislation aimed at all homeschoolers is not going to do much to prevent these very rare cases of abuse.

If you require all homeschooling families to check in at the public school, many people will just stop declaring that they are homeschooling. And if all babies born in the US are required to go to the doctor regularly, a few people will not register the birth. Crazy, but some people do think that way, and especially some homeschoolers, who may be very loving and not abusive at all, but are very independent and get bent out of shape if they think their rights and privacy are being violated.

Most people would comply, but then all you're doing is putting more onerous restrictions on those who are not the problem.

My opinion--the Turpins should have been investigated long ago, and I think in most similar cases there is at least someone who notices that something is wrong or off about the kids or the parents (like this more recent case with the car crash in California.) But leaping to pass legislation that would put a huge burden on families and the taxpayers (annual home fire inspections for thousands upon thousands of families? Who's paying for that?) without likely doing anything to catch actual cases of abuse seems like a poor idea.

Last edited by saibot; 03-30-2018 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 11:37 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree that there were plenty of clues early on about the Turpin family, enough that they should have been investigated. I just unfortunately feel that legislation aimed at all homeschoolers is not going to do much to prevent these very rare cases of abuse.

If you require all homeschooling families to check in at the public school, many people will just stop declaring that they are homeschooling. And if all babies born in the US are required to go to the doctor regularly, a few people will not register the birth. Crazy, but some people do think that way, and especially some homeschoolers, who may be very loving and not abusive at all, but are very independent and get bent out of shape if they think their rights and privacy are being violated.

Most people would comply, but then all you're doing is putting more onerous restrictions on those who are not the problem.

My opinion--the Turpins should have been investigated long ago, and I think in most similar cases there is at least someone who notices that something is wrong or off about the kids or the parents (like this more recent case with the car crash in California.) But leaping to pass legislation that would put a huge burden on families and the taxpayers (annual home fire inspections for thousands upon thousands of families? Who's paying for that?) without likely doing anything to catch actual cases of abuse seems like a poor idea.
I agree with you that people who should have reported neglect, did not. Teachers are now mandated reporters in most states. But I don't know if the Texas teachers were doing that when the older kid attended school. And there are known abuses of the homeschooling system that do not involve abuse by parents. I feel that some regulation of homeschooling should be followed. I do not think that overburdened schools should be forced to be involved.

The Turpin’s case is extreme. How many other families are neglectful but not directly abusive? When does our responsibility to report a family kick in? Already we have people reporting moms because they have spanked their kids. Or for breastfeeding. When you see a mom belittling her kid in public, or verbally lashing out, do you feel you should report her? If you see a family at the grocers wearing shabby clothes and looking savagely poor, do you assume neglect?

What is our society’s duty in these cases? What is our individual duty? What is the line that would have to be crossed for you or me to take some sort of action. And what would that action be?

Old 03-30-2018, 05:32 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The Turpin’s case is extreme. How many other families are neglectful but not directly abusive? When does our responsibility to report a family kick in? Already we have people reporting moms because they have spanked their kids. Or for breastfeeding. When you see a mom belittling her kid in public, or verbally lashing out, do you feel you should report her? If you see a family at the grocers wearing shabby clothes and looking savagely poor, do you assume neglect?

What is our society’s duty in these cases? What is our individual duty? What is the line that would have to be crossed for you or me to take some sort of action. And what would that action be?
Those are all good questions without easy clear-cut answers. Most people would say that everything you mentioned is not a severe enough threat to life or health to warrant a visit from the authorities. Being poor or shabby is not a crime. Light spanking is not a crime in this country, though some people think it should be. Breastfeeding, really? And in particular, I'm pretty sure that almost every parent has had some not-so-proud moment when they said something overly harsh to a child, at least at home if not out in public. Very conscientious homeschooling parents have been visited by CPS because someone reported that their child was often outside playing when they "ought" to be in school. That kind of thing.

I suppose that when people notice something "off" enough that it really needs to be reported to the authorities, it would be more often a pattern, like that child who kept going to the neighbors asking for food, or perhaps a child who is constantly covered in bruises (although bruises can also be due to a medical condition, and absolutely innocent parents have been put through the wringer because their child has bruises that someone assumed were caused by abuse).

Old 03-30-2018, 09:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Those are all good questions without easy clear-cut answers. Most people would say that everything you mentioned is not a severe enough threat to life or health to warrant a visit from the authorities. Being poor or shabby is not a crime. Light spanking is not a crime in this country, though some people think it should be. Breastfeeding, really? And in particular, I'm pretty sure that almost every parent has had some not-so-proud moment when they said something overly harsh to a child, at least at home if not out in public. Very conscientious homeschooling parents have been visited by CPS because someone reported that their child was often outside playing when they "ought" to be in school. That kind of thing.

I suppose that when people notice something "off" enough that it really needs to be reported to the authorities, it would be more often a pattern, like that child who kept going to the neighbors asking for food, or perhaps a child who is constantly covered in bruises (although bruises can also be due to a medical condition, and absolutely innocent parents have been put through the wringer because their child has bruises that someone assumed were caused by abuse).
I agree with all of this.

There is so much disapproval of parents now. My instinct is to mind my own business. But I’ve never had a kid cone to my door begging for food, or alleging abuse.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:19 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Here is another story.

The sister of the House of Horrors mother-of-13 claims their mother let a rich pedophile rape them for cash when they were children.

Read more: Sister of House of Horrors mother claims their own mom let a 'rich paedophile abuse them | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Old 05-09-2018, 09:59 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree with all of this.

There is so much disapproval of parents now. My instinct is to mind my own business. But I’ve never had a kid cone to my door begging for food, or alleging abuse.
I think it's easy to judge parents without knowing all the facts. Most parents do the best they can. Some do not even try.

I have had kids come to my house asking for food, every day. We called the dad and asked what was going on. He worked after school until 6 pm so the kids roamed the neighborhood looking for their after school meal/snack. It's not an ideal situation but I'm not sure if it would be classified as neglect or abuse. The kids are 7 and 8 years old. I believe other people have reported them to CPS.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:57 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,923 times
I believe many dropped the ball here with the family and the children. Neighbors stated certain things to news reporters and I had to scratch my head if they had gut feelings why didn't they make some calls? People are so afraid of getting involved. How about better to be safe then sorry?

I don't care about who is getting what or how it is being paid. The kids will need years of help. Abuse never goes away once you are out of the situation. The scars are enormous. I'm just happy the one Turpin sibling escaped and got help. That is the true blessing.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Here is another story.

The sister of the House of Horrors mother-of-13 claims their mother let a rich pedophile rape them for cash when they were children.

Read more: Sister of House of Horrors mother claims their own mom let a 'rich paedophile abuse them | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Therese, the half brother, and any other family member going to the media can go to He** as far as I'm concerned. They are Profiting off of the story. Half brother has rocks for brains and is saying he'd like to take 2 or 3 of the children in, figures he can afford that. They are after the GO FUND ME ACCOUNT and other accounts raised for these kids. These people are disgusting. Poor kids.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:54 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Therese, the half brother, and any other family member going to the media can go to He** as far as I'm concerned. They are Profiting off of the story. Half brother has rocks for brains and is saying he'd like to take 2 or 3 of the children in, figures he can afford that. They are after the GO FUND ME ACCOUNT and other accounts raised for these kids. These people are disgusting. Poor kids.
Agreed. Isn't this the sister who's promoting her book?

Gah, the Daily Mail will publish anything.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:26 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Agreed. Isn't this the sister who's promoting her book?

Gah, the Daily Mail will publish anything.
I think it's Elizabeth who is promoting a book. I used to think she might be the more "normal" one, not anymore. I think they're all crazy and after the huge amount of money raised for these poor kids. Trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events