Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. end the practice of Daylight Saving Time?
Yes 256 69.95%
No 110 30.05%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 01:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

The reality is time zones are fake. We live outside of reality with time zones. The only thing that they do is keep us all on the same track. It is a convenience that we seem unable to live without. I get it as I am not willing to live without it either.

12 noon happens when the sun is exactly overhear or (In the Northern Hemisphere, somewhere south of directly overhead.

Day light savings changes nothing about the day or how much sun you have in the sky. Day light savings is like taking a rope, cutting off the end and sewing it to the other end of the rope and then saying you have more rope because of it.

I don't see any benefit to changing the time. In the summer we have more day light, in the winter we have less. Changing the clock changes nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 01:16 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I vote for leaving us on DST year round and eliminating standard time.
Staying with the affects of the time change would be very pronounced in the morning during winter. It would be very dark (and colder) for kids walking to school, waiting for the bus, etc. That's why it can't continued past November; it would create new problems.

People just have a weird adverseness to DST. They don't try to see its benefits, and don't try to understand the timing behind it.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:36 PM

807 posts, read 1,032,619 times
Get rid of it!

Old 03-02-2018, 02:08 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
I live in Hawaii, so am glad that I don't have to deal with the changing of the clocks every year.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:20 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Staying with the affects of the time change would be very pronounced in the morning during winter. It would be very dark (and colder) for kids walking to school, waiting for the bus, etc. That's why it can't continued past November; it would create new problems.
This response just points out that one's viewpoint on this subject is likely influenced both by your latitude and where you live in relation to your time zone borders. Here in northern N.E., even with going back to standard time, it's still dark in the morning for kids, and it gets dark again as soon as they're home. It's cold all day in the winter anyway. We might as well stay on DST, have dark in the morning, and gain a little daylight in the late afternoon so we're not living like moles.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:21 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I live in Hawaii, so am glad that I don't have to deal with the changing of the clocks every year.
your lucky, it's really hard

Old 03-02-2018, 02:31 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
I don't care about research but from empirical observation, I know one thing as a fact:
- you drive to work and from work in the dark, winter time
- traffic is CLEARLY heavier.
- as you are stuck in traffic, you consume more petrol and spend more money on it
- as you are stuck in stop'n'go traffic, your vehicle wears out faster, so you spend more on repairs
- all of the above is good for the big oil, of course and car makers. Add to this total American stupidity called winter gas, unknown anywhere else in the world.
- personally, I have much less useful time left after hours winter time, than I do summer time. Summer time I go to bed after 10, winter time I am asleep after 8.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:11 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
???? Uh, did you even read the OP?

We already have time differences by state. They're called TIME ZONES.
.. and in FL, it varies WITHIN the state!

This conversation is about setting clocks back and forth twice a year, in the same place.
So, what do we need time zones for, at least within the US? Establishing time zones was an artificial, arbitrary mechanism anyway. Why don't we use the same clock setting across the entire continent? Life would be simpler for those who communicate with others in other areas of the country without needing to be concerned if their clocks were reading the same as yours. "I'll call you at ten o'clock" would be totally unambiguous. Event and entertainment schedules would be simplified but the biggest convenience would be for those who needed to travel frequently between the time zones as they exist today.

North American Standard time for me!

Old 03-02-2018, 04:21 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
So, what do we need time zones for, at least within the US? Establishing time zones was an artificial, arbitrary mechanism anyway. Why don't we use the same clock setting across the entire continent?
I don't think you understand the concept of time zones very well. They aren't as arbitrary as you think. The sun gradually travels (yes, I KNOW it's the Earth that's turning, but let's take an Earth-centric point of view for a moment) from east to west.

When the sun rises on the East Coast, it's still hours before daybreak on the West Coast. With a single time zone over this huge area, sunrise might be at 6am in New York and 10am in California. Breaking the continent into time zones acknowledges that people, generally, expect to get up right around sunrise, end work around sunset (or before, in the summer), and consider "noon" to be when the sun is directly overhead. How could you make a single time zone meet everyone's needs?

Old 03-02-2018, 04:28 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
I curse Bush every time the time is switched in March.
OK, I understand you have to do it, but couldn't you do it couple of weeks later?
Yes I send my bad wishes for him every year for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events