Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Obviously the teacher-student sex is not appropriate, but before we canonize the "poor widdle victim", it was HE who first proposed that they have sex. Just sayin'.

From the story -

"Earlier in his testimony, the boy said he and Langford connected on Snapchat. When the teacher asked him why he reached out to her on the app, he said he replied that he wanted to have sex."
He's 14. At that age, his emotional maturity and reasoning abilities are just starting to develop. That's why it's up to the ADULT to guide him towards what's right and what's wrong.

That's like saying "well, my 3-year old proposed that we eat cake every meal so I guess we're going to have to do that".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I am surprised to find myself agreeing with you. Ruining teacher's life over a consensual sexual relationship is just stupid and immoral. Despite what some ridiculous law says. Any idea if she was actually his teacher? I think this should not be a criminal case...

Also, for some reason conservative states are happy to spend all this taxpayer money for prisons. Wouldn't it be better to invest this money in education or infrastructure?

I am sure most will disagree but in this case, I do think that male and female teachers should be treated somewhat differently by law. An older female having consensual sex with a willing guy who happens to be a few years under some arbitrary age? That is a dream come true for the guy and I don't see this as matter of the criminal law. But an older guy having consensual sex with an underage girl... I don't know it feels wrong to me somehow and I think the loss of virginity for a woman is a much more traumatic event than for a guy. Again, this is just my personal opinion...
It's not consensual. He isn't mature enough to understand what he is asking to have sex, and she holds a position of power over him. And a 14 year old versus an 18 year old is hardly "a few years younger" in maturity and reasoning skills.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It's not consensual. He isn't mature enough to understand what he is asking to have sex, and she holds a position of power over him. And a 14 year old versus an 18 year old is hardly "a few years younger" in maturity and reasoning skills.
Huh? At 14, he has likely had sex a few times already.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
He may have. But he still lacks the maturity to understand that asking his older teacher to have sex is wrong.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:00 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
I am surprised to find myself agreeing with you. Ruining teacher's life over a consensual sexual relationship is just stupid and immoral. Despite what some ridiculous law says. Any idea if she was actually his teacher? I think this should not be a criminal case...

Also, for some reason conservative states are happy to spend all this taxpayer money for prisons. Wouldn't it be better to invest this money in education or infrastructure?

I am sure most will disagree but in this case, I do think that male and female teachers should be treated somewhat differently by law. An older female having consensual sex with a willing guy who happens to be a few years under some arbitrary age? That is a dream come true for the guy and I don't see this as matter of the criminal law. But an older guy having consensual sex with an underage girl... I don't know it feels wrong to me somehow and I think the loss of virginity for a woman is a much more traumatic event than for a guy. Again, this is just my personal opinion...
Conservatives aren't all under the same category. "Fiscal conservatives" would probably agree with you. Some of the conservatives do not appear to be interested in serving the public, especially those who voted them in. Instead, they seem to want to ensure corporations get their cutbacks, and private systems earn more money from incarcerating more people, and keeping them there (there's little incentive to reform).

Old 04-19-2018, 07:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Nobody can assume that.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
If we allow all teachers to have sex with students, our schools will become a cesspool. That's why it's a crime in my state for a teacher to have sex with a high school student even if he's 18. And it should be a crime.

And nobody ruined this teacher's life, except for herself, when she made the decision to have sex with a student.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:15 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,976 times
I don't know if we need to ruin people's lives over this.

Me need to make the penalties harsh enough to dissuade reasonable people from doing it. Unreasonable people, by definition, can't be swayed by reasonable means.

People convicted of this crime should, obviously, be barred from working in schools. Also evaluated to see if they are more or less likely to further engage in this activity and, then, dealt with accordingly.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Shine State View Post
A fifteen year old middle school student? Most eighth graders are 13. Sad how these creepy teachers always target the mentally handicapped students. Predators are gross. Notice how its never the smart kids that have sex with their adult teachers. Its always the learning disabled ones.
Kids don't "have sex" with their teachers. They are molested. And no, it's not always those with learning disabilities.

And yes, a 15 year old can be in middle school. Lots of 8th graders are 14 so it's not a stretch for a 15 year old to still be in middle school.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:35 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If we allow all teachers to have sex with students, our schools will become a cesspool. That's why it's a crime in my state for a teacher to have sex with a high school student even if he's 18. And it should be a crime.

I am not saying that teachers should be allowed to have sex with their students in school. But if the school teacher wants to have consensual sex/relationship outside of school, with a student who is not currently in their classroom, then I don't see an issue.

I see this as an administrative matter, not a criminal one. We don't need more people in prison over their personal choices that the state does not approve for some reason. I hope you are enjoying paying for your state's prison. Don't you think that your hard earned tax money would be better spend on education/infrastructure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
And nobody ruined this teacher's life, except for herself, when she made the decision to have sex with a student.
The teacher made a mistake. But the affair was consensual, she did not do anything against anyone's will. She deserves to be fired and perhaps forced to retrained for a new job. She does not deserve to spend 10 years in prison after which she will have possibility of decent employment. The state has ruined her life over a moral judgment that happened not to agree with what the state approves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events