Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 12:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Asking for at least $5 million ??

According to a class-action lawsuit filed in Fort Lauderdale federal court on May 8, Cynthia Kissner, of Broward County, and Leonard Werner, of Miami-Dade, say they have had to pay for cheese they don't want on their Quarter Pounder sandwiches.

The suit asks for at least $5 million

Read more here: Florida lawsuit alleges McDonald's forces customers to pay for cheese | Miami Herald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 01:36 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
She held her coffee cup between her legs. In a moving car.

And because of that, I can't enjoy piping hot coffee anymore. Not to mention every takeout container now carries a warning label: "Caution! The beverage you are about to enjoy is hot!!!"
The car wasn't moving. She took the lid off to put in the cream and sugar, and the Styrofoam cup collapsed, spilling the coffee in her lap, resulting in 3rd degree burns within seconds.

The coffee was not a safe temperature to drink. It was nearing the boiling ppint, and could cause serious damage to a person's mouth and throat. McDonalds kept their coffee at a dangerous temperature because they expected their customers to wait until they got home or to the office before drinking the coffee. The coffee was about 50* hotter then any other restaurant or any home brewed coffee.

Their coffee already came with a reminder printed on the cups about the coffew being hot, but most people were not aware that McDonalds served coffee hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns within seconds.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:18 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
McD doesn't identify the quarter pounder as a hamburger nor a cheeseburger -- only as a sandwich. What they used to put in them is not relevant. Now they put cheese (and whatever else they want) in them, call them quarter pounders, and they charge the price shown on the menu. Everything legal.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:20 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Can I get a refund on the straw I did not use in my drink?
I'm not saying the lawsuit isn't frivolous, but you guys are conflating free stuff, or stuff that already comes with the product, with paid items. I can walk into a McDonalds, grab a few straws, and be on my merry way. I can't grab a few slices of cheese without risk getting the cops called on.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:53 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The car wasn't moving. She took the lid off to put in the cream and sugar, and the Styrofoam cup collapsed, spilling the coffee in her lap, resulting in 3rd degree burns within seconds.

The coffee was not a safe temperature to drink. It was nearing the boiling ppint, and could cause serious damage to a person's mouth and throat. McDonalds kept their coffee at a dangerous temperature because they expected their customers to wait until they got home or to the office before drinking the coffee. The coffee was about 50* hotter then any other restaurant or any home brewed coffee.

Their coffee already came with a reminder printed on the cups about the coffew being hot, but most people were not aware that McDonalds served coffee hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns within seconds.
Ah, so her clumsiness had nothing to do with being in a moving vehicle.

When you are served hot coffee, you would have to be crazy to put it in your lap, or pour it on your hand, or drink it quickly. You take small sips, allowing the liquid to cool off as it reaches your lips. Creamers also cool it off a bit. This is Common Sense 101.

To be honest, were I an executive at Micky D's and this happened to a customer, I'd have said, go ahead and give her $50,000 to cover medical and other expenses. (In fact she ended up getting thirty-something, as I recall -- not sure how much of that went to the attorneys). It's damage control and might have saved them some bad PR and lost sales later on.

But this lawsuit -- a cool five million for... $0.20 worth of cheese??? Nope. These guys get NOTHING. I hope these yackos lose, get counter-sued for legal expenses, and their lawyer put out of business.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:28 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
While it is a frivolous lawsuit I get the point to a certain extent. If you want extra cheese on your burger, McDonalds charges you an extra 25 cents for one piece of cheese so if you don't want cheese they should remove the 25 cents but hey, they found a creative way to make a little more money haven't they?

Old 05-31-2018, 08:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
She held her coffee cup between her legs. In a moving car.

And because of that, I can't enjoy piping hot coffee anymore. Not to mention every takeout container now carries a warning label: "Caution! The beverage you are about to enjoy is hot!!!"
no reason to hang your hat of injustice on such a blatant example of corporate negligence...find something else.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:24 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
This is funnier than a clown on fire.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:34 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
McD doesn't identify the quarter pounder as a hamburger nor a cheeseburger -- only as a sandwich. What they used to put in them is not relevant. Now they put cheese (and whatever else they want) in them, call them quarter pounders, and they charge the price shown on the menu. Everything legal.
Right.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:36 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
While it is a frivolous lawsuit I get the point to a certain extent. If you want extra cheese on your burger, McDonalds charges you an extra 25 cents for one piece of cheese so if you don't want cheese they should remove the 25 cents but hey, they found a creative way to make a little more money haven't they?
It's completely frivolous because the customer agreed to pay the 25 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events