Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:02 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,450,481 times

Advertisements

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securit...-1-200-n855366

Scary stuff--I've known 4 people now..who've lost money this way....one guy lost $70,000 from his bank.

Read and learn--short quote...long article:

"Passwords for individual online banking accounts sell on the dark web for an average of $160.15.
If that seems pricey, there's plenty of other personal information available for much less.
Getting in the front door of a person's Airbnb account will cost hackers about $7.87. Uber credentials are a bargain at $7. And if cybercriminals get hungry, they can get a GrubHub food delivery login for about $9.16."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,302,100 times
That's why I NEVER do anything other than peruse information.... and go on this forum online.
I can't imagine doing any banking online.
People are too trusting if they believe their personal info is secure....there's always some way to hack it.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:40 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,644,964 times
If you do things on line from your own home's password protected modem and accounts, it's not so bad. The worst hacks have been direct attacks on banks, data storage centers, etc. and in those cases, you could be ithout a computer and still have a problem. If you go to internet cafes and log onto publicly accessed wi-if networks, that's asking for trouble. However, the good news is, if you set things up right, you can tightly and quickly monitor all activity on your accounts.

I do almost all of my stuff on line but I have rotating passwords and at least two factor authentication. I have one credit card only and any time it has a charge placed on it, I get an immediate notification by e-mail of its use. Any on line orders or out of country orders, it texts an authentication code to me phone that I have to enter to complete the transaction. I went through 3 credit cards in 4 months where it kept alerting me someone was using it. I'm pretty sure it was a waitress that worked at a little restaurant we like because it happened 3 times and that was the only place we visited three times during that time period. She doesn't work there any more and we've had no trouble since.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:40 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,450,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
That's why I NEVER do anything other than peruse information.... and go on this forum online.
People are too trusting if they believe their personal info is secure....there's always some way to hack it.
FYI..your going on-line or not makes no difference to most hackers...they hack the financial institution..not your computer. You use a credit card on-line..could be bad. You use a credit card in a restaurant that has an online presence..could still be bad.

A person could be totally without any online presence and still get screwed. Although the odds are greatly lessened.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:26 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,922,004 times
Fraud/Identity Theft from online banking and EFT is somewhat covered and insured by the government or banks under the Electronic Funds Transfer Act. You must report it timely however.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:04 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,006,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Hate to break it to you, but your identity is already online no matter what you do.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:15 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,152,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Hate to break it to you, but your identity is already online no matter what you do.
This is true. Unless one has lived off grid thier whole life, there is always some personal information out there. Hackers steal info from the databases. They can even swipe information from a laptop wifi in public places, like plazas and coffee shops.

You can reduce the risk of personal theft, like checking ATM machined for skimmers, not using public wi do and shredding documents for the old school thieves who trash dive. But one cannot eliminate the risk 100 percent.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,302,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The identity I choose to portray is...

Old 03-14-2018, 10:30 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,403,407 times
Change your passwords as often as possible, I do this and it helps.
Also don't use a dictionary word or person's nam as a password because it's too easy to hack. Use a combination of letters, symbols and numbers that don't form a dictionary word.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:07 PM

17,373 posts, read 22,129,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Change your passwords as often as possible, I do this and it helps.
Also don't use a dictionary word or person's nam as a password because it's too easy to hack. Use a combination of letters, symbols and numbers that don't form a dictionary word.
Using numbers for letters also

porsche

p0r5ch3

password

pa55w0rd

armadillo

a7mad1110
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events