Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 06:21 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,010,361 times

Advertisements

I'm still trying to understand the mother's logic here.

She says this:

Quote:
There was an open package of Chips Ahoy cookies, the top flap of the package was pulled back
Yet also this:

Quote:
[it has different colored packaging for chewy or not] but NO screaming warnings about such a fatal ingredient to many people
What exactly does she expect? Warnings on the inside of the packaging as well? A big edible "WARNING" on every cookie? From her description, I got the idea that the packaging pulls back and reseals like Oreo packaging. So you peel back the whole top, exposing all cookies and obviously hiding most of the label because it's open. It's either that or the package was opened in some other way that hid the Reese's logo on the exterior, based on how she describes it. So she admits the packaging was open yet still thinks there should be MORE "screaming" warnings than the big Reese's logo on the outside? I mean?

The package was OPEN yet she complains her daughter couldn't see the warning that WAS there. Well, the obvious answer before blaming the company is that her daughter should have looked because someone with severe allergies cannot just rely on color and not do her due diligence to ensure she doesn't die. I'm sorry, but that's what it comes down to. I'm sure her parents are devastated and maybe even also wondering why their daughter didn't take the extra seconds to check, but though it was an accident, this is her daughter's fault (and possibly theirs if they never taught her to be extra diligent).

I sense a lawsuit coming which is honestly just so frustrating to me. There is not always someone on the outside to blame, there is not always a fix or reasonable preventative measure that could have come from someone else and not the individual him or herself. There are genuine accidents or lapses in judgment. This seems to be one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 06:23 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
To a child it would look like a bottle of juice. It looked like that to me, I just happen to know what Fabuloso is.
Even if someone was foolish enough to mistake that bottle as juice, one whiff would instantly prove him wrong.

Oh, but what if he has no sense of smell, right? (Sarcasm here)

Old 07-19-2018, 06:37 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,748,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
We sometimes have a child visit our home who has a peanut allergy, but it makes me nervous. His mom also does not send an epi pen with him. I'm wondering if I should start insisting on that. I can't guarantee everything in our home doesn't have any cross-contamination with peanuts.
My girls also have friends with strong peanut allergies. We also have 2 cats and that cause problems for some friends as well. I always ask about allergies because I usually give a snack during playdates, as well as notify the parents about the cats.

Recently my 12yr old had a new friend over. As always I informed the parents we have cats. "Oh she's a little allergic, but not that bad", the parent says. RIGHT, till her daughters face started swelling an hour later! Had to giver her Benadryl ASAP and get her outside for fresh air. She ended up being fine right before I was going to call 911! I then informed the parents to come get her right away. My point is, as a host we can only do so much to make sure we have a safe environment. I did my part, the other parent was too relaxed about her daughters allergies IMHO. Face swelling is nothing to be relaxed about! As it relates to the article of the thread, there wasn't enough caution, but again the girl was 15. The parents might not even had been home and at that age she knew she had a severe allergy and knew she had to be cautious. Very sad!

Old 07-19-2018, 06:37 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Doubtful. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure there will be labeling on the package to warn people with allergies that the product was made in a plant that shares equipment that is also used to process products made with peanuts.
This was not an accidental ingestion of food that could have been expected to be peanut free. It was specifically made to contain peanut butter chips and cups and the package label indicated that. By the parents version, the 15 year old simply did not look at the package, she just assumed it was ok because it was red despite the fact that the color had nothing to do with whether or not it contained peanut butter

Old 07-19-2018, 06:52 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,021,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In looking more at the packaging, while the ultimate fault lies with the girl, I can totally see now where someone would make a mistake in grabbing a cookie from a package that they were familiar with from the past. Just one of those tragic things that happen in the blink of an eye, that has terrible consequences. Hopefully it will be a learning experience for others, which is why I now think it is good for the mother to warn others. There are many horrible things in life that have happened for the first time (like the kid who suffocated to death in the back seat of a Honda minivan), but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be safeguards in place in the future to prevent it from ever happening again. Yeah, I know, I get it, we can blame the mother/daughter here (like I did), but that doesn't mean nothing should be done.

Like this one, apparently a cleaning solution:
You are singing my song about that fabuloso stuff!! About 10 years ago, it first came to my attention at a Walmart. It was at an impulse aisle (those stand alone displays in the main walkways) between the cleaning products and where the food area begins. All different colors and flavors - grape, strawberry, lime, etc.

I couldn't believe it. I called the asst manager over and said this is a problem. This looks like a drink. And the Asst Mgr looked at me a little warily and said "well, it is a drink". Um, no it isn't. He was surprised too but not as shocked as I was. Next time I went there (in a couple days) the product had been moved into the cleaning liquids shelf. BUT STILL, the product itself once you get it home could easily be mistaken by a child for a sports drink.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:12 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,398,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You are singing my song about that fabuloso stuff!! About 10 years ago, it first came to my attention at a Walmart. It was at an impulse aisle (those stand alone displays in the main walkways) between the cleaning products and where the food area begins. All different colors and flavors - grape, strawberry, lime, etc.

I couldn't believe it. I called the asst manager over and said this is a problem. This looks like a drink. And the Asst Mgr looked at me a little warily and said "well, it is a drink". Um, no it isn't. He was surprised too but not as shocked as I was. Next time I went there (in a couple days) the product had been moved into the cleaning liquids shelf. BUT STILL, the product itself once you get it home could easily be mistaken by a child for a sports drink.
My six year old wouldn't hesitate to pour a cup of that for himself and his little sister if he found it in the kitchen. It's ridiculously close in appearance to the juice we buy.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:12 AM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
Some of you still don't seem to get the point.

Look, many of us are putting responsibility solely on the girl and her mother. That is not the issue I am discussing, let's get that straight. Are we clear?

Now, what I am saying is that incidents like these should spur some action to prevent future occurrences. If I was CEO of that company, I would be proactive in changing the color of packaging to act as another safeguard. It doesn't mean the company is admitting any liability, it's simply being responsible and proactive so it may not happen again.

There have been multiple cases of tragic incidents that spurred action. Like that boy who was killed by an alligator two years ago at a Disney resort. Predictably some here were blaming the kid and parents, but there were no signs at all on the property that warned of alligators. Well guess what, after the incident, Disney installed alligator and snake warning signs throughout the lake.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:18 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,994 times
Quote:

Look, many of us are putting responsibility solely on the girl and her mother. That is not the issue I am discussing, let's get that straight. Are we clear?

Now, what I am saying is that incidents like these should spur some action to prevent future occurrences. If I was CEO of that company, I would be proactive in changing the color of packaging to act as another safeguard. It doesn't mean the company is admitting any liability, it's simply being responsible and proactive so it may not happen again.

There have been multiple cases of tragic incidents that spurred action. Like that boy who was killed by an alligator two years ago at a Disney resort. Predictably some here were blaming the kid and parents, but there were no signs at all on the property that warned of alligators. Well guess what, after the incident, Disney installed alligator and snake warning signs throughout the lake.
Why don't we just put barbed wire around everything and bubble wrap kids hands?

Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,484,606 times
Quote:

You're the one not getting the point about personal responsibility being the paramount issue. Do you take responsibility for your life and health or do you leave that in the hands of strangers? If Chips Ahoy changed the package color to yellow, some fool will sue claiming the brightness of the package brought on a fit of seizures, when in reality they didn't think it necessary to take their seizure medication that morning. Give me a break.

Disney placed that sign ONLY to protect themselves from a future lawsuit should a dimwit wander stupidly into an area often inhabited by alligators and snakes. That death, however tragic, was not the fault of Disney.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 AM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm still trying to understand the mother's logic here.

She says this:

Yet also this:

What exactly does she expect? Warnings on the inside of the packaging as well? A big edible "WARNING" on every cookie? From her description, I got the idea that the packaging pulls back and reseals like Oreo packaging. So you peel back the whole top, exposing all cookies and obviously hiding most of the label because it's open. It's either that or the package was opened in some other way that hid the Reese's logo on the exterior, based on how she describes it. So she admits the packaging was open yet still thinks there should be MORE "screaming" warnings than the big Reese's logo on the outside? I mean?

The package was OPEN yet she complains her daughter couldn't see the warning that WAS there. Well, the obvious answer before blaming the company is that her daughter should have looked because someone with severe allergies cannot just rely on color and not do her due diligence to ensure she doesn't die. I'm sorry, but that's what it comes down to. I'm sure her parents are devastated and maybe even also wondering why their daughter didn't take the extra seconds to check, but though it was an accident, this is her daughter's fault (and possibly theirs if they never taught her to be extra diligent).

I sense a lawsuit coming which is honestly just so frustrating to me. There is not always someone on the outside to blame, there is not always a fix or reasonable preventative measure that could have come from someone else and not the individual him or herself. There are genuine accidents or lapses in judgment. This seems to be one of them.
She wants the bag to be a different color than the ones that don’t have peanut butter. Not an unreasonable suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events