Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 11:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times

Advertisements

It was a tragic accident and mistake on the teen's part. Sad story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 11:51 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Barring some mental disability, a 15 year old is not a "child". A tragic death nonetheless.

Legally, that's exactly what she is. And that's exactly the age when children decide that the rules don't apply to them and they are going to eat anything they like, go anywhere they want with anyone they like, and it's perfectly safe because they are now ADULTS and they are IN CONTROL OF THEIR LIVES and NOBODY'S THE BOSS OF THEM. That's exactly why car-insurance rates are so much higher for drivers that age. They act stupid.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:54 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is so sad. I'm curious about the original article, though. The mother said she recognized the red package and thought they were safe. I've never seen Chips A Hoy in a red package. It's always blue.
What am I missing? Do they have several varieties of cookies in red packages?

There was a girl here at University of Texas who died during her graduation ceremony several years ago. Awful awful story. Before graduation she went to a reception for grads, and ate carrot cake after asking the server if it contained nuts. She was told no.

And so during the ceremony she felt the affects of an allergic reaction, but it was too late by the time she sought help. Embarrassed, I guess. SO VERY SAD.

The lesson here, IMHO, is if you have a lethal allergy to nuts, don't eat commercially prepared carrot cake no matter what the staff says. Most carrot cakes contain nuts. How about for dessert you have ice cream with caramel sauce? Or if nothing else is available for dessert, just settle for the carrot sticks and cheese cubes at the reception.

SO SAD.
The soft chewy ones are red. The blue is the harder ones. I don't like the blue ones .. the red are however delicious.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
This is 100% the teen's fault. 15 is old enough to be able to read a label. I am also surprised that the parent of the friend or at least the friend wasn't aware of the allergy and didn't also flag it before offering it to her.

Companies are allowed to change their packaging and it is up to the consumer to read the labels properly before ingesting anything they are unsure of. It is foolish to think and/or assume a product will always have the same packaging year after year. You cannot rely on solely how the package looks - again READ the labels.

It seems to me the parents were the ones telling her what was safe in the past and what wasn't ... but @ 15 she is getting older and there will be scenarios where her parents will not be around and she has to read the labels and determine on her own.

It's a tragic story - but 100% preventable. Chips Ahoy labeled it clearly on the packaging that it contains Reeses. I don't how clearer they could have possibly gotten.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
We sometimes have a child visit our home who has a peanut allergy, but it makes me nervous. His mom also does not send an epi pen with him. I'm wondering if I should start insisting on that. I can't guarantee everything in our home doesn't have any cross-contamination with peanuts.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
While I don't think the family has a legal case,

Nabisco could update the packaging so when the "Peanuts/Reese's" show when the Tab is pulled back. So even when the Tab is back there would be something showing in the exposed part.
The packaging says peanut butter all over the front and sides, it has pictures of peanut butter cups all over the packaging, it says Reese's in multiple spots, the cookies smell strongly of peanut butter... There really isnt anything else they need to do. People with allergies need to takepersonal responsibility and know what they're eating before placing it in their mouth.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
We sometimes have a child visit our home who has a peanut allergy, but it makes me nervous. His mom also does not send an epi pen with him. I'm wondering if I should start insisting on that. I can't guarantee everything in our home doesn't have any cross-contamination with peanuts.
I would check with the mother and see what needs to happen if he accidentally eats any type of nut product. If his allergy is severe enough that he would need an epi pen, then yes, I would insist that he brings it with him.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm 58, and growing up in the 1960's and 70's I never knew anyone with a food allergy. Now it's peanuts, soy, gluten, etc.

I must say I missed the point of your comment. Does it mean there were no allergies? What exactly was your point with this comment?

I was born in 1953. So let us compare the world then and now.
Did we have access to news as we do today? No.

Did we have labeling stuff as we do today? No.

Our world then did not have news from all over the state, the country, and the world.

We were more isolated information wise. Is it reasonable that we did not hear of problems like this one because we did not have a cell phone where everybody post all kinds of problems?

In those days the news from other parts of the world were mostly on national issues like wars, economy, etc. but not about someone that dies eating peanuts.

You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 07-18-2018, 02:06 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I must say I missed the point of your comment. Does it mean there were no allergies? What exactly was your point with this comment?

I was born in 1953. So let us compare the world then and now.
Did we have access to news as we do today? No.

Did we have labeling stuff as we do today? No.

Our world then did not have news from all over the state, the country, and the world.

We were more isolated information wise. Is it reasonable that we did not hear of problems like this one because we did not have a cell phone where everybody post all kinds of problems?

In those days the news from other parts of the world were mostly on national issues like wars, economy, etc. but not about someone that dies eating peanuts.

You have a great day.
elamigo
There were t I do t think as many but I think I changed in the environment or something similar has caused issues we never had before.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:08 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm 58, and growing up in the 1960's and 70's I never knew anyone with a food allergy. Now it's peanuts, soy, gluten, etc.
Yes, it is. And it’s real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events