Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times

Advertisements

No one has come up with an app for this yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Actually, there's a method whereby a railroad buff, If (s)he knows a thing or two about electronics, can access and monitor the Centralized Traffic Control system with which most major rail lines are operated, and eventually, build his/her own display:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ATCS_Monitor/info

But it takes a fair amount of time, and dedication, to set up the system from home:

Railroad radio-monitoring sites are much easier to access, and these also include access to the overheated-axle and dragging-equipment detectors used at various locations.

RailroadRadio.net

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-02-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 11:43 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,077,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
No one has come up with an app for this yet?
What app? The don'twalkneartraintrack App?

Old 08-06-2018, 10:50 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
There's probably been more hit by trains in this same time period that I don't know about. Two were close to me and covered by Charlotte news and one managed to get hit by a historic train out west which made the "railroad and railfan" news. We'll start with her.

I believe the train may have taken a track closer to her than she was expecting, but there's still no excuses to get hit by a train, especially one you not only know is coming, but you're there to take pictures of it. Sad for her and her family, but she'll forever be known as the photog who got killed by a steam engine.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/07/...ts-pedestrian/

Two people were killed around Charlotte, NC by trains. I heard about these on the radio, so no links. One was killed because he was walking on the tracks listening to music via earbuds! SMH This actualy happens more often than some may think.

https://www.wkrn.com/top-news/tennes...ive/1263489832

Someone always seems to ask the question how can you not hear a train. It must be easy, because it seems to happen kinda often.
I live on Long Island, NY. 2 people got hit by trains this morning, unrelated incidents.

It happens a lot here and I don't know why but it begs the question - are these people just dumb, not paying attention or are they trying to take their lives via train suicide? My train line is elevated so it isn't like people accidentally walked on the tracks ... you actually have to fall (which has happened), be pushed (which has also happened) or purposely jump down onto the tracks.

But yikes, what a horrible way to die

Old 08-06-2018, 11:09 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I live on Long Island, NY. 2 people got hit by trains this morning, unrelated incidents.

It happens a lot here and I don't know why but it begs the question - are these people just dumb, not paying attention or are they trying to take their lives via train suicide? My train line is elevated so it isn't like people accidentally walked on the tracks ... you actually have to fall (which has happened), be pushed (which has also happened) or purposely jump down onto the tracks.

But yikes, what a horrible way to die
It does happen a lot here (meaning NYC area). There seems to be more trains around here than in most other areas of the country, especially for a rather small area, with a high population and high population density. It's really no mystery imo.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,290,839 times
The train blows a horn that is 150 Decibels at all crossings in the US people who cross in front of a train and get killed is their own fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events