Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 02:03 PM

35,856 posts, read 18,181,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The lawyer's statement was that there was no cash left. They'll have to investigate further to find out what, if anything, they bought that can be sold -- like the BMW. Sounds like they spent a lot on trips and gambling.
I hadn't thought of gambling. Yes, you could lose that amount in an evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 03:20 PM

310 posts, read 780,262 times
Karma's a bi*ch

Old 09-04-2018, 03:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,707,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I hadn't thought of gambling. Yes, you could lose that amount in an evening.
Yet they were so "concerned" the homeless guy would spend it on drugs.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:59 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,083,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Stupid people who keep giving to a fund when it already has far more than the intended purpose - practically begs for abuse.

I saw a Gofundme once, where someone donated 5 bucks just so they could comment how awful the cause was. (And the cause WAS really stupid.) I just shook my head. That 5 bucks was still going to the stupid cause. LOL

IMO, the money belongs to Bobbitt, and should be given to him. The couple, they are not his keepers, and if not legally, then morally they are defrauding Bobbitt.

And I don't believe the excuses they've used for spending the money. I think once they saw the BIG bucks rolling in, they decided he didn't deserve it.

I'm curious about the legal ramifications here. Does a homeless man sue the couple for the rest of his money? Does he sue GoFundMe?

Or...is this the new frontier? The new Wild West? A "buyer beware" scenario? I'm super curious about all of this.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:46 PM

32,040 posts, read 27,262,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This story just is weirder and weirder. First, I do believe a homeless man with $20 in his pocket would buy gas for a stranger. In his memoir, "Will Work For Food", Bruce Moody describes that very characteristic of the homeless - if they have money and are asked for it, they're typically willing to share it.

But I don't believe this couple burned through 250K (I guess they gave some to the homeless guy, who presumedly bought drugs) and have nothing to show for it that can be liquidated, even for a fraction of the original balance.

Persons have blown through far more money in same or shorter amounts of time with "nothing to show" for it or whatever.

First and foremost just because the $250k or whatever funds aren't in the bank it does not mean it was spent. The couple could have transferred some or all of the unspent funds to anything from an offshore bank account to one just out of state. That and or purchased bonds or other negotiable instruments. Finally the cash could be stashed in a safety deposit box or otherwise hidden.

Obviously if you are intending to scam someone out of large sums you don't purchase things that can be sized. Well not with all the money anyway.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,155,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This is about as low as you can go. The homeless guy is back under a bridge, and the boyfriend claims he'll burn the money before he gives it to the guy it was originally raised for.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/24/coupl...elves-7880570/
I think what's lost in the story is the social network skills and power of persuasion the couple has. They're a good looking, young couple and very photogenic.

If I tried the same thing with my lack of charisma and small, fragmented social network of middle aged people, I'd be lucky to get $1000.

I've seen one person with a very serious advanced stage of cancer get less than $5000 and another person with a much less serious case get over 100K on GoFundMe. This world is all about convincing people...

Old 09-05-2018, 08:00 AM

35,856 posts, read 18,181,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Persons have blown through far more money in same or shorter amounts of time with "nothing to show" for it or whatever.

First and foremost just because the $250k or whatever funds aren't in the bank it does not mean it was spent. The couple could have transferred some or all of the unspent funds to anything from an offshore bank account to one just out of state. That and or purchased bonds or other negotiable instruments. Finally the cash could be stashed in a safety deposit box or otherwise hidden.

Obviously if you are intending to scam someone out of large sums you don't purchase things that can be sized. Well not with all the money anyway.
I know. That's what I was saying, when I said it's hard to believe they blew through that amount and have nothing to show. That was what I was getting at. I don't believe it.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,392,791 times
Looks like now the couple is going to take the 5th, man you can't make this stuff up!

N.J couple in $400K dispute with homeless vet no-shows court hearing, may take 5th

Old 09-05-2018, 12:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,707,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Very true, but if they transferred the money or just invested a large sum in the market that can be traced.

The money went somewhere very quickly.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:06 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,279,717 times
I read somewhere that the homeless dude was in on it all along...let me look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events