Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 01:28 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,095,963 times

Advertisements

What about taxes? Who will be responsible for paying it?

$400K although a donation is taxable. IRS man will want his cut.

Will Bonnie and Clyde pay it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 01:39 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Looks like now the couple is going to take the 5th, man you can't make this stuff up!

N.J couple in $400K dispute with homeless vet no-shows court hearing, may take 5th

Pleading "Fifth" may not be of much use, and my guess is this so called "couple" is out of NJ and or making tracks as we all speak.

Judge can easily hold them in contempt, chucking one or both into jail until such times they cooperate. Court can also impose heavy fines in such an action as well.

GoFundMe can also take action either civilly and or perhaps criminally if it can be established intent to defraud.

In any event judge in this case isn't having any of it and is running out of patience:

""You should advise your clients that they are directed by the court to appear, and they can assert their privileges at that time. I am no longer comfortable with counsel representing what their clients purport to say, when I have no certifications from the clients, no appearances by the clients, and a record that before me lacks clarity at times as to what happened with the funds," Judge Dow said."

https://abc7chicago.com/society/coup...court/4152437/

You mark my words, one or both of that some kind of couple are likely long gone out of NJ and or will not appear in court unless arrested and or otherwise detained.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
What about taxes? Who will be responsible for paying it?

$400K although a donation is taxable. IRS man will want his cut.

Will Bonnie and Clyde pay it?

Money may or may not be taxable in whole or part. Much depends (or would have) upon source of donations and or their purpose/intent upon giving.

If "Bonnie and Clyde" spent the GoFundMe money for personal use or whatever then yes, the IRS is likely to consider it income and they are going to owe. https://www.weeklystandard.com/andre...gofundme-lucre

Old 09-05-2018, 04:21 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,564,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Pleading "Fifth" may not be of much use, and my guess is this so called "couple" is out of NJ and or making tracks as we all speak.

Judge can easily hold them in contempt, chucking one or both into jail until such times they cooperate. Court can also impose heavy fines in such an action as well.

GoFundMe can also take action either civilly and or perhaps criminally if it can be established intent to defraud.

In any event judge in this case isn't having any of it and is running out of patience:

""You should advise your clients that they are directed by the court to appear, and they can assert their privileges at that time. I am no longer comfortable with counsel representing what their clients purport to say, when I have no certifications from the clients, no appearances by the clients, and a record that before me lacks clarity at times as to what happened with the funds," Judge Dow said."

https://abc7chicago.com/society/coup...court/4152437/

You mark my words, one or both of that some kind of couple are likely long gone out of NJ and or will not appear in court unless arrested and or otherwise detained.
I agree. they are in the wind and will not appear. I hope this follows them for the rest of their lives

Old 09-05-2018, 05:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I read somewhere that the homeless dude was in on it all along...let me look.
People were claiming this in comments on the FB page of NJ.com, which posted an article on FB. That it was all a plan this whole time and when Bobbitt didn't get his share, he went public with it, sticking with the story GFM and the news was initially told. People from the couple's immediate area, who know them or know people who know them, claimed they know things. How true these claims are or their alleged sources of info are, I have no idea.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:26 PM

23,878 posts, read 33,609,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The plot thickens:

All GoFundMe money is gone, attorney for homeless man John Bobbitt says

There's also an article on Philly.com, but I used up all of my "free" articles.

Some of the comments on that article are interesting, with some crazy/weird conspiracy theories, like this one, that I never thought of:

Nope. Nope. Still not buying the story that a woman was driving "late at night from New Jersey into Philadelphia" without a credit card or $5 in her pocket. Not buying the story that she didn't have a phone on her to call someone she knows for help. Not buying that a homeless addict appeared from nowhere and gave her $20. The more likely scenario is that couple are buyers in Philly and came to know the addict. The 3 of them concocted the story and the couple told the addict they'd give him a certain % or cut of all of the money they pull in from the dopes who willingly give it to them. The couple got greedy, didn't give the addict his cut, and he decided to speak up.
One of the better articles I've read on Philly.com
Basically, go fund me is guaranteeing the money to Bobbitt. They'll go after the couple. Bobbitts attorney wanted their passports handed in, judge said no. I'll be shocked if they don't bolt. The judge ordered them to appear and if they don't they'll be very sorry. Judge wouldn't accept the 5th plea.

Oh the Bf texted Bobbitt to lose the lawyers. He didn't reply. Good for him. I don't think they're all in on it because there would be evidence of it

Stay tuned cause it will be a bumpy ride for sure

Couple in Johnny Bobbitt’s $400k GoFundMe campaign will take the Fifth, lawyer says by Avalon Zoppo, Updated: 5 hours ago

Quote:

A judge on Wednesday ordered a Burlington County couple to testify under oath next week about what happened to the $400,000 they raised in a GoFundMe campaign to help a homeless man, Johnny Bobbitt Jr. — money their lawyer says is gone and that Bobbitt says they squandered.

Superior Court Judge Paula T. Dow directed Bobbitt's team of pro bono lawyers to request financial statements from the pair before the court closed on Wednesday.

At the hearing, the couple's lawyer told the judge they wanted to invoke their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

GoFundMe spokesman Bobby Whithorne said GoFundMe has deposited $20,000 into the escrow account to assist Bobbitt while an investigation into misuse of the funds continues. If fraud is revealed, donors can get a refund of up to $1,000.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:36 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,257,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
People were claiming this in comments on the FB page of NJ.com, which posted an article on FB. That it was all a plan this whole time and when Bobbitt didn't get his share, he went public with it, sticking with the story GFM and the news was initially told. People from the couple's immediate area, who know them or know people who know them, claimed they know things. How true these claims are or their alleged sources of info are, I have no idea.
Exactly, JG!

I tend to believe it's the more likely story.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Don't believe a word of it; not a single word.

*If* Bobbitt was in in the conspiracy why isn't this "couple" lawyering up and exposing that so called truth?

As things stand now the "couple" are in it up to their necks for civil, criminal and possibly federal charges *alone*.

You honestly mean to tell me that these two egits are going to take the fall for some homeless man they don't really know from Adam?

I'll tell you what happened; no one thought that GFM page would generate nearly one half million USD. Once it did that "couple" got greedy. Neither of them has much of anything and just couldn't see handing all that money over to some *homeless* guy, so they took a bit off the top. Then skimmed some more, then more and now other than the paltry sum handed over to Mr. Bobbitt the piggy bank is now empty.

People setting up and or ripping off charities is one of the oldest cons in the book

Old 09-05-2018, 06:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
Don't believe a word of it; not a single word.

*If* Bobbitt was in in the conspiracy why isn't this "couple" lawyering up and exposing that so called truth?

As things stand now the "couple" are in it up to their necks for civil, criminal and possibly federal charges *alone*.

You honestly mean to tell me that these two egits are going to take the fall for some homeless man they don't really know from Adam?

I'll tell you what happened; no one thought that GFM page would generate nearly one half million USD. Once it did that "couple" got greedy. Neither of them has much of anything and just couldn't see handing all that money over to some *homeless* guy, so they took a bit off the top. Then skimmed some more, then more and now other than the paltry sum handed over to Mr. Bobbitt the piggy bank is now empty.

People setting up and or ripping off charities is one of the oldest cons in the book
Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just rehashing what some locals claimed on a local news-centric page.

But if the couple were to get a lawyer to expose that so called truth, as you said, they would implicate themselves in a sort of fraud/fraud conspiracy scenario (rather than what is now allegedly some sort of one-sided theft scenario though could also be fraud). Wouldn't be too smart unless they were offered some type of deal for implicating Bobbitt in said fraud, on the criminal law end. Wouldn't be good to implicate themselves in EITHER scenario, fraud or theft, or anything else, without sound legal advice and possibly the promise of a deal for certain info and/or testimony.

They should get a lawyer and follow their lawyer's advice no matter what happened here.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:32 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,352,850 times
Quote:
I tend to agree with this scenario, although who doesn't like a good conspiracy theory.

I don't think between the 3 of them, they have enough brain cells to even come up with such a plan, like the ones people are suggesting on the various message boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events