Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:48 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,603,494 times

Advertisements

Many very good points and nuances have been brought up by those who have responded to this thread.

And the irony that the working class who Labor Day is supposedly designated for having to work while executives get the day off is a good point. I do realize that some industries (i.e. hospitals, first responders, and even some media as has been pointed out) have to have continuous coverage so it may not be possible for every single person to get the same day off, whether that's on Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.

But I do hope that these folks at least get a day off that honors the same premise that Labor Day was created for, just like they should get days off in lieu of the other holidays that others take for granted. So, for another example, I'd be cool with Veterans being able to take Veterans Day off while non-Veterans fill in on that day if it's possible to arrange the work flow that way.

I hope other see my point, which was to acknowledge what and whom various holidays are created for and not to put so much attention on some while ignoring others.

Last edited by Jowel; 09-05-2018 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 04:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
No, I'm not deflecting. I answered the question you asked and then some.

The government can't dictate that private businesses shut down for a holiday, although plenty of them do of their own accord. Something like 23 percent of wage earners don't get paid holidays, so that leaves a pretty big majority of them able to take Labor Day off and celebrate however they see fit. ETA "wage earners" refers to hourly/shift workers, not to execs and other managerial positions.

I get the irony of many people having to work on Labor Day but don't see it as a reason for the holiday to go away. I do agree with those who've stated that there needs to be more focus on what the holiday means, but that's the case with all holidays.

We'll also have to disagree that media coverage was lacking overall.

Quote:
Why is media coverage so lacking?" The answer is, the media is one of the industries with the most to lose if they pick it.
Disagree with this as well. In fact, those who train for a career in news aren't really the 9-5 types in the first place. They go into the profession knowing full well it's not going to be weekends and holidays off -- and that's actually why some of them choose it. They aren't exactly convenience store clerks who've been kind of forced into where they're at because they don't have the skills to do anything else and have some need to throw subversive little hissy fits because they "have to work" on a holiday.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-05-2018 at 05:16 PM..

Old 09-05-2018, 04:55 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I could not agree more.

I have neighbors who apparently think it has something to do with "Our Troops".

I'm not joking.
I'd like to add that I have nothing against honoring the military, however, that is not what Labor Day is about. Similarly, Independence Day is not about the military It's a patriotic holiday, but it has little to do with supporting the troops or honoring the military.

In recent years, it seems that there is almost a fetish among some people when it comes to "Our Troops". I do not remember this when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s.
Also, during that time period I think most people knew what Labor Day was. Now, I am not so sure.

Some people become terribly upset if people ignore "The True Meaning" of certain holidays. I see memes on Facebook stating that Memorial Day is not about cook outs. Fair enough. How exactly is it supposed to be celebrated?

Old 09-05-2018, 05:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Here's some interesting reading for anyone who's interesting in learning more about who works on Labor Day. The article is three years old but nonetheless still relevant.

https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/83...labor-day.html

Old 09-05-2018, 08:26 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Wasn't Labor Day adopted to co-opt support for May Day, which was the demonstration day for international workers to demonstrate for better working conditions, and had strong communist overtones? It served its purpose. Who is demonstrating in the streets on May Day in the USA?
Exactly! Labor Day was specifically chosen as a reminder to would-be rabble-rousers that there's not much more time before the Big Policeman (winter) shows up.

But it isn't by accident that the narrative of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged begins on September 2 or involves the folly of a "public calendar page" no one really needs or wants.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'd like to add that I have nothing against honoring the military, however, that is not what Labor Day is about. Similarly, Independence Day is not about the military It's a patriotic holiday, but it has little to do with supporting the troops or honoring the military.

In recent years, it seems that there is almost a fetish among some people when it comes to "Our Troops". I do not remember this when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s.
Also, during that time period I think most people knew what Labor Day was. Now, I am not so sure.

Some people become terribly upset if people ignore "The True Meaning" of certain holidays. I see memes on Facebook stating that Memorial Day is not about cook outs. Fair enough. How exactly is it supposed to be celebrated?
We are not as patriotic as our ancestors were, nowadays, even though a tyrannical govt is in power, people STILL celebrate Independence day, memorial day, etc, and they all seem to morph into a 'support the US/troops' kind of holiday!

Today, patriotism is mainly just obedience and compliance.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:38 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,603,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We are not as patriotic as our ancestors were, nowadays, even though a tyrannical govt is in power, people STILL celebrate Independence day, memorial day, etc, and they all seem to morph into a 'support the US/troops' kind of holiday!

Today, patriotism is mainly just obedience and compliance.
I have to agree. As stated earlier, I'm all for honoring military veterans and patriotism in an appropriate context. I just think if every holiday gets blurred into that purpose, and more about conformity than about honoring those who have been faithful and dedicated servants of the public, then people become "immune" to the true meaning of the message because it starts losing its meaning and purpose. But I see that message get lost on people who think it has to the way it has to be expressed in its current form, which is often a mile wide but an inch deep.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:17 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Exactly! Labor Day was specifically chosen as a reminder to would-be rabble-rousers that there's not much more time before the Big Policeman (winter) shows up.

But it isn't by accident that the narrative of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged begins on September 2 or involves the folly of a "public calendar page" no one really needs or wants.
Quite right.

It was because Rand - in addition to being a charlatan (and a very successful one at that) who created a 'philosophy' (not really - everything in objectivism boils down to 'what Ayn liked') - was a reactionary who had nothing but sneering contempt for laborers and nothing but reverence for anyone who could make money hand over fist, no matter the means.

But, hey, thanks for bring Ayn's deep thoughts on Labor Day into the conversation!

Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
When I was a kid, Labor Day was just a way to mark the end of summer and the return to school. Memorial Day marked the end of school year and the beginning of summer. Other than that, not much meaning to anyone. But a paid holiday is always good and we need more of them. Let's start with Good Friday and Easter (following Monday) as National Holidays.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:53 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I have to agree. As stated earlier, I'm all for honoring military veterans and patriotism in an appropriate context. I just think if every holiday gets blurred into that purpose, and more about conformity than about honoring those who have been faithful and dedicated servants of the public, then people become "immune" to the true meaning of the message because it starts losing its meaning and purpose. But I see that message get lost on people who think it has to the way it has to be expressed in its current form, which is often a mile wide but an inch deep.
It makes me wonder what things people are currently doing in our times, that will eventually be celebrated by future generations and have a day awarded towards it...I really cannot think of anything!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events