Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times

Advertisements

I cannot summon even half a tear of sympathy for this fool. Sentinel Island and its inhabitants are a known no-go zone. Every attempt thus far in communication with the natives has been met with violent aggression. I feel the same about the fools who put their heads between the jaws of an alligator.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
Maybe someone over there in Lefty-Land would care to explain the difference between this Bible-thumping zealot and the SJWs who proclaim every day that the Master Plan of Clinton, Obama and the rest is superior (in every way) to the "live and let live" approach favored by most "conservatives" (I take note of the Christian Right (who are not typical) and can only offer my apology), and virtually all libertarians?

I recognize the need for a uniform (and limited) code of rules, and that there will be some conflict on peripheral points, but beyond that, and just as with this zealot,please keep your morality and ethics out of my life.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-21-2018 at 07:44 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 07:49 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,128 times
You do know that the whole “60,000 years” thing is completely rubbish, right? We aren’t talking about some tribe hidden away in an impossible-to-get-to-until-now part of the Amazon River basin or some such. They live on an island in easily navigated Indian territorial waters, about 35 miles from an international airport. Up until very recently, the island was NOT off-limits by any government, and there is no reason to believe that there have not been countless encounters with the islanders over the years. Just because they appear to live as ‘savages’ of 60,000 years ago may have lived, doesn’t mean that their society wasn’t formed by a tribe of homicidal survivalist sociopaths a few hundred years ago. There is no evidence whatsoever for the age given for their ‘culture’.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:00 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Maybe someone over there in Lefty-Land would care to explain the difference between this Bible-thumping zealot and the SJWs who proclaim every day that the Master Plan of Clinton, Obama and the rest is superior (in every way) to the "live and let live" approach favored by most "conservatives" (I take note of the Christian Right (who are not typical) and can only offer my apology), and virtually all libertarians?

I recognize the need for a uniform (and limited) code of rules, and that there will be some conflict on peripheral points, but beyond that, and just as with this zealot,please keep your morality and ethics out of my life.
I bet everyone fights over who gets stuck sitting next to you at Thanksgiving dinner.

Someone: "Loved the turkey! Now let's watch some football!"

You: "Speaking of turkey and football, Clinton blah blah blah, Obama blah blah blah, left-this blah blah blah, liberal-that blah blah blah!"

Give it a rest, dude.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
You do know that the whole “60,000 years” thing is completely rubbish, right? We aren’t talking about some tribe hidden away in an impossible-to-get-to-until-now part of the Amazon River basin or some such. They live on an island in easily navigated Indian territorial waters, about 35 miles from an international airport. Up until very recently, the island was NOT off-limits by any government, and there is no reason to believe that there have not been countless encounters with the islanders over the years. Just because they appear to live as ‘savages’ of 60,000 years ago may have lived, doesn’t mean that their society wasn’t formed by a tribe of homicidal survivalist sociopaths a few hundred years ago. There is no evidence whatsoever for the age given for their ‘culture’.
No really, there hasn't been any known contact with the Sentinelese and the outside world outside of them killing whoever made it to their shores, them shooting arrows at Indian Navy helicopters, and an Indian anthropologist throwing coconuts onto their shores in an effort to build rapport. The Andaman and Nicobar island chain is 1,000 miles away from the Indian mainland and about 500 miles away from Thailand., so your efforts of trying to make this place to not be isolated seems fairly incredulous and reeks of intellectual dishonesty. The first recorded "outside" settlement of the islands was a prison builit in the 1800s, and contact with the outside world has brought nothing but disease, death, poverty, and misery to the natives of these islands.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 11-21-2018 at 08:21 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 08:10 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
American John Allen Chau killed by tribe isolated for 60,000 years. He defied local laws that made it illegal for outsiders to make contact with primitive tribe.

American Man Killed By Isolated Sentinelese Tribe in India | Time

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/21/chris...reach-8163499/

US Tourist John Allen Chau Reportedly Killed by Sentinelese Tribe in India
Just unbelievable.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Just unbelievable.
Unbelievable in what way? Please elaborate.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:16 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, I'm aware there's some Asian heritage there (though from his photos, I'd guess he's as much Caucasian as anything). Nonetheless, the great white comment was more about the attitudes of many American Christians, especially those who feel compelled to spread their religion among those they consider "unenlightened.
Or all of colonialism.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
No really, there hasn't been any known contact with the Sentinelese and the modern world outside of them killing whoever made it to their shores, them shooting arrows at helicopters, and an Indian anthropologist throwing coconuts onto their shores in an effort to build rapport. The Andaman and Nicobar island chain is 1,000 miles away from the Indian mainland and about 500 miles away from Thailand., so your efforts of trying to make this place to not be isolated seems fairly incredulous and reeks of intellectual dishonesty. The first recorded settlement of the islands was a British prison in the 1800s, and contact with the outside world has brought nothing but disease, death, and misery to the natives of these islands.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:58 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
No really, there hasn't been any known contact with the Sentinelese and the modern world outside of them killing whoever made it to their shores, them shooting arrows at Indian Navy helicopters, and an Indian anthropologist throwing coconuts onto their shores in an effort to build rapport. The Andaman and Nicobar island chain is 1,000 miles away from the Indian mainland and about 500 miles away from Thailand., so your efforts of trying to make this place to not be isolated seems fairly incredulous and reeks of intellectual dishonesty. The first recorded "outside" settlement of the islands was a prison builit in the 1800s, and contact with the outside world has brought nothing but disease, death, poverty, and misery to the natives of these islands.
Uh huh. Yes, I know how to use google, as well. I also know that many anthropologists LOVE to make wild claims based on nothing but a scrap of cloth, a piece of bone, or the unintelligibility of a language. It’s not like the island has been guarded 24/7 for the past 60,000 years to insure no contamination has occurred. In addition, NO archaeological or sociological studies have ever been done on the island or it’s people. Everything we ‘know’ about them is conjecture by academics looking to publish a paper.

This is an area with thousands of years of seafaring experience, with the Andaman Islands in the perfect position to act as a stepping stone to the East Indies from the Asian mainland. There is no reason to believe that there have not been countless instances of contact over the centuries and millennia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events