Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 09:17 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times

Advertisements

Let's forget for a second about the danger this darwin award winner exposed to himself, and talk about the total lack of respect he showed this tribe. It's obvious they aren't open to outsiders' ideas and beliefs and he knew that, but his arrogance compelled him to go bother them anyway. And now the people he talked into helping him are being charged with his murder, which is a crock - he alone is responsible for his own demise.
A$$hole.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:01 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
I’m going to opt out of the obligatory self-flagellation for being a white American & “sort-of Christian”, to first say “wow, that’s fascinating & I agree they seem very healthy!”

I’m wondering if “Missionary” or “Mission” mean different things for different denominations? My twins have gone on mission trips every summer with our church (Catholic),since the 9th grade & cramming religion down someone else’s throat has never even been the idea.

They simply go to a parish in a disadvantaged area, such as a reservation or inner city & help with remodeling or run a day camp for little kids.

They are actually requested & invited back by many churches in many areas. Also, I can’t speak for all denominations but my uncle is a priest & Im aware that there are many places in Africa that much prefer to have the Catholic Church in their communities than US Aid workers. They don’t like many of the US clinics because they say all they have is birth control & vaccines. If you need food & medicine; you go to the church.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I’m going to opt out of the obligatory self-flagellation for being a white American & “sort-of Christian”, to first say “wow, that’s fascinating & I agree they seem very healthy!”

I’m wondering if “Missionary” or “Mission” mean different things for different denominations? My twins have gone on mission trips every summer with our church (Catholic),since the 9th grade & cramming religion down someone else’s throat has never even been the idea.

They simply go to a parish in a disadvantaged area, such as a reservation or inner city & help with remodeling or run a day camp for little kids.

They are actually requested & invited back by many churches in many areas. Also, I can’t speak for all denominations but my uncle is a priest & Im aware that there are many places in Africa that much prefer to have the Catholic Church in their communities than US Aid workers. They don’t like many of the US clinics because they say all they have is birth control & vaccines. If you need food & medicine; you go to the church.
All they have are birth control and vaccines? Mothers in Third World countries have been known to literally beg for both of those things. Vaccines are medicine, BTW, and they save a lot of lives.

This guy wasn't trespassing for the purpose of starting a day camp for kids. He made his intentions quite clear, and it was the equivalent, albeit on a much larger scale, of knocking on doors trying to convert perfect strangers to your way of believing.

Catholics certainly didn't do the Native Americans any favors with their boarding schools.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-21-2018 at 11:52 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 11:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Imagine if we flew Helicopters, Drones, low overhead the island we would seem like some advanced E.T.s the real danger in contacting this isolated tribe is we could accidently give them some type of flu, cold or virus they could not fight off...that is the danger.

Plus we could learn a lot about how humanity used to live thus we could learn a lot from them by watching them from satellite or high flying drones or airplanes

Old 11-21-2018, 11:51 PM

this Reminds me of the Cargo Cults the documentry is quite fascinating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmlYe2KS0-Y

Old 11-22-2018, 12:05 AM

describes the phenomenon much better and more detail on Cargo Cult's it is quite facsinatiting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an0kEqsnW3U

Old 11-22-2018, 12:05 AM

145 posts, read 104,366 times
Have to say the deceased got what he deserved. He had warning about the danger yet still persisted.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:53 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times
I'm sure stories of near extinction have carried over the generations among the tribe, and they have very good reasons for killing any fool that tries to make contact. Surely this a$$hat knew about the danger of bringing disease to what remains of the tribe but went anyway.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/22/asia/...ntl/index.html

First contact was made by the British in the late 1800s, when, despite attempts to hide, six individuals from the tribe were captured and taken to the main island of the Andaman Island archipelago. Two captured adults died of illness while the four children were returned -- perhaps also infected with illnesses that the islanders' immune systems were unequipped to deal with.
Except for a brief, friendly interaction in the early 1990s, they have fiercely resisted contact with outsiders, even following disaster.
"The British colonial occupation of the Andaman Islands decimated the tribes living there, wiping out thousands of tribespeople, and only a fraction of the original population now survive. So the Sentinelese fear of outsiders is very understandable," the group said.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:55 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,881,284 times
God gave him a brain but he failed to use it.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:01 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Unbelievable in what way? Please elaborate.
This island is well known for wanting no contact with any outsiders. 2 fishermen were killed in 2006 when they drifted too close to the island. What did he think was going to happen? You're not converting these savages to Christianity. Just let them alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events