Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:57 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Convictions = "fighting crime" = re-election = run for higher office = more $$$$ = more power = more more more more more

Yeah, I like that. On Cops and Live PD the coppers often ask, "Hey, why ya so nervous?"

"Well, I've never been pulled over by a cop who starts asking questions and stuff. YOU, officer, do this every day. I don't."
Reminds me of the: “Well; he must be guilty because he ran when we chased him! If he wasn’t guilty then why did he run?”

There are so many reasons! Many times the chasers are in unmarked cars & plain clothes. Some people come from places & neighborhoods where if you are being chased? You run. It’s an instinct.

Not like me; the last time I was chased it’s because I left my keys at the checkout & the checker sent the bag boy after me.

And obviously; one reason why someone might run is: “Because you can’t tell the difference between Meth & Cotton Candy & I can’t afford to sit in jail for the 3 months it will take for you to figure it out”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 10:46 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
In the lawsuit, Fincher argues the deputies should have known the drug test could result in false positives, that it would have been unlikely for someone to leave a large bag of meth in plain sight and that the county improperly trained them how to identify illicit drugs.

The cops are only trained to test, not learn later that some tests come back with a false "Positive" Now if they were trained to do 2-3 samples, then we've got some arguments. Also, meth can come in various ways, like LSD.

Oh, btw here's a list of slang for meth...

Currently popular slang terms for meth include:

Speed.
Crank.
Tweek.
Uppers.
Chalk.
Christina.
Tina.
Go fast.
Cookies.
Cotton candy.
Dunk.
Gak.
Go-go juice.
No doze.
White cross.
Pookie.
Rocket fuel.
Scooby snax.
Wash.
Trash.
Garbage.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:50 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Geez, imagine if she got caught with gummy bears.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:04 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
In the lawsuit, Fincher argues the deputies should have known the drug test could result in false positives, that it would have been unlikely for someone to leave a large bag of meth in plain sight and that the county improperly trained them how to identify illicit drugs.
The cops are only trained to test, not learn later that some tests come back with a false "Positive" Now if they were trained to do 2-3 samples, then we've got some arguments. Also, meth can come in various ways, like LSD.
Of course the appearance of drugs can be disguised but the basics of what cocaine, heroin, meth and marijuana look like are part of an Officer's training. The problem with their presumptive test is that the tests kits they were using were apparently known to be faulty returning a high rate of false positives.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:12 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Of course the appearance of drugs can be disguised but the basics of what cocaine, heroin, meth and marijuana look like are part of an Officer's training. The problem with their presumptive test is that the tests kits they were using were apparently known to be faulty returning a high rate of false positives.
There are also some 'creative new' ways those on the spot drug tests can be fooled into giving a false reading (just another way they can conceal real drugs).

There is some heroin (in pill form) going around, that cannot be detected with these on the spot tests. I heard about how they did it and its pretty darn creative!

Old 11-26-2018, 12:25 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I hope she wins her law suit. If the test kits did have a bad track record, why were they being used by this dept. Saving money perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There are also some 'creative new' ways those on the spot drug tests can be fooled into giving a false reading (just another way they can conceal real drugs).

There is some heroin (in pill form) going around, that cannot be detected with these on the spot tests. I heard about how they did it and its pretty darn creative!

These tests are the problem. You can view some Youtube vids of news channels testing the tests. one of them, if you do nothing, it gives what appears to be a positive result. You put nothing in it, pop the capsules, it gives the color, though lighter, that indicates a positive test.

Chocolate, Folic Acid, the glaze from a Krispy Kreme donut are a few of the things known to result in a false positive.

The other problem is.. The difference between a positive and negative test can be minimal and unrecognizable in low light environments. So, they also have a wide range of interpretation.

Several agencies have stopped arresting people based on these tests due to this.

You can actually buy these tests..

https://www.shopevident.com/category...ive-drug-tests

Take a look at the second one on the top row.. You tell me what the hell the colors mean on that. It looks like the ending color is the same as the starting color for the other one.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:30 PM

388 posts, read 307,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I was taught long ago:

Police aren't looking for justice, they're looking for an arrest. You'll do.

Prosecutors aren't looking for justice, either. They're looking for a conviction. You'll do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
What I found striking was the statement that the woman was "shaking and anxious" during a traffic stop. Um, yeah, I usually am pretty anxious during a traffic stop, and if they decided they needed to search my stuff, I'd be completely freaked out. I've never been arrested, never had more than a traffic ticket. A stone-cold sociopath, however, would be quite calm.
About five years ago my husband had an encounter with a moose on an icy rural road in the dark pre-dawn. He was on his way to work and given the condition of the windshield and roof, it was a miracle that neither he nor his passenger was decapitated.

Then the troopers showed up, and decided that the right response to a guy who'd been standing outside in the freezing cold for nearly an hour after what could easily have been a fatal accident was to make him take a field sobriety test, because he seemed "a little shaky." My husband knows better than to talk to cops, but the stress of the situation got to him and he admitted to having a glass of wine at dinner the night before, which the trooper tried to tell him could still be affecting him (a 250lb guy) twelve hours later. Certainly serving and protecting and not just trying to pump up the arrest numbers at all there!

So, yeah, you can absolutely be forgiven for appearing nervous or anxious at a traffic stop, because anyone who's paying attention knows that it's easy for cops to destroy your life on a whim whether you've done anything wrong or not.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:06 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
So, yes:

A. The fact that they have a test should not have obviated basic narcotics recognition training, it should have been in addition to that training

B. The fact that tests return frequent false positives should certainly be part of their training, which is why A is still necessary, as well as other means they should know to identify possible suspects.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:34 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
So, yes:

A. The fact that they have a test should not have obviated basic narcotics recognition training, it should have been in addition to that training

B. The fact that tests return frequent false positives should certainly be part of their training, which is why A is still necessary, as well as other means they should know to identify possible suspects.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
A lot of these rapid drug testing kits have resulted in false positives that have caused people to be wrongfully convicted or imprisoned. Harris County, TX in particular has a lot of these issues. They should not still be in use, it's so wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events