Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 07:24 AM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

It seems that in this case, at least, extreme liberalism just met reality.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I avoid bathrooms at Starbucks like the plague. Too often I've gone in as a homeless person comes out and it was obvious they spent the last hour bathing in the sink and clogging the toilet best they could. Who knows what diseases get spread around during one of these sessions.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Which is why the key is usually attached to a large item too big to fit in a pocket. You should know this, Mr. fish, being an ex-long hauler.

At my ophthalmologist office, the facility is on the same floor as but separate from the office. The key is attached to a pair of glasses. Now, that, I think could pose a problem with people having to be reminded to bring back the key.

As for using the rest room in a place that serves food, once, when having appeared in a performance with several other actors, we were on the road home and the lead car pulled into a Mickey D's parking lot. We all followed, not knowing if there was a problem with his car. He told us his car was fine but he needed to use the rest room. There followed a big discussion about using the rest room without making a purchase. His rebuttal was that he had often been in a Mickey D's, made a purchase and DIDN'T use the rest room so this was a "make-up visit".

I have to admit, he had a point.
Yes; those keys are usually attached to a dirty old board or something that looks like a serious health problem. Many of us would never take the key on purpose because we did not want to infect our whole neighborhood! We should have had rubber gloves on to touch that key.

Yes; your friend had a point! Actually my wife always liked to stop at hospitals to use the facilities - they were cleaner than the rest areas!

Old 12-10-2018, 10:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
In Philly, where the infamous "incidence" of last Spring happened, restrooms are no longer locked and anyone can use them.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,601 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I was surprised to find last month that in New Orleans, some businesses charge a quarter to open the door (not the stall,
the door to the entire restroom). It was amazing how many fairly wealthy looking people didn't have a quarter.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:36 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
As for using the rest room in a place that serves food, once, when having appeared in a performance with several other actors, we were on the road home and the lead car pulled into a Mickey D's parking lot. We all followed, not knowing if there was a problem with his car. He told us his car was fine but he needed to use the rest room. There followed a big discussion about using the rest room without making a purchase. His rebuttal was that he had often been in a Mickey D's, made a purchase and DIDN'T use the rest room so this was a "make-up visit".t.
They gave him grief over needing to take a pee?

What did they want him to do, pee on the side of the road?

I wouldn't want to hang out with these people any more. Too uptight.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:51 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
My Starbucks downtown Fort Lauderdale has a lock on the door and you must have a code and be a customer to use it.

Same with the one in Key West in the La Concha Hotel.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:57 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Starbucks set themselves up as the place to go and hang out for hours... then decided that they didn't really want people to hang out for hours. Unless you were one of the handful of 'visual shills' who projected just the right image and ambience and didn't smell bad.

People are always surprised when the fuzzy, warm, yay-little-people, solidarity corporations like Starbucks, Disney, Apple et al. turn out to be... corporations.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They gave him grief over needing to take a pee?

What did they want him to do, pee on the side of the road?

I wouldn't want to hang out with these people any more. Too uptight.
What grief? Not one person said a word about "grief". Oh, wait...what?...well, one person. Who wasn't even there.

Nobody gave him grief. We had a discussion. discussion. Sometimes, people just stand around and talk, you know, discuss.

Talk about uptight...

Old 12-10-2018, 11:54 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
It seems that in this case, at least, extreme liberalism just met reality.
One of the national brands soup and sandwich places open a restaurant in Portland, and set a "pay what you think it is worth" policy. In theory, if a customer was wealthy, they would voluntarily pay more. Poor people could eat and pay less. The policy In the area where a lot of homeless hang out. They didn't keep it up for long.

But back on topic, it costs serious money to maintain a public restroom. Cleaning, maintenance, paper goods, it all costs a lot. An occasional non-paying drop-in is one thing. They might become a customer. But to be used as the regular maintenance, shoot up, nap time place for the local homeless is what the problem is.

I've been in the lady's room at Safeway and a homeless woman was sound asleep on the floor of the handicapped stall. The restroom is there as a convenience for paying customers, not a free hotel for vagrants.

As I was leaving, the safeway sleeper was outside, very angry. Talking loudly to herself about canibals and their canibal children. Really, not what a store needs........ and really off topic, the woman was so obviously out of control crazy, society really should figure out what to do about those who are crazy to that degree.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 12-10-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events