Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:20 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times

Advertisements

In my area a lot of gas & convenience stores are just locking the restroom doors & sticking an “Out of Order” sign on the door & they could care less if you just filled your gas tank & bought a gigantic thermos with their logo plastered on it.

I’m not so sure this is due to corporate policy as much as it is a matter of preference of the employee(s) that just happen to be working.

Sort of like the fast food restaurant where the milkshake machine always seems to break after 5 pm when the manager goes home.

This is fairly new here, with the exception of a few places in “skid row” locations, that have been doing it for about 7-8 years.

Since I’m always on the road with kids, including a 6’2, 220 lb disabled 15 year old who has only been out of diapers for about 7 years; I find out first if the facilities are available before I spend any money there.

No way am I spending money at an inconvenient convenience store. I also intentionally buy something (token purchase) at unexpected stops to use the restroom; otherwise I’d be a non-consuming consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 11:14 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Years ago, I went into a public library in a very depressed major metropolitan area. I stepped into the ladies' room, and there was an older homeless woman in the spacious handicapped stall with the door wide open. She was bent over the toilet, washing out some small items of clothing, using the toilet bowl as a sink.

I try not to be shocked, but it got to me. I exited the ladies' room pretty fast.

I can understand why companies forbid entrance to the restrooms (except for paying guests).
I probably know which one you're talking about.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I think that's absolutely fantastic. I'm on her side.
Really? Did you even read what I said we found in our bathrooms when we let customers use them? Do I have this right? You're the kind of person who would let your kid pee inside a business because you can't use the business's bathroom? Dude, YOU'RE THE KIND OF PERSON WHO CAUSED OUR BATHROOMS TO BE OFF LIMITS TO CUSTOMERS IN THE FIRST PLACE. I can only imagine how filthy you'd leave a bathroom.

You're also the kind of person I wish would open his own business and then let the public use his bathrooms. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that you'd close them the first time you had to wipe s**t off the floor and the walls.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
In my area a lot of gas & convenience stores are just locking the restroom doors & sticking an “Out of Order” sign on the door & they could care less if you just filled your gas tank & bought a gigantic thermos with their logo plastered on it.

I’m not so sure this is due to corporate policy as much as it is a matter of preference of the employee(s) that just happen to be working.

Sort of like the fast food restaurant where the milkshake machine always seems to break after 5 pm when the manager goes home.

This is fairly new here, with the exception of a few places in “skid row” locations, that have been doing it for about 7-8 years.

Since I’m always on the road with kids, including a 6’2, 220 lb disabled 15 year old who has only been out of diapers for about 7 years; I find out first if the facilities are available before I spend any money there.

No way am I spending money at an inconvenient convenience store. I also intentionally buy something (token purchase) at unexpected stops to use the restroom; otherwise I’d be a non-consuming consumer.
Texas seems to be just the opposite. Gas stations along travel routes are in stiff competition for who has the nicest/cleanest restrooms, and Bucees is winning. With bill boards like What are the reasons to stop at Bucees? #1 and #2. And Buccees 283 miles, you can hold it.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Anyone who runs a public restaurant/coffee shop type of business knows that operating public bathrooms goes along with the territory. Either figure it out or go into a different line of work. Just my two cents.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Anyone who runs a public restaurant/coffee shop type of business knows that operating public bathrooms goes along with the territory. Either figure it out or go into a different line of work. Just my two cents.
Not at all true (by public restroom, I'm guessing you mean those that are open to everyone whether they're a customer, employee or not). Business owners have no legal responsibility whatsoever to operate public restrooms that just anyone can use. This will explain it to you further:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...gal/607614002/

Old 12-13-2018, 04:22 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not at all true (by public restroom, I'm guessing you mean those that are open to everyone whether they're a customer, employee or not). Business owners have no legal responsibility whatsoever to operate public restrooms that just anyone can use. This will explain it to you further:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...gal/607614002/
If they're a franchise owner the corporate office might decide that for them.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
If they're a franchise owner the corporate office might decide that for them.
The only one I can think of that's done that is Starbucks, and it didn't take them long to reverse the decision.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Quote:
Anyone who runs a public restaurant/coffee shop type of business knows that operating public bathrooms goes along with the territory.
By custom, not law.

Food service businesses must provide bathrooms for their customers.

Non-food businesses have no obligation to provide bathrooms for any non-employee.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:01 PM

190 posts, read 128,908 times
Aren't women tired of men peeing on the seat in these genderless bathrooms ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events