Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:38 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Nope. It's the legal and financial liability (lawsuit) that they try to avoid.
THAT is the bottom line, right there.

Yeah, you guys are right, I just think it's such a lousy way to treat people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 01:41 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Yeah, you guys are right, I just think it's such a lousy way to treat people.
Getting fired for violating one of the most serious workplace/public space safety rules? Aww.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:30 PM

1,037 posts, read 434,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Getting fired for violating one of the most serious workplace/public space safety rules? Aww.
This reminds me of this case I have in my memory. The employee claimed self defense when he grabbed the robber's gun, he was fired. It was filed in State court and removed under the Diversity statute. He lost at the District Court jury trial.

Feliciano v. 7-Eleven, No. 29564

Old 12-10-2018, 05:00 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Stupid. They tackled the guy as he was fleeing. That wasn't an action of defense.

Wrong. The policy exists because they value the lives of their employees and customers more than money.
LOL...naive much??

Wonder how many CEOs and VIPs of these corporations, banks, etc would show up at the funerals of an employee/customer who wound up dying in a bank robbery, store holdup, etc.??

Make no mistake....they care only (or majorly) about their bottom lines and the impact of any lawsuit or specter of potential payout from being sued.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:05 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
Wrong. The policy exists because they value the lives of their employees and customers more than money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
LOL...naive much??

Wonder how many CEOs and VIPs of these corporations, banks, etc would show up at the funerals of an employee/customer who wound up dying in a bank robbery, store holdup, etc.??

Make no mistake....they care only (or majorly) about their bottom lines and the impact of any lawsuit or specter of potential payout from being sued.
None one including hertfordshire said it was because they were warm and fuzzy and huggable about it. They do indeed "value those lives" more than money because they have both implied and specific obligations towards those lives, and no amount that can be stolen from a retail setting is even remotely worth the costs of having needless harm - or loss - come to them.

Letting the junkie have the money is the only sensible answer from any perspective, for any reason. Oh, except that of the John Wayne crowd. They're welcome to go running down the street waving their CC piece, and I'm sure entirely prepared for any consequences thereof.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Stupid. They tackled the guy as he was fleeing. That wasn't an action of defense.

Agree.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yep. Surviving family's law suits, not to mention bad publicity for the company. May not be the company's fault, but having a fatal crime take place in your store won't bring customers flocking in to shop.
Yup. A kid from my school who worked at CVS got killed chasing down a homeless man stealing toothpaste. The family sued CVS. They probably don’t want a repeat of that mess and need to make that fact clear to employees.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:07 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
https://www.wwlp.com/world/cvs-worke...ief/1649647908

Unbelievable, I understand the policy, CVS is rich enough to swallow the robbery but I don't agree with them firing the clerk and pharmacist because their instinct came through! How many homicides are committed even though the robber got what they came for?

Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't nowadays. Is this snowflake policy or mearly trying to protect people?
Give me a break. They did not stop a robbery. The two of them tackled the guy from behind, while he was running out of the store. They were trying to prevent him from leaving, not stopping a robbery. All they had to do is let him leave, then let the police deal with the situation. But instead they decided to play cop, and they created a liability situation for CVS. It would not be a good business decision to allow their employees to conduct themselves that way.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:58 AM

11,774 posts, read 5,787,833 times
Wow - surprised at all those that don't want to get involved - that robber - whether he actually got anything or not - could have very well exited the doors and turned around and shot them both dead.

The guy came in with the intent to rob - whether he was after drugs in the pharmacy - which he may have received before walking with the pharmacist up front to empty out the register - he's still considered a robber in my book.

Sure we'll back off - leave them alone and then wait for the lawsuit from the robber's family for the drugs he overdosed on that he stole from the pharmacy. With the way our justice system is - if it hasn't happened yet - it will.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:00 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,715,411 times
Quote:
https://www.wwlp.com/world/cvs-worke...ief/1649647908

Unbelievable, I understand the policy, CVS is rich enough to swallow the robbery but I don't agree with them firing the clerk and pharmacist because their instinct came through! How many homicides are committed even though the robber got what they came for?

Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't nowadays. Is this snowflake policy or mearly trying to protect people?
You're right, Tami, and I hope you'll stick to your first instinct regardless of how many chime in here dutifully repeating what they've been told to think by corporate zombies. For they are the reason shoplifting is easy money. The theft isn't from the company - it is from all the rest of us, who pay for it with higher prices. The company couldn't care less, especially about what is right.

Some of them are likely to say but....but....but....crime is down! But we know better. Crime is rampant....it is only the challenging and reporting of crime that is down. Look the other way and you'll never get in trouble.

Fast forward a decade or two and they'll wonder, way too late, why there's barely a soul left anywhere with any ethical fabric to their character. That day is already here in much of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events