Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 11:58 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
So who exactly was offended?

Fat people that don't like when people use their sensory input (eyes) to make observations about an overweight sea otter?

“In particular, several terms referenced originated from African American Vernacular English (AAVE) and specifically reference Black women’s bodies. Using them in a sea otter meme without that background makes insinuations we never intended. We need to do better.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 12:00 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
“In particular, several terms referenced originated from African American Vernacular English (AAVE) and specifically reference Black women’s bodies. Using them in a sea otter meme without that background makes insinuations we never intended. We need to do better.”
So we can say "fat," but not use ethnic vernacular because that's demeaning?

Old 12-21-2018, 01:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Or maybe I'm just "thicc."
I don't know what your body shape has to do with anything... But good to know?

Old 12-21-2018, 01:13 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Thankfully sea otters remain on the endangered species list and cannot be hunted to near extinction like they were before.
Not entirely true. Sea otters are divided into distinct local populations. The southern sea otter (CA) is listed as threatened; one significant step healthier than endangered. They are re-colonizing their historical habitats so rapidly in AK and BC that they are wiping out shellfish in some coastal marine ecosystems. Alaska natives may now legally hunt them. As they don't have a blubber layer like other marine mammals they rely on a huge dense fur coat and body fat to stay warm and are voracious predators of shellfish (you know, commercially valuable things like crab, abalone, clams), urchins, small fin fish, and anemones. They typically eat a quarter to third of their body weight every day. For a female that's about 10 pounds, but they eat almost constantly day and night. Yes, that female is on the chunky side, but she's not that much larger than mature wild females I've seen. Her appearance is partly due to lying on the ground instead of suspended in water.

I saw something about this yesterday, but was under the impression that the silly post was supposed to have been keyed by a MALE sea otter! They have mitts for hands and no thumbs. The males I've "met" while out in boats were testosterone-mad, single-minded, uber-macho, foul-mouthed louts. Why wouldn't they also be non-PC?

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-21-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 02:34 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,826 times
They should have used the line from Madagascar to be safe: "Goodness, girl, you huge." It always makes me laugh.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:56 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Did anyone check with the otter to see if she was offended? Does she even have a Twitter account?

Old 12-21-2018, 06:28 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
the offended people are the ones saying to put her on a diet... too bad they won't use the same language when talking about fat people, so much easier for them to be offended for small animals

Old 12-21-2018, 06:39 PM

323 posts, read 218,986 times
Apologize for an animal? Ugh

Old 12-21-2018, 07:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallie225 View Post
Apologize for an animal? Ugh
No they were apologizing to people who were offended that they used AAVE to describe an animal. Words that are typically used to describe a black woman were used to describe an animal, amd some found that problematic. It wasn't the otter that was offended. She's an otter, she doesn't understand such things.

And no, I didnt find it offensive.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:55 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
I read the story, it was just funny, a cute little tweet. Yes, she's a big girl, she doesn't care, why should we? I heard Abby mentors young otters who have no mother. She teaches them how to get on in life and do otter things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events