Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 06:32 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
When I first watched the video, I thought for sure it was fake. Because no one would be dumb enough to have unsecured stacks that high, and it doesn't look like any of the forklifts in the video would even be able to reach the upper decks. How would they even reach the products on the top? Anyway doing some Google Image searching it seems that Amazon and other warehouses do in fact stack that way, even higher then what is shown in the video.

That said, I still think the video is fake. I see a lot of video editing in the video. The lighting and colors keep changing throughout the entire video, and the objects are very blurry. That combined with the fact that nobody can correctly identify the location of the incident, makes me pretty sure the video is fake. Yes, I have looked at about 10 different news stories that supposedly are about this incident. But none of the dates match the date shown on this video, and none seem to accurately describe the incident shown in this video. Until somebody can provide evidence of the time and location or better quality video, I'm going to believe the video is fake.
The date that accident happened was in 4/7/2017 in England; but a different location. The video is real and the driver died; from everything we learned so far. This accident just happened (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hropshire.html). We got confused because of the wrong YouTube video; but that video and the recent catastrophic collapse did happen as far as we know. In that first video you can even see the safety cage of the forklift bent by the first wall of shelving collapsing before it is buried by the second wall of shelving. The odds of surviving were not in that driver's favor. The recent accident we do not know what caused it; it could have been the forklift or simply overloaded racks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 07:11 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
We watched this last month in our safety meeting about forklifts.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:07 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default E Z RECT Racking would never do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
We watched this last month in our safety meeting about forklifts.
I'd love the brand name of that racking, and if it and the install was "contracted out" ……… to …….?
There's no way that E Z Rect racking would do this; fail safe. But I have seen raking hit esp. in freezer plants where ice/snow cover makes it not so obvious and it's not reported. I've been in warehouses on re-org. and cleanup and reported areas in slow storage where racking was suspect, especially at the corners where a lift is liking to bang it, and their regular employees simply don't report.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:10 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Until somebody can provide evidence of the time and location or better quality video, I'm going to believe the video is fake.
Well, I would actually LIKE to believe that it was fake, too... simply so I don't have to think about the poor guy underneath all that!! Yet, I can't.
First, WHY would someone need to make such a "fake"? Second, sadly, why would they need to, as the reality seems quite probable enough to supply "the real deal"...

Also, from the time when I first saw this, I was stunned how could ANYbody find it funny!! Even when served up with right background of "bad at work" memes, etc. I mean, unless the video is somehow fake, the tragedy seems obvious!! I was actually concerned there might be several people under that rubble. None seemed very likely to survive.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:22 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I'd love the brand name of that racking, and if it and the install was "contracted out" ……… to …….?
There's no way that E Z Rect racking would do this; fail safe. But I have seen raking hit esp. in freezer plants where ice/snow cover makes it not so obvious and it's not reported. I've been in warehouses on re-org. and cleanup and reported areas in slow storage where racking was suspect, especially at the corners where a lift is liking to bang it, and their regular employees simply don't report.
You know more about raking than I do. When you look at the original video and then the link of the accident that just happened; does it look like the same raking company? To me it looks like to different suppliers of raking. Of course some companies do offer different products or product lines. But it does look considerably different and not just the paint on the steel; but the design is different.

One thing people do not understand is that forklifts, even though small, are very heavy. Of course these high lifts with out runners are not as heavy as the traditional forklifts that we see all the time. But it would be safe to say that that particular lift, in the video probably weighed 4,000 pounds +. Also the seat on that particular forklift is facing sideways and the driver had his back to the racking that he hit. Some companies will supply mirrors so the drivers can see behind them and some companies will not. But mirrors are not that effective when you are so close to an object.

I was a good forklift driver and I cannot remember any times that I damaged anything in the warehouse or freight docks. But I have seen many drivers make major mistakes. From drivers that slid or drove off the freight dock to drivers that had collisions or damaged freight. I know that accidents happen. The companies have to have equipment that will hold up to small mistakes; it is inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events