Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 11:56 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Oh, please. I do not have to deal with a morbidly obese person encroaching on my paid for seat. The airline does. The airline needs to step up and enforce a policy where if you spill into someone else's seat then you need to buy two seats. It is entirely visible to gate agents as to who will grossly extend into their neighbor's seat and space.

Like I said earlier, I was effectively pinned into my seat by a morbidly obese person. I could not move. She overlapped me even as I was twisted and squished all the way into the aisle (5'7" 136 lbs - always on a diet). It was very uncomfortable and verging on painful. Five hour flight. No thanks. I was fortunate that I was able to move after being trapped that way for 30 terrible minutes.

maybe you may be obnoxious in some way to another too.

it sounds like you need to fly first class or you buy two seats so no one encroached on your space

or ask for section in the plane for the physically perfect

suppose you are seated near a busy child,or someone whose handicap intrudes or affects your sensibilities would you survive that horrible ordeal??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 02:50 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post

it sounds like you need to fly first class or you buy two seats so no one encroached on your space

suppose you are seated near a busy child,or someone whose handicap intrudes or affects your sensibilities would you survive that horrible ordeal??
You're kidding, right?

Old 03-07-2019, 07:21 PM

91 posts, read 31,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
You're kidding, right?
I can only hope she's kidding, but I suspect she isn't. To think that YOU should have to purchase a first-class seat, or two seats, to avoid having someone encroach upon your space...To think that YOU should have to tolerate someone's annoying child or another's handicap that intrudes upon you...God, I just don't know where these people come from.

How about this instead, auntie? Let's expect over-sized people, those with "busy" kids, the handicapped, or anyone else to find a way to get to their destination without encroaching upon the rights of other people. Doesn't that sound more fair?

Old 03-08-2019, 09:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:

There should be separate flights for these people. Certain flights running throughout the day that allow children and obese people and certain flights that don't. (I have no problem with the elderly or handicapped).

I would absolutely pay more a flight sans children & fatties.

I had a child screaming and kicking the seat behind me 19 hours from NYC to Guangzhou. Child didn't sleep a lick and the parents didn't do anything. For the over $1k that I paid, that is not right. I was a paying customer just like anyone else …

I have no problem with children and fat people on my flight, as long as they make an effort to not bother other passengers. If you have a child, put movies and toys in front of them, figure out how to keep them quiet and discipline them when they are doing things like screaming or kicking seats. If you are fat, then pick your seat accordingly.

The large problem is that many people with children and people who are obese expect everyone else to cater to them. NO WAY!

Old 03-08-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rftw View Post
I can only hope she's kidding, but I suspect she isn't. To think that YOU should have to purchase a first-class seat, or two seats, to avoid having someone encroach upon your space...To think that YOU should have to tolerate someone's annoying child or another's handicap that intrudes upon you...God, I just don't know where these people come from.

How about this instead, auntie? Let's expect over-sized people, those with "busy" kids, the handicapped, or anyone else to find a way to get to their destination without encroaching upon the rights of other people. Doesn't that sound more fair?
no discrimination is fair but for the grace of God that handicapped person,tired parent and child or person touching your space could have been you.

coach seats are small people are in close contact,so if one has an issue with that get bigger seats in first class oror find and book an airline that admits only perfect people and ensures your comfort over all other things

Old 03-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
There should be separate flights for these people. Certain flights running throughout the day that allow children and obese people and certain flights that don't. (I have no problem with the elderly or handicapped).

I would absolutely pay more a flight sans children & fatties.

I had a child screaming and kicking the seat behind me 19 hours from NYC to Guangzhou. Child didn't sleep a lick and the parents didn't do anything. For the over $1k that I paid, that is not right. I was a paying customer just like anyone else …

I have no problem with children and fat people on my flight, as long as they make an effort to not bother other passengers. If you have a child, put movies and toys in front of them, figure out how to keep them quiet and discipline them when they are doing things like screaming or kicking seats. If you are fat, then pick your seat accordingly.

The large problem is that many people with children and people who are obese expect everyone else to cater to them. NO WAY!
find out what airline would put these intolerable people in the back of the plane so as not to annoy you.

I am handicapped and older and have almost been knocked to the ground or grumbled at cause in a line I move slowly so I have encountered your type.

these people are paying customers too and you do not know their circumstances but maybe you will understand someday but I doubt that

Old 03-08-2019, 04:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:
find out what airline would put these intolerable people in the back of the plane so as not to annoy you.

I am handicapped and older and have almost been knocked to the ground or grumbled at cause in a line I move slowly so I have encountered your type.

these people are paying customers too and you do not know their circumstances but maybe you will understand someday but I doubt that
Old ppl and handicapped ppl are not an issue for me ... they cant control their situation. Parents should discipline their kids & fatties should be mindful of who is next to them. Old ppl & handicapped ppl cant control the fact that they are old or handicapped.

Being fat is controllable. So is having consideration for those around you.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Old ppl and handicapped ppl are not an issue for me ... they cant control their situation. Parents should discipline their kids & fatties should be mindful of who is next to them. Old ppl & handicapped ppl cant control the fact that they are old or handicapped.

Some parents cannot parent period worked professionally with them and some people are large due to medical issues or treat
ment both out of their control,may have to fly for treatment and cannot afford two seats as I said before people who have issues with other passengers need to make it known when booking and not expect strangers to cater to them.
consideration is a two way street and they may be just as unhappy with the seat mate next to them

Old 03-08-2019, 04:22 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:

Being an immature meanie (I'd like to use a harsher word but can't here) is also controllable... but you seem to lack that discipline, so perhaps there are other "personality defects" one cannot easily control? And if you think weight problems are also easily managed, you have clearly never dealt with one.

Your "if I believe the condition is within their control, I can be rude and demanding" theory has other flaws, too. What if someone is disabled because of a stupid decision, like driving drunk and getting into a wreck? Or smoking for 40+ years and having heart problems as a result? So many things can be attributed to lifestyle choices, even getting old (or not) to some degree. So once you start judging people in this manner, you're going to end up sliding down a very slippery slope. Heck, one day YOU might be the one annoying others because of something "controllable" in their eyes. Karma's a you-know-what.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:20 PM

91 posts, read 31,640 times
Quote:
no discrimination is fair but for the grace of God that handicapped person,tired parent and child or person touching your space could have been you.
Some discrimination is not only fair but necessary, as in this case. And no, it couldn't have been me, because I make a conscious effort to not encroach upon the rights of others.
Quote:
coach seats are small people are in close contact,so if one has an issue with that get bigger seats in first class oror find and book an airline that admits only perfect people and ensures your comfort over all other things
Wrong again. Coach class is normal people confined to an assigned space. So, if YOU aren't able to occupy only your assigned space or refrain from infringing upon the rights of others in their space(IN ANY WAY, FOR WHATEVER REASON), it is YOU who should find other arrangements. It is not the responsibility of the rest of us to accommodate YOUR obesity, YOUR ill-behaved child, YOUR handicap, or anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events